testtest

My uncle's guns.

Bassbob

Emissary
So some of you may recall my mom's brother killed himself ( shot himself) about a month ago. So I was over there today with his daughter helping her clean the place out. He had a few guns he had told me years ago he wanted me to have and she gave them to me today. Some pretty cool ones too.

1951 Winchester 97 w/ 30" barrel. Someone had put the mag tube back 180 degrees out so the tube kept coming out when I cycled the action. Once I figured that out it operates flawlessly. Good thing I looked too because the mag tube and spring were as cruddy as any I've ever seen. Plus it had a big ass wooden plug in there.

Glenfield Marlin Model 30 lever action 30-30. Real nice condition. Pre -1983 is about as far as I have it dated as of yet. This gun will likely become part of a trade deal with a gunsmith buddy of mine.

J Stevens Arms Co. Model 38B .410. Very dirty, but functions perfectly. External box magazine. Looks to be 4 or 5 rounds.

1976 Glenfield Marlin Model 60. The ol' Jamomatic. Some of these need the little kit to feed reliably and some don't. We shall see.

And finally the ol' "Click Clack" Gill gun. Springfield Savage model 87A semi auto/bolt action .22L/.22S/.22LR

He had mentioned he had a pistol, but since it wasn't included in the collection I am assuming it is "THE" pistol and the cops probably have it. No idea what it was and I don't think I would want it anyway.

Hi Bob,

A very unfortunate way to obtain a collection, sorry. But I'm sure you will honor your uncle and cherish his memory as you care for his belongings.

All the best,

Cliff
To be honest I was surprised he had guns. I never knew him to hunt or shoot. He was in the army when he was young. He was very liberal. We never talked politics though. He was also my godfather and my favorite uncle. He had medical issues but none of us saw this coming. My mom is still devastated.

Sorry to hear that about your uncle.

My grandfather had one of those Springfield 87’s, and my dad has one of those 60’s…
Thanks brother.

That 87 is really interesting to me. I've had a few of the 60s and gave them both away. They're hit or miss as far as reliability and the two I had were misses. I'll keep this one though and if it's a miss my buddy ( The gunsmith) will put one of those kits in it. I think it's a spring and something else he says.

The wife wants a .22 rifle, but she has indicated she wants one of her own, not free reign over one of mine. I think she wants to pick out a new one. I've been avoiding it since I know she wants it to shoot feral cats.

i had no idea about your uncle @Bassbob. I am sorry that this happened. I hope your mom comes to terms with her brother’s death and looks back to better days with him. I also hope that you are okay.
Thanks Mike. My mother is still sensitive when these things happen. Ironic since her brother is the 3rd person in her immediate family who shot themselves to death and one of her other brothers did it with pills. And her son, my brother died of a fentanyl overdose in 2017 and her first grandchild killed herself accidentally with heroin. She's busy taking care of my dad who has dementia so that keeps her distracted. One of her sisters has started coming around every week and on holidays after years of no contact. That makes her very happy plus she has help with my dad. I get up there a couple days a week, but I can't help her as much as I would like since I have to work so much.

Thanks Mike. My mother is still sensitive when these things happen. Ironic since her brother is the 3rd person in her immediate family who shot themselves to death and one of her other brothers did it with pills. And her son, my brother died of a fentanyl overdose in 2017 and her first grandchild killed herself accidentally with heroin. She's busy taking care of my dad who has dementia so that keeps her distracted. One of her sisters has started coming around every week and on holidays after years of no contact. That makes her very happy plus she has help with my dad. I get up there a couple days a week, but I can't help her as much as I would like since I have to work so much.
Wow. That is a lot of pain for one family to go through. I hope brighter days are ahead.

Sorry for your loss. Bad way to get firearms. My best friend had a 60, the worst thing for them is the wax he said.it gums them up terrible. He had a wicked way of dealing with it. Boiled water in a l long tube and stuck the action in for a bit. Pulled it out blew it dry with the air hose sprayed it with lube. Always worked well after.

Lotta pain there, glad she is reconnecting with her sister. My mom was really freaked when I bought a bike because 3 of her family died on motorcycles.

So some of you may recall my mom's brother killed himself ( shot himself) about a month ago. So I was over there today with his daughter helping her clean the place out. He had a few guns he had told me years ago he wanted me to have and she gave them to me today. Some pretty cool ones too.

1951 Winchester 97 w/ 30" barrel. Someone had put the mag tube back 180 degrees out so the tube kept coming out when I cycled the action. Once I figured that out it operates flawlessly. Good thing I looked too because the mag tube and spring were as cruddy as any I've ever seen. Plus it had a big ass wooden plug in there.

Glenfield Marlin Model 30 lever action 30-30. Real nice condition. Pre -1983 is about as far as I have it dated as of yet. This gun will likely become part of a trade deal with a gunsmith buddy of mine.

J Stevens Arms Co. Model 38B .410. Very dirty, but functions perfectly. External box magazine. Looks to be 4 or 5 rounds.

1976 Glenfield Marlin Model 60. The ol' Jamomatic. Some of these need the little kit to feed reliably and some don't. We shall see.

And finally the ol' "Click Clack" Gill gun. Springfield Savage model 87A semi auto/bolt action .22L/.22S/.22LR

He had mentioned he had a pistol, but since it wasn't included in the collection I am assuming it is "THE" pistol and the cops probably have it. No idea what it was and I don't think I would want it anyway.
Very sad your Uncle passed that way. My wife's brother killed himself with a pistol I gave him. Glad your Uncle left you his guns as I'm sure you will take good care of them. I've always liked Winchester 97's and had a Glenfield Marlin model 60 that did jam a lot.

Thanks everyone. Most of the really terrible stuff happened in 2017. By now time has done it's thing. My uncle dying was a surprise, but far from the worst we've had to deal with I think.

I got 3 of the 5 guns cleaned and ready for action. They were all filthy as hell. I'm pretty excited about the '97. It's smooth as glass and I can't wait to get to the range with it.

Back