testtest

Navigating Your Options for Concealed Carry Firearms

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
In this quick guide, it breaks down the advantages and disadvantages of various concealed carry options, such as – revolvers, semi-automatic pistols, and subcompact pistols, as well as provide recommendations for some of the better options on the market.

Navigating Your Options for Concealed Carry Firearms

owb-concealed-1024x726.jpg

No, he did not classify the Hellcat as a compact, he stated the Hellcat was a subcompact same as the Shield.

He did classify the P365 as a compact and it probably should have been in the same as the others.

His big mistake was separating favorite concealed handguns, and including the Hellcat in the overall category and then leaving it out of his sub compact favorites. That muddied the waters a bit confusingly. If it is one of his favorites, how is it not one of his favorite subcompacts since he classed it a subcompact.

Its not really that bad an article, he simply needs to have it proof read by someone who can point out a few of the confusing areas for polishing. Overall it really is not a bad article for beginners to dip thier toes into the CC market of options.

Part of the problem with this type article is most sites have a min and maximum word count you must adhere to. The tough thing is to get all the information you desire into the size constraints. The biggest trick is to self edit coherently. It might have been better to leave out sonething like his sub compact area and simply leave it the broad initial classification of conceal carry pistols like he did revolvers.

Last edited:
No, he did not classify the Hellcat as a compact, he stated the Hellcat was a subcompact same as the Shield.

He did classify the P365 as a compact and it probably should have been in the same as the others.

His big mistake was separating favorite concealed handguns, and including the Hellcat in the overall category and then leaving it out of his sub compact favorites. That muddied the waters a bit confusingly. If it is one of his favorites, how is it not one of his favorite subcompacts since he classed it a subcompact.

Its not really that bad an article, he simply needs to have it proof read by someone who can point out a few of the confusing areas for polishing. Overall it really is not a bad article for beginners to dip thier toes into the CC market of options.

Part of the problem with this type article is most sites have a min and maximum word count you must adhere to. The tough thing is to get all the information you desire into the size constraints. The biggest trick is to self edit coherently. It might have been better to leave out sonething like his sub compact area and simply leave it the broad initial classification of conceal carry pistols like he did revolvers.
Well he put it under the wrong heading then because it is under the heading "Favorite semi auto pistols for CC", then well under the Hellcat is the talking about subcompacts and the heading "Favorite subcompact pistols for CC".

So maybe he just needs a basic English Comp 101 class.

Well he put it under the wrong heading then because it is under the heading "Favorite semi auto pistols for CC", then well under the Hellcat is the talking about subcompacts and the heading "Favorite subcompact pistols for CC".

So maybe he just needs a basic English Comp 101 class.

Perhaps

Agreed, part of the problem is a lot of sites have editors which enforce a certain set of guidelines. In some cases the article is sent back for rewrites, in some cases the editor will change it sonetimes actually changing what the author intended. In some cases there are no editors at all.

It can make for some very sloppy and seemingly disorganized thought processes.

They lost me when they classified the Shield with the sub compacts like the LCR and the Kimber Micro, but classified the Hellcat as a compact.
Lost me with the Taurus Judge. Carry what you want, no skin off my nose, BUT suggesting a Judge or Govenor is like suggesting a 7.5 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk or a single shot muzzle loading derringer. Great guns for what they are, but not for CCW, IMHO.

Lost me with the Taurus Judge. Carry what you want, no skin off my nose, BUT suggesting a Judge or Govenor is like suggesting a 7.5 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk or a single shot muzzle loading derringer. Great guns for what they are, but not for CCW, IMHO.
Not really, the Judge can be had in a fairly compact carry option, not a fan of the Judge but gotta give them thier dues. They can be a viable concealed carry option.

The Wiley Clap gp100 is considered a fairly concealable full frame .357 magnum and it is considerably bigger.

0-handgunhero-ruger-gp100-wiley-clapp-3-vs-taurus-judge-public-defender-2-5-out.png

It's not something I would carry every day but it sure looks doable.

2-handgunhero-ruger-lcr-vs-taurus-judge-public-defender-2-5-in.png

The Ruger Commander in .45 is actually bigger and heavier. And people carry them all the time.

Last edited:
When I was doing the basic concealed weapons course for civilians I put about 20 handguns on the table for students to handle and to find a proper fit. My criteria for a carry gun has always been that it fits your hand, you can operate it, it is centerfire, it is reliable, and most importantly, you can hit the target with it.

A number of students showed up with guns chosen for them by someone else who may have been well meaning but not knowledgeable. Gun store clerks are notorious for pushing bad choices. Example: A 70 year-old woman with an Airweight revolver will usually want to get rid of it after firing the first shot and experiencing the recoil; a person who cannot operate the action has a useless piece of metal. The ergonomics of the gun need to fit the shooter. Then there are trigger weights, trigger finger length and strength, physical disabilities, and the list goes on. A lot of thought and trial goes into getting the right fit. And a person who cannot shoot the gun comfortably is not going to practice with it. Different strokes for different folks.

When I was doing the basic concealed weapons course for civilians I put about 20 handguns on the table for students to handle and to find a proper fit. My criteria for a carry gun has always been that it fits your hand, you can operate it, it is centerfire, it is reliable, and most importantly, you can hit the target with it.

A number of students showed up with guns chosen for them by someone else who may have been well meaning but not knowledgeable. Gun store clerks are notorious for pushing bad choices. Example: A 70 year-old woman with an Airweight revolver will usually want to get rid of it after firing the first shot and experiencing the recoil; a person who cannot operate the action has a useless piece of metal. The ergonomics of the gun need to fit the shooter. Then there are trigger weights, trigger finger length and strength, physical disabilities, and the list goes on. A lot of thought and trial goes into getting the right fit. And a person who cannot shoot the gun comfortably is not going to practice with it. Different strokes for different folks.
My wife (who has never fired a gun) has arthritis in her wrists and cannot rack most semi-autos and I suspect would not be able to handle the recoil of a wheel gun. However, the two guns she can rack are my Sig M17 and my FN545. I’m sure no one would recommend either as a newbie’s first gun for anything, but the truth is that both are pretty soft shooters. That’s why I think that lightweight, generic articles like the one posted can be as much a disservice as helpful, because as all of you know, if it’s on the internet it’s gotta be true.

Last edited:
Back