testtest

New Saint Pistol 5.56 Owner

S41nt

Alpha
I'm the happy owner of a new Saint 5.56 pistol, and looking for clarity as I am fairly new to AR-15 world.

While I intend to learn the weapon in its standard configuration, I would eventually like to make modifications (barrel length, stock, etc.). Are there any restrictions on barrel length or stock I should be aware of?

I've read since it is registered as a pistol there is no limit to how long the barrel can be if using with a brace. If barrel is +16" I can then use a stock (then it becomes a rifle), but anything less than 16" requires brace. Is this true? I am based in Florida, and for purposes of keeping this simple I am not considering fore grips at this time.

I'm the happy owner of a new Saint 5.56 pistol, and looking for clarity as I am fairly new to AR-15 world.

While I intend to learn the weapon in its standard configuration, I would eventually like to make modifications (barrel length, stock, etc.). Are there any restrictions on barrel length or stock I should be aware of?

I've read since it is registered as a pistol there is no limit to how long the barrel can be if using with a brace. If barrel is +16" I can then use a stock (then it becomes a rifle), but anything less than 16" requires brace. Is this true? I am based in Florida, and for purposes of keeping this simple I am not considering fore grips at this time.
My opinion is while you look into those changes I’d run the gun, you may find you really like it as is. Keep in mind when you change the barrel to something longer you will also need a gas block and gas tube. You also can’t just add a stock, you’ll need to change the buffer tube. You have a great AR Pistol if you want a AR Rifle buy one.

Agree with Keystone. @S41nt, I had the same thought process as you when I got my first AR but when you start looking at the economics of changing out the barrel, gas block, hand guard, brace to stock, buffer tube, etc it really makes more sense to enjoy what you have and save up to buy a rifle later. The price difference between changing all that and buying new is really only a couple of hundred dollars.
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks @Keystone19250 & @OkiePewPew. Conceivably, could I buy a full upper and would that simplify the barrel switch (gas block, gas tube, etc)? Or am I way off base?

Understood about the brace to stock switch.

Part of me likes the idea of having one AR lower receiver that I could switch barrell/stocks as I don't shoot much. But, like I said, I'm new to this world so this could be the complete wrong way to do it.

As already stated the cost difference to change all of that out on your lower all you save really is the cost of the lower receiver. Also, you don't really want to get caught up with you were sold a pistol and then you make all of those changes and now the serial is to a pistol but you modified it into a rifle.

If you buy a rifle and change out the upper so that you have a .308 vs a 5.56 they don't really care. Worse case is you have to change the weight of the buffer and buffer spring.

As already stated the cost difference to change all of that out on your lower all you save really is the cost of the lower receiver. Also, you don't really want to get caught up with you were sold a pistol and then you make all of those changes and now the serial is to a pistol but you modified it into a rifle.

If you buy a rifle and change out the upper so that you have a .308 vs a 5.56 they don't really care. Worse case is you have to change the weight of the buffer and buffer spring.
Don't forget it has a pistol buffer tube!

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding this or not, if so, forgive me. You can’t put a .308 upper on a .556 lower. The lower specs for both calibers are different. *Generally* you can turn a pistol AR into a rifle, it’s turning a rifle into a pistol that, without getting the Feds involved is troublesome. As is now, being an AR pistol, don’t put a stock on it (SBR)

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding this or not, if so, forgive me. You can’t put a .308 upper on a .556 lower. The lower specs for both calibers are different. *Generally* you can turn a pistol AR into a rifle, it’s turning a rifle into a pistol that, without getting the Feds involved is troublesome. As is now, being an AR pistol, don’t put a stock on it (SBR)
I think it's a 308 as in 30cal(300bo)? That's what others mention anyway? I can't remember who posted something in that manner?

I think it's a 308 as in 30cal(300bo)? That's what others mention anyway? I can't remember who posted something in that manner?

I don’t know, I know the title to this thread is for Saint 5.56 and the OP asking a couple questions about changing stuff out and wanted to let him know that a .30 cal .308 that was posted could not go onto a 5.56 lower.

It should have been .300 BO, I guess the coffee wasn't in full effect yet. LOL

Back