testtest

My Wish List Just Grew by 2 Guns in One Day

wmg1299

Professional
I'm always interested in new designs, but I can't remember ever having two of them announced on the same day (outside of Shot Show). I don't tend to count Shot Show releases because most of those have either been leaked weeks before the show, or are essentially prototypes that may never even be released on the market.

The new Sig 322 will almost certainly become my favorite plinker. It's hard for anyone to beat 20 & 25 round magazines in a reliable rimfire handgun, and Sig throws in fiber-optic sights to boot.

I've been interested in semi-auto shotguns for awhile, but was waiting until I had the funds to afford a Beretta 1301 Tactical or one of the Benelli models. If the new Mossberg 940 Tactical is as good as early reviews claim, it may be my first quality semi-auto 12 gauge purchase.

I'm always interested in new designs, but I can't remember ever having two of them announced on the same day (outside of Shot Show). I don't tend to count Shot Show releases because most of those have either been leaked weeks before the show, or are essentially prototypes that may never even be released on the market.

The new Sig 322 will almost certainly become my favorite plinker. It's hard for anyone to beat 20 & 25 round magazines in a reliable rimfire handgun, and Sig throws in fiber-optic sights to boot.

I've been interested in semi-auto shotguns for awhile, but was waiting until I had the funds to afford a Beretta 1301 Tactical or one of the Benelli models. If the new Mossberg 940 Tactical is as good as early reviews claim, it may be my first quality semi-auto 12 gauge purchase.

I posted a thread about the 940 last night. Complete with a 500 round torture test by that lawyer dude James from TFB TV.

Does your gut tell you that it will be as good as the Benelli and Beretta models? I'm a diehard fan of Mossberg pumps, but I don't know much about semi-auto shotguns in general?

Well, I don't think it will be quite in the same league, but I believe it will be more than reliable enough for guys like us. Did you watch the video ? If not, you should. Mossberg states you should not run more than 250 rounds through it without cleaning it, but it has been reported that the real number is somewhere around 800 rounds. The conventional wisdom is that if you let it get that dirty, the gun will run, but carbon may be so baked on that getting it off will become extremely difficult. This is the first Mossberg autoloader with a self cleaning gas piston, which until now has been pretty much the forte of the Beretta/Benelli.

James and his buddy ran 500 through it at one time without a stoppage. It even fired a 3 1/2" mag ( it only has a 3" chamber). They had to pry the hull out, but the gun fired it just fine.

I am a Mossberg fan, but frankly this is the first Mossberg auto that caught my attention. Do I think it's as good or as reliable as a Beretta or a Benelli ? I don't really know. Probably not quite. There are testimonies I have heard of guys running thousands of rounds through a 1301 over a period of years and never ever cleaning it with no issues. I am a guy who cleans his guns ( most likely you are too), so this wasn't really a big selling point for me. I do think it's probably the best American made automatic tactical shotgun we've seen on the planet so far and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. In fact anyone who isn't hung up on the Beretta/Benelli name should have no reservations buying one. I see myself with one in the future.

Mossberg states you should not run more than 250 rounds through it without cleaning it, but it has been reported that the real number is somewhere around 800 rounds. The conventional wisdom is that if you let it get that dirty, the gun will run, but carbon may be so baked on that getting it off will become extremely difficult. This is the first Mossberg autoloader with a self cleaning gas piston, which until now has been pretty much the forte of the Beretta/Benelli.
I think that part of the video was referring to their current 930 Tactical being recommended for cleaning every 250 rounds. Mossberg is supposedly recommending 1500 rounds between cleanings for the new 940 Pro. That's one of the things that got my attention. It sounds awesome, but possibly a little too good to be true.

How would the 1500 round number compare to the Beretta and the Benelli? I like that the Mossberg is going to be more affordable (probably $900 or so when initial demand dies down), but I'd rather grab the Sig 322 right away and just wait until I can afford the Benelli or Beretta if the Mossberg won't truly be in the same quality range. If the Mossberg will be just as good, I'm stuck with 2 guns that I'm tempted to buy upon release.

I think that part of the video was referring to their current 930 Tactical being recommended for cleaning every 250 rounds. Mossberg is supposedly recommending 1500 rounds between cleanings for the new 940 Pro. That's one of the things that got my attention. It sounds awesome, but possibly a little too good to be true.

How would the 1500 round number compare to the Beretta and the Benelli? I like that the Mossberg is going to be more affordable (probably $900 or so when initial demand dies down), but I'd rather grab the Sig 322 right away and just wait until I can afford the Benelli or Beretta if the Mossberg won't truly be in the same quality range. If the Mossberg will be just as good, I'm stuck with 2 guns that I'm tempted to buy upon release.
Well like I said, there are people who have never cleaned their 1301s. That explains my confusion though. James said other people who have shot the new 940 said, if memory serves, they had issues between 650 and 800 rounds.

I suspect the Mossberg will end up around $800. You can't touch a 1301 for less than $1400 now.

I'd like to see Mossberg offer this with a pistol grip stock option.

Back