testtest

Old vs. New: The Rifle Cartridge Debate

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Which Rifle Rounds Are Better?

Debate heats up routinely over the topic of old versus new cartridge, and everyone happily adds their concrete-hard views to the fray. Facts don’t get in the way, and mischaracterizations are the rule.

The traditionalists tend to see the modernists as a bunch of man bun-wearing, latte-sipping urban cowboys who never met a new cartridge they didn’t like, substitute technology for skill and drive Beamers to hunts. They view the 6.5 Creedmoor as an affront to their manhood, and love to predict the imminent death of every new cartridge.

The modernists tend to view the traditionalists as a bunch of surly, whisky-drinking grandpas who believe that modern cartridge development began and ended in 1906.

1719975969960.png

I guess I'm an old traditionalist caveman with my .308 Sears model 53 bolt action rifle (Win model 70 replica made for Sears). I bought it used over 40 years ago and it is still plenty accurate for my shooting distances in PA, usually 200 yds or less.

In support of my traditionalist caveman stance I also have my 30-30 Win model 94 for when I'm hunting deep down in the brush.

I've never desired a hunt where you sit back and take 500+ yard shots at animals.

I don't doubt the new calibers performances but I'm too old to worry about buying every new cartridge on the market ... and too resistant to paying the higher prices for their ammo.

I love my .308, my 270, my 7mm Mag... but I am not concrete tied to anything. For me the only reason I dont follow some of the trends and get some of these new rounds, even though a few of them May be better, is cash... I have adequate guns and ammo, it would take lots of cash to duplicate that in another caliber even if I really wanted to.

If I do get a new thing it will probably be 300PRC, tbd.

Last edited:
Good article for me as I am not a rifle cartridge shooter. I find distance shooting fascinating and can appreciate marksmen and their instruments. I don't like the idea of hunters taking real long shots, but shots at paper, steel or bad guys at incredible distances is incredible to me. I've heard of some of these before, but it isn't something I keep up with.

Me...? I don't really care. If you can go into almost any sporting goods store and find ammo that will work; that is the rifle cartridge I want. So right now for me that means .308, 7.62x39, and 5.56/.223. I don't have to hunt for it. Reload for it or do anything special beyond showing up at Scheels and picking up a box or two.

The ONLY improvement some new cartridges have is improved efficiency and contain more or all flame inside the case. But then again, there have been some of those designs for 40+ years. Nothing wrong with 30-06, 308win or 270win for American cartridges or any of the Sweeds.

My .30-30s and .308s do everything I need. I have no use for the latest, greatest wiz-bang cartridge to come along. If I didn't own a couple of ARs, I wouldn't even shoot 5.56 at all. :rolleyes:

My .30-30s and .308s do everything I need. I have no use for the latest, greatest wiz-bang cartridge to come along. If I didn't own a couple of ARs, I wouldn't even shoot 5.56 at all. :rolleyes:
There are definitely things you can do with a 16" 5.56 carbine that would be significantly more difficult with a 30-30 or a .308. Different tools for different tasks and all that.

Well, let's see, us Fuds have been killing game, killing bad guys, and winning long range matches with "obsolete" cartridges for over a century.
Has any of the new, 21st Century cartridges amassed the record of .30-30, 30-06, 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 7.62 NATO, 45-70, and a host of other antiquated rounds?
Product evolution is what it is, but change, as constant as it is, isn't welcome to most people, no matter what generation they identify themselves with.

Back