testtest

Noticed a sound in the M1A bolt

LouO311

Alpha
Hello, I have been upgrading my M1A CQB. Been very attentive lately and noticed something that either I never noticed before or maybe something is wrong with my rifle. First off, I recently replaced the spring guide with Sadlak NM guide, the rod spring and hammer spring with Tubb Precision CS springs. Changed the gas piston with a Sadlak TiN gas piston. Even replaced the buttstock and pistol grip with Magpul parts. Today I noticed when I insert a magazine it sounds as if the firing pin or something in the bolt slides a bit. Mind you I am fairly new to this platform. My main rifle experience was with the M16A2/M203 etc (I'm dating myself) in my Marine Infantry days back in the 90s. Was wondering if any of you gurus experienced this before and what to do if there indeed is a problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
M1A/M14, close enough...tough to decipher what your describing, especially after changing out the parts. You have however put in some nice parts. If you know anyone familiar with that platform I’d have them look at it or post a video of what your describing.
8E25AE32-40C3-4AC4-AA70-20841CB96CCA.jpeg

Hello, I have been upgrading my M1A CQB. Been very attentive lately and noticed something that either I never noticed before or maybe something is wrong with my rifle. First off, I recently replaced the spring guide with Sadlak NM guide, the rod spring and hammer spring with Tubb Precision CS springs. Changed the gas piston with a Sadlak TiN gas piston. Even replaced the buttstock and pistol grip with Magpul parts. Today I noticed when I insert a magazine it sounds as if the firing pin or something in the bolt slides a bit. Mind you I am fairly new to this platform. My main rifle experience was with the M16A2/M203 etc (I'm dating myself) in my Marine Infantry days back in the 90s. Was wondering if any of you gurus experienced this before and what to do if there indeed is a problem. Thanks in advance.
Its probably just the sound of the spring against the guide rod when the mag depresses the rod. It has a lot more surface area than the oem. Lube to see if it continues.

Thanks for the replies BangBang and Classified. Late last night after work I took apart the rifle and put the original spring guide rod to see if it made that noise with mag inserted. It did. Then I put the new one in again. Reinserted a mag and sound was gone. I believe I just didn't insert it fully. If that is the case then it seems I ate too many crayons back in the day lol. Jokes aside I really love this rifle. Don't get me wrong the AR has come a long way and there are some really solid AR's out there but this rifle is different. It's old school power but with modern design, at least the SOCOMs. And it's just fun to shoot. Forgot to mention I checked the bolt when I disassembled the rifle. No noise.

Last edited:
Back