testtest

Old dog new tricks, or something like that.

Sld1959

Hellcat
I want hammered fired pistols blued steel with safetys,
20210530_130407.jpg

I do not like or want plastic and strikers with no manual safety.

Yet, here I am and it has stayed for a year thus far. Granted it does not get carried a lot but it's still here.

20220415_095900.jpg

I want my watches, stainless steel, automatic movements, analog displays, divers bezels, rice bead bracelets.

20230707_103856.jpg

I do not want plastic cases, digital displays, health monitors etc. Yet what came in the mail today as a complete shock. Evidently my wife is worried that in my old age I am becoming a dottering old fool likely to get lost in the woods now that I hunt by myself. And will forget how to use a compass So here we are...

20240701_160255.jpg

Now I wonder if I will actually figure out how to use it and if it will stick around. Let's see in a year. It's a feather light sob I'll give it that much.

Last edited:
I have a 41 year-old cousin who cannot read an analog watch/clock face. At least she says she can't.
Most Jr. High/High School students can't either. This is why I keep an analog clock on the back classroom wall so I know how much time is left in class, but they don't.

Side note: about 50 percent of the adults I've met don't know that the seasons are opposite of each other between the north and south hemispheres.

Most Jr. High/High School students can't either. This is why I keep an analog clock on the back classroom wall so I know how much time is left in class, but they don't.

Side note: about 50 percent of the adults I've met don't know that the seasons are opposite of each other between the north and south hemispheres.
Hardly any of these things that can be named like telling time on an analog timepiece doesn't surprise me in the least. So many things we learned during our education, like telling time, making change, writing cursive, etc, etc, are going by the wayside these days. It seems the general attitude is that anything they need to know they can simply 'Google' it. I sometimes wonder how that will work if some 'bad guy' nation finds a way to take down the entire inter-web. That smart phone in their hand isn't going to seem too smart then.

To me, an older than dirt codger, this is scary. If in the future, there is no need for signatures (the excuse I've been given for not teaching cursive), how will legal papers be verified/authenticated? Or if no paper is required and everything is done 'on line', won't it make it easier for AI etc, to forge important papers and issues? I know I don't fully understand what the future holds similar to this example, but I'm pretty practical and a logical thinking and it truly bothers/worries me for the next & next generations. At least I won't be here to see it!

Hardly any of these things that can be named like telling time on an analog timepiece doesn't surprise me in the least. So many things we learned during our education, like telling time, making change, writing cursive, etc, etc, are going by the wayside these days. It seems the general attitude is that anything they need to know they can simply 'Google' it. I sometimes wonder how that will work if some 'bad guy' nation finds a way to take down the entire inter-web. That smart phone in their hand isn't going to seem too smart then.

To me, an older than dirt codger, this is scary. If in the future, there is no need for signatures (the excuse I've been given for not teaching cursive), how will legal papers be verified/authenticated? Or if no paper is required and everything is done 'on line', won't it make it easier for AI etc, to forge important papers and issues? I know I don't fully understand what the future holds similar to this example, but I'm pretty practical and a logical thinking and it truly bothers/worries me for the next & next generations. At least I won't be here to see it!
Just went through a divorce, and ALL legal documents were e-signed....meaning no personal signatures involved (July 2023). Includes county court documents, releases and asset transfers from financial firms (IRA's, 401k's, insurance companies...)

The only time we needed in-person signatures was to cancel a Spectrum cable TV service (that took months and the most headaches). No lie, the worst process was canceling cable TV. What a world.

Sad state of affairs.

What did they do in the days when people signed with an X? A signature is a contrived convention that will go by the wayside along with so many things that we took for granted growing up. I haven’t had a checkbook for years. The world will be fine and you can entertain the younguns by sitting in a corner at an arts and crafts show demonstrating how we used to tell time and how we paid for our groceries with a piece of paper in a little book that we would sign that was as good as money. By the way, my last book of checks was a Batman edition! Not sad to see them go. Nothing worse than waiting in the supermarket for some old codger to fill out their check or make exact change.

