testtest

Question about Free float Handguard

NewSSo

Alpha
I have a Springfield Saint pistol with a 9.6" barrel. This is my first AR 15. What would the average cost to put in a free float rail? Right now it has a polymer drop in handguard.

Depends on what rail you want, really.

Decent ones start around $100, and go up from there.
Thanks for a fast response. I will have to replace the Gas block as well right? I add an image of the gun. It is from the Springfield website.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 9.51.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 9.51.51 PM.png
    314 KB · Views: 2,417
Thanks for a fast response. I will have to replace the Gas block as well right? I add an image of the gun. It is from the Springfield website.
To remove that handguard, most likely no, but with the free float you will have too also change the barrel nut as well! Gas block will have too be removed, yes! Most free float handguards have a proprietary barrel nut whether it be an AR15 or AR10.

Again, depends on the tube.

If you get a tube the same length (7”/carbine) as your handguard, no, you will not have to replace it.

However, as mentioned above, you will have to remove it in order to install the rail system.

There are drop-in rail systems that would replace those handguards, if all you want is the rail...no need to remove the gas block with those.

Again, depends on the tube.

If you get a tube the same length (7”/carbine) as your handguard, no, you will not have to replace it.

However, as mentioned above, you will have to remove it in order to install the rail system.

There are drop-in rail systems that would replace those handguards, if all you want is the rail...no need to remove the gas block with those.
Would a metal drop in handguard get hot quicker? Being it is connected to the barrel?

Would a metal drop in handguard get hot quicker? Being it is connected to the barrel?

No, not really...they’re usually well vented, so air circulates and keeps it cool. I’ve got a couple different drop in's (KAC RAS, Troy Delta) on some of my rifles, never noticed a heating issue any more than, say, my Daniel Defense Light, which is floated.

If you go that way....get a KAC/Knight's RAS. Buy once, cry once.

As mentioned above you will have to change the barrel nut to the one that your new floating hand guard will attach to, and as Hans just mentioned they do vent more efficiently but yes of course they do get warm, I shoot with gloves and also have accessories attached to my hand guards so I’m not holding onto them directly.

Back