testtest

New to Red/Green Dot Sights

Need recommendation for optic for Springfield Echelon. I have been an iron sight guy for a long time. Willing to try an optic. I looked at Holosun and got a headache researching all of the models. I guess I’m looking for a 2 MOA with/without 36 MOA ring. Willing to consider other brands.

Thank you in advance.

I have a Holosun HE507K-G X2 green dot with Multiple Reticle System, 2MOA dot in a 32MOA circle, on my Echelon. I've used others, which I will list below, but I like the operation and features of this particular unit. I chose green as I can see it easier than red.

I have a Hellcat RDP with an ADE Optics RD3-021G, another green dot with a similar reticle style as the Holosun 507K. This is the first of the ADE brand I have purchased, and it has very few rounds on it but so far, so good.

I also have the Holosun HE507K-G X2 on my Echelon. I also have this unit on my Masada Slim. As @TestMule has said, I prefer the green dot, as I can see it better and I like the features like shake awake, and the fact that you can change the battery without having to remove the optic.

I also have the Holosun HE507K-G X2 on my Echelon. I also have this unit on my Masada Slim. As @TestMule has said, I prefer the green dot, as I can see it better and I like the features like shake awake, and the fact that you can change the battery without having to remove the optic.
Do you feel that this solar backup feature is a necessity or gimmick? This will be a range and home defense pistol.

Do you feel that this solar backup feature is a necessity or gimmick? This will be a range and home defense pistol.

Correction to my first post:

I have the Holosun HE507K-GR X2 which does not have the solar panel on it.

In answer to your question, I don't feel the feature is a necessity given the shake awake/auto sleep feature which saves on battery usage. Also, unlike some optics, you don't have to remove the sight from the firearm to replace the battery.

One rule I follow is that I replace the battery in all my optics once a year, kind of like changing the battery in your smoke alarm, because it is not expensive and gives me peace of mind. Even so, since my iron sights are co-witnessed to the optic if I lost power I can still fire and hit what I am aiming at.

Whatever you get stay away from not so well known. I have personally had luck with Leupold Delta Point Pro and have seen a local agency that run Aimpoint Acro P2. Trijicon as well as Hokosun all do well.

I also took a Red Dot class from Dave Spaulding about 3 years ago and shortly after he tested a Bushnell 250 that for the money is he said is prettty darn good even though Bushnell doesn’t get a lot of fanfare from agency folks

Good luck

As mentioned, just about any of the Holosuns are good. I particularly like the EPS Carry in green. It is an enclosed emitter and sits very low on the gun and has the 2 moa dot/32 moa circle option. I also concur with the Deltapoint Pro, I have several. It is an outstanding optic, but it sits very high on the pistol and will require suppressor height sights.

Mine doesn't have that solar thing. I figure, if you change the battery regularly instead of waiting for it to die, you're good to go. Solar back up is fine, but not really necessary IMHO. The shake awake feature saves your battery also..

I did some research on Holosun optics. The info for the HE-507K-G-X2 states that it is for sub-compact pistols. Is its size a problem for the Echelon? Otherwise , the 507C series states for large pistols like the Echelon.

I did some research on Holosun optics. The info for the HE-507K-G-X2 states that it is for sub-compact pistols. Is its size a problem for the Echelon? Otherwise , the 507C series states for large pistols like the Echelon.
Not a problem at all. Just know that the rear pins in the set SA suggests in the manual are unnecessary and you may need to order screws. It actually fits the Echelon very well.

If you are a newbie to red dots you are going to want a larger window. The reality is that if you train properly - and you should regularly - you will learn the correct technique for bringing your gun out of a holster or low ready and the dot is there on target. When you get there it doesn’t really matter what the window size is because the dot is always there and the hoop or window frame becomes invisible. Also, it is my extensive experience that size of red dot has little impact on concealability.

Since you’re doing lots of research, here’s a video I share on red dot technique. I have trained with this team and it makes a huge difference.

Back