What did they do in the days when people signed with an X? A signature is a contrived convention that will go by the wayside along with so many things that we took for granted growing up. I haven’t had a checkbook for years. The world will be fine and you can entertain the younguns by sitting in a corner at an arts and crafts show demonstrating how we used to tell time and how we paid for our groceries with a piece of paper in a little book that we would sign that was as good as money. By the way, my last book of checks was a Batman edition! Not sad to see them go. Nothing worse than waiting in the supermarket for some old codger to fill out their check or make exact change.
Most do need to or required to fill out completely as they just scam the check.

I respect your choice in this matter, but I still write 30-40 checks a year to pay some bills via snail mail. In my life I've had CC fraud occur at least 30-40 times (on average once or twice/year. Last occurrence 40 days ago with a Visa). I've never had a problem with a check remitted causing check or bank fraud, not once. Lost in mail? Yes. Fraud? Never. I do not buy anything retail with a check mind you...I agree about waiting in line for anyone to write a check. I now lean heavily back toward cash...and I do NOT support a cashless society. When all your money is electronic, someone else holds power over your access to it and can be controlled in a less than perfect way (see social report cards). I refuse to buy from cashless retail outlets (fortunately few/none near me anyway). Venmo (et al)? Not a chance. In this way, I am truly conservative and I will not change. You are welcome to use the term Fudd when addressing me ;).

Edit: I HAVE written a couple of checks recently in a retail scenario....when buying guns. My LGS gives me 2% discount if I write a check rather than use CC (they don't use ApplePay or Venmo)...I have stumbled across a firearm priced at $3-4k...I don't carry that much cash...

I respect your choice in this matter, but I still write 30-40 checks a year to pay some bills via snail mail. In my life I've had CC fraud occur at least 30-40 times (on average once or twice/year. Last occurrence 40 days ago with a Visa). I've never had a problem with a check remitted causing check or bank fraud, not once. Lost in mail? Yes. Fraud? Never. I do not buy anything retail with a check mind you...I agree about waiting in line for anyone to write a check. I now lean heavily back toward cash...and I do NOT support a cashless society. When all your money is electronic, someone else holds power over your access to it and can be controlled in a less than perfect way (see social report cards). I refuse to buy from cashless retail outlets (fortunately few/none near me anyway). Venmo (et al)? Not a chance. In this way, I am truly conservative and I will not change. You are welcome to use the term Fudd when addressing me ;).

Edit: I HAVE written a couple of checks recently in a retail scenario....when buying guns. My LGS gives me 2% discount if I write a check rather than use CC (they don't use ApplePay or Venmo)...I have stumbled across a firearm priced at $3-4k...I don't carry that much cash...
I agree on paying bills w/ check.......well all of mine are within 60 miles of who/what gets paid. Problem I get when out of town and needing to write a check is authorization.............response for decline is "not enough history".........how stupid! My daily limit purchase is high enough to get me thru my days and I call the bank to have then authorize and special buys that really adds up (tires, appliances and similar stuff). This is done with a debit card as I don't care for cc. My bank does a real good job on fraud detection and reimburses easy. Some people who try low dollar purchases to see if it goes thru before higher dollar fraud. I get a text 1 night about a $2 purchase in south Texas and reply back (actually call them) and say there's no way I can have a $2 purchase (physically, not electronically) as I'm over 500 miles from there and done 30 minutes ago. I go thru debit card 2 or 3 times a year and I memorize all card info.

I’ve travelled worldwide on a regular basis using credit cards the whole time and checking the time on my phone regularly (which adjusts to time zones automatically). I don’t want to jinx myself, but the number of credit card fraud issues I’ve had to deal with I could count on 3 fingers. The world is changing, for the better IMO, and I’m happy to change with it and embrace it. You guys can hunker down in the corner of your big red barn, pining for the good ole days of Mayberry and Hee Haw, waiting for the sky to fall. 😎😇😜🙄

Just went through a divorce, and ALL legal documents were e-signed....meaning no personal signatures involved (July 2023). Includes county court documents, releases and asset transfers from financial firms (IRA's, 401k's, insurance companies...)

