testtest

Q. Ported barrel or compensator for comp shooting?

Long time shooter, target and defense but now that I'm retired and joined a nice private gun range/club I'm looking to get into comp shooting. Almost all my handguns are either 1911's (.45's) and 2- 9mm (XDm Elite and Hellcat Pro for concealed carry.

I'm looking to buy a comp gun either the Sig P320-XFIVE or the Springfield Echelon. (Or whatever... still researching.)

My question... for a comp shooter what is better, a ported barrel or a compensator? And are they really worth it for comp shooting. Never owned one.

Thx for your time. and gun recommendations also appreciated.

Long time shooter, target and defense but now that I'm retired and joined a nice private gun range/club I'm looking to get into comp shooting. Almost all my handguns are either 1911's (.45's) and 2- 9mm (XDm Elite and Hellcat Pro for concealed carry.

I'm looking to buy a comp gun either the Sig P320-XFIVE or the Springfield Echelon. (Or whatever... still researching.)

My question... for a comp shooter what is better, a ported barrel or a compensator? And are they really worth it for comp shooting. Never owned one.

Thx for your time. and gun recommendations also appreciated.
You sure you actually want a ported or compensated gun for competition? Ported are extremely loud, especially indoors, compensated guns, not to familiar with them, shot them, personally my thoughts are just get a target grade pistol, Sig, Glock, H&K and Walther have great options, just my thoughts

Thanks... OK... now looking at that Shadow 2 you recommended. Nice... Q. what's better in competition shooting, a striker fire pistol or hammer, single or double action? Just more research and google just throws out uneducated opinions, usually opposite each other. lol

Thanks, really appreciate everyones feedback and advise. After spending the last 4 hours reading and watching reviews, I've narrowed my competition pistol to either the:

CZ Shadow 2 for $1300
Springfield Echelon for $900
Sig Sauer X5 Legion (P226) for $2000

Anyone know why the Sig is so much more exspensive? All three according to reviews are good beginner to mid-advance comp shooters... last ask, feedback, recommendations.

Thanks, really appreciate everyones feedback and advise. After spending the last 4 hours reading and watching reviews, I've narrowed my competition pistol to either the:

CZ Shadow 2 for $1300
Springfield Echelon for $900
Sig Sauer X5 Legion (P226) for $2000

Anyone know why the Sig is so much more exspensive? All three according to reviews are good beginner to mid-advance comp shooters... last ask, feedback, recommendations.
Because it’s not the standard 226 and it’s Legion. If you are looking at the 226 X5 look at the stainless 226 X5. I have one of those also. It doesn’t have a comp but it’s heavier because of it’s SS frame and has a five inch barrel. I think it has a slight but noticeable edge over the 226 X5 Legion.

Because it’s not the standard 226 and it’s Legion. If you are looking at the 226 X5 look at the stainless 226 X5. I have one of those also. It doesn’t have a comp but it’s heavier because of it’s SS frame and has a five inch barrel. I think it has a slight but noticeable edge over the 226 X5 Legion.
What about the 320 x-5 legion, so far mine has been almost a tack driver with certain loads, adjustable sights, red dot ready, just sayin

I'd take the CZ, unless dropping the extra cash for the 226 isn't an issue, but even then the CZ probably still shoots better. And this is coming from a pretty big Sig guy. The Echelon isn't even a competition gun, and at $900 you are overpaying by $200-$300.
Right. But that's the difference between the LGS price and the best (online) price, which I recently saw at $580

If you get a comp, you will be shooting open class. While you can shoot it, you will be at a great disadvantage unless you shoot major power factor.
Leave the comp off and shoot either carry optics or limited optics. Both, for now, are.limited to minor power factor. Personally, I would and do shoot limited optics. In it, you can use a magwell to help with reloads.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

Magnum - one thing you could do is ask the local shooters what they use and why, that'll assist your decision

Rather , first determine which specific matches are conviently offered in your area .

Then read the rules for that sanctioning body, as to what is allowed for the classes ( categories) you wish to compete .

Back