testtest

Project Prodigy 2.0

Greetings and salutations my fellow shooters. So we all know the known issues, or drawbacks, to the Springfield prodigy. I really love the gun and have been looking for a project and this is it. So any and all advice on what you would do to take the prodigy to optimal form. Replace the mim parts. Trigger. Fix the play in the safety, etc. No red dot going reguler or suppressor size sights. Let's see some build lists! 🙏 Thanks.

All that stuff’s out there on the internet. If you’ve got one that runs like a dream, like I do, just run it. For what it’s worth, most red dots will sit low enough to witness with the stock sights. It’s worth ditching the two-piece recoil rod.

A lot of people’s experiences on here have been disappointing, while a few of us have had good results. I had a very small amount of misfeeds on my 1st range trip but the sorted themselves out quickly. I’ve got nearly 1500 rounds through it now and it is an amazing shooter. One recommendation is to run a lot of different ammo, particularly JHPs, because there are certain JHPs that mine does not like. But that is a 1911 quirk, not a Prodigy quirk. I run a 12 lb recoil spring on mine.

I run mainly Browning 124 gr FMJ through it. It performs well in all my handguns. I’ve run 124gr Blazer Brass, but it’s not my favorite.

Defensive Ammo - it likes Hornady Critical Defense, Federal HST and Underwood Monlithic. It does not like Sig V Crown, Underwood JHPs.

I don’t think you can get it to break in with JHPs it doesn’t like because it has to do with the shape of the rounds nose. As I said before this is not uncommon in 1911s.

I use TWB 25 grease on the rails. I find it likes to run well lubricated.

Sometimes feed ramps can be worked on to mitigate FTF, but generally speaking if a gun doesn't like a certain brand/type of defensive ammo the fix is to find the one it does like. 2 of my 1911s don't like Hornady CD. They all like Federal HST. Even two exact Prodigys next in line to each other off the assembly line can still like different ammo, so it's something everyone has to do with their particular gun as far as figuring out what ammo it likes.

So if some do like JHP's I should get them to break it in or avoid them? Which ammo have you found it likes the best?
Just bear in mind—just because one person’s prodigy will run brand X ammo reliably, that’s no guarantee your will (and the converse is true as well).

You’ll need to buy a few different brands/loads and find out what rubs best in YOUR pistol when YOU shoot it.

Following with interest.

Do you already have a Prodigy in hand? If so, how is it running as is? If not, then that's where I'd start. Get a Prodigy, see if it has any issues in the first few hundred rounds, and then come up with a plan from there. Assuming issues and planning to do a bunch of things to a gun before you actually have it hand, and see how your specific example runs, seems a little ass-backwards.

I also wouldn't start off assuming that all the MIM parts need to be replaced (or that all MIM is "bad" in general). Instead, upgrade specific parts if/when they are identified as a debilitating issue, or when they wear out.

As with any gun, things like the trigger are probably going to feel a little different after 500 rounds than it does out of the box.

My Prodigy 4.25 model has chewed up and spit out roughly 700 rounds of various ammo weights and manufacturers without so much as a hint of an issue. No break in period needed just pure fun right out of the box.

20220914_161503~2.jpg

Greetings and salutations my fellow shooters. So we all know the known issues, or drawbacks, to the Springfield prodigy. I really love the gun and have been looking for a project and this is it. So any and all advice on what you would do to take the prodigy to optimal form. Replace the mim parts. Trigger. Fix the play in the safety, etc. No red dot going reguler or suppressor size sights. Let's see some build lists! 🙏 Thanks.
I've thrown this idea around in my head too...

To get a second Prodigy; probably used, and just kind of replace parts to make it a real custom job. Different spring, trigger, extractor, disconnector, etc. See what can be done with it and see how much of a difference other parts make it feel.

Would be a fun project. So many parts you can pick and choose from now a days.

I've enjoyed my current one, and really want to leave it 'stock' and under warranty. :D

Back