testtest

New to AR's

So I just purchased my first AR. Been wanting a 300 BLK AR pistol for some time now and finally grabbed one recently. Now i know there are lots of "rules" when it comes to AR pistols and the ATF and all that but my question is, would it be legal to replace the shockwave brace that it came with, to a different brace, for example a SB3 tactical brace maybe? Or am i not "allowed" to make any modifications of any kind?

Just to be sure, is it also okay to replace the upper with a 556 upper as well? (As long as it's short enough of course). Would love to buy a 556 upper also and have it interchangeable with the 300 AAC.

I know people do all those types of customizations when building their AR, but i'm just not sure if it's allowed when it's an already built one from a company.

Just to be sure, is it also okay to replace the upper with a 556 upper as well? (As long as it's short enough of course). Would love to buy a 556 upper also and have it interchangeable with the 300 AAC.

I know people do all those types of customizations when building their AR, but i'm just not sure if it's allowed when it's an already built one from a company.

Yes, it’s fine to swap uppers. 26” overall length in a classified AR pistol, which is what would have been marked on your paperwork will make it not good. Also changing out the stock to, what would normally be a 6 position stock found on most AR’s would classify it as an SBR. Any other stock, such as the SB3 or 4 will be fine. So swap out uppers as you wish from 22lr to 5.56.

Yes, it’s fine to swap uppers. 26” overall length in a classified AR pistol, which is what would have been marked on your paperwork will make it not good. Also changing out the stock to, what would normally be a 6 position stock found on most AR’s would classify it as an SBR. Any other stock, such as the SB3 or 4 will be fine. So swap out uppers as you wish from 22lr to 5.56.
Actually, since you bought the firearm as a pistol, you can add any length barrel for the upper. If you bought an upper with a 16” barrel, you be carrying a rifle. If you bought a 10.5” barrel for the upper in 5.56, you’d be carrying a pistol again since it’s the lower that is licensed. So, you really don’t need to worry about the length of the upper you buy.

And you can get an adjustable brace for it. Just make sure your length of pull stays under 13.5”. I replaced the SBA on my pistol with a Gearhead Works Tailhook Mod 2, which is adjustable. And the Tailhook has been approved as a brace by the ATF.

Actually, since you bought the firearm as a pistol, you can add any length barrel for the upper. If you bought an upper with a 16” barrel, you be carrying a rifle. If you bought a 10.5” barrel for the upper in 5.56, you’d be carrying a pistol again since it’s the lower that is licensed. So, you really don’t need to worry about the length of the upper you buy.

And you can get an adjustable brace for it. Just make sure your length of pull stays under 13.5”. I replaced the SBA on my pistol with a Gearhead Works Tailhook Mod 2, which is adjustable. And the Tailhook has been approved as a brace by the ATF.

A pistol can be turned into a rifle, not the other way around. With the adjustable stock I was just referencing The SB3/4, knowing there was more than one offering available. However, if you put a 6 position, which the SB3/4 variants are 5 position, on. AR pistol it is considered an SBR. So, Talihook or SB3/4 or whichever “brace” you wish to use in an AR pistol is fine. What I am referring to when I say stock is the buffer tube. That is what has the holes in it.

Just to clear the air, what matters is when you fool with the buttstock/buffer tube. If you put a “rifle length” upper on a pistol, cool. If you change the stock/ buffer tube out to make it a rifle, awesome. If you put your 10.5” barrel back on with said stock buffer tube, you have an SBR. Not good.

So I just purchased my first AR. Been wanting a 300 BLK AR pistol for some time now and finally grabbed one recently. Now i know there are lots of "rules" when it comes to AR pistols and the ATF and all that but my question is, would it be legal to replace the shockwave brace that it came with, to a different brace, for example a SB3 tactical brace maybe? Or am i not "allowed" to make any modifications of any kind?
Absolutely it's legal, for now. A great brace is just as good as an SBR in practice ala the SB3 or the Maxim Brace.

Back