The only time we needed in-person signatures was to cancel a Spectrum cable TV service (that took months and the most headaches). No lie, the worst process was canceling cable TV. What a world.
OH, I understand it can be done, but it just seems to me that makes it so much easier to forge. The 'E' signature does not look at all like your signature. Almost like going back to the days when we all just 'made our mark' huh?

I’ve travelled worldwide on a regular basis using credit cards the whole time and checking the time on my phone regularly (which adjusts to time zones automatically). I don’t want to jinx myself, but the number of credit card fraud issues I’ve had to deal with I could count on 3 fingers. The world is changing, for the better IMO, and I’m happy to change with it and embrace it. You guys can hunker down in the corner of your big red barn, pining for the good ole days of Mayberry and Hee Haw, waiting for the sky to fall. 😎😇😜🙄
I am in awe....Almost like clockwork when I buy anything on Amazon...every 3rd purchase, a credit card fraud purchase occurs shortly thereafter. In addition, I was a hotel manager in a previous life. I dealt with credit card fraud charges monthly. Throughout my life I have NEVER had a fraud issue with a check written. If you've had only 3 fraud charges on your credit card(s) in your life, I find that to be an anomaly and almost unbelievable.

Mind you, I couldn't care less about CC fraud charges....my "banks" have always corrected the issue and I've never been out the $50 they claim as a "deductible". I simply believe from my experience, credit cards are far more susceptible to fraud than paying by check. I abhor the idea of a cashless society and no one will convince me otherwise. And I admit my travels are limited to the US and Canada, thus maybe the scoundrels are all here at home.

And finally, the fraud occurring on CC purchases is increasing. By this time next year I expect to have dealt with another 3-4 fraud issues.

Sorry for the diatribe, but Simon's experience with credit cards is opposite that of mine.

I am in awe....Almost like clockwork when I buy anything on Amazon...every 3rd purchase, a credit card fraud purchase occurs shortly thereafter. In addition, I was a hotel manager in a previous life. I dealt with credit card fraud charges monthly. Throughout my life I have NEVER had a fraud issue with a check written. If you've had only 3 fraud charges on your credit card(s) in your life, I find that to be an anomaly and almost unbelievable.

Mind you, I couldn't care less about CC fraud charges....my "banks" have always corrected the issue and I've never been out the $50 they claim as a "deductible". I simply believe from my experience, credit cards are far more susceptible to fraud than paying by check. I abhor the idea of a cashless society and no one will convince me otherwise. And I admit my travels are limited to the US and Canada, thus maybe the scoundrels are all here at home.

And finally, the fraud occurring on CC purchases is increasing. By this time next year I expect to have dealt with another 3-4 fraud issues.

Sorry for the diatribe, but Simon's experience with credit cards is opposite that of mine.

The thing about Amazon ( also banks and other financial institutions, Paypal, etc..) is that 99% of the time the hacking/fraud occurs on the users end not Amazon.

I have been buying things on-line for 20 years and only once was I fraudulated. Someone used my debit card for a phone sex session in Milwaukee. I called the phone sex place and they mistakenly reimbursed my money twice. So I actually got paid out of that one. That was the last time I ever used a debit card on-line though. Now I have a credit card specifically for internet stuff.

A couple helpful tips. Anytime you are doing a transaction on line begin by dragging a link to the exact item ( not just the website) to your desktop. Then clear your browser history and internet data and close your browser ( I always use Safari). Then open your browser by clicking on the hot link directly to your item. After the transaction, immediately clear your history and internet data again and close your browser.

I was thinking the same thing. I’m going to put it down to karma and me leading a good life! 😇🙄🤔😎

Back