testtest

Range Report 8/2/24 Testing Ammo

belladonna

Hellcat
It has been a minute (well actually, about three weeks or so) since I put some lead down range. It was quite busy when I got there, not surprised as it's pretty hot out today. I got the lane closest to the wall, and then everybody cleared out and I had the place to myself. My main purpose for this trip was to test out some 147gr Federal American Eagle, and compare it to the 124gr. I brought my VP9, VP9SK, and the Masada Slim. I loaded two magazines for each pistol, one each of 124 and 147. I used some peel off stickers I had laying around to label each as to what was loaded in them. I used six targets.
I started with the Masada Slim with 124gr.
IMG_4638.jpeg

Not too horrible. I like the feel of the 124. I guess I was just warming up.
Next up was the 147.

IMG_4639.jpeg

I guess I would still get the bad guy...I liked the 147 too. I like the power behind it.
Next up was the VP9SK and 124gr.

IMG_4640.jpeg

Now, I'm kind of proud of this one. This one felt really good, this gun likes this ammo ;).
Next up, the 147gr.

IMG_4641.jpeg

Not too bad...the gun likes the 147 too! So by now I was thinking that if the SK was good with those, well...the VP9 should be even better being a bigger and heavier gun.

IMG_4642.jpeg

Well, the gun loves it, but the shooter, well...lol.
Now for the 147.

IMG_4643.jpeg

The gun loves it. I like the feel, and with more practice with the heavier ammo, I shall tighten those groups up. I also ordered up some new targets suggested to me by a friend on here.
I have an endgame, a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak, and it's igniting some energy in me. I feel so much better after shooting, so I need to keep it up. As always, advice and constructive criticism is always welcome. :)

VP9SK with 124grain for the win. Nice work.
interesting that you shoot the Masada low left while VP9’s are more toward the center. Different grip angle or width? Either way, bad guy’s dead.
I hope you can get out more. 3 weeks? I’d be twitching. 😄

It has been a minute (well actually, about three weeks or so) since I put some lead down range. It was quite busy when I got there, not surprised as it's pretty hot out today. I got the lane closest to the wall, and then everybody cleared out and I had the place to myself. My main purpose for this trip was to test out some 147gr Federal American Eagle, and compare it to the 124gr. I brought my VP9, VP9SK, and the Masada Slim. I loaded two magazines for each pistol, one each of 124 and 147. I used some peel off stickers I had laying around to label each as to what was loaded in them. I used six targets.
I started with the Masada Slim with 124gr.
View attachment 63552
Not too horrible. I like the feel of the 124. I guess I was just warming up.
Next up was the 147.

View attachment 63553
I guess I would still get the bad guy...I liked the 147 too. I like the power behind it.
Next up was the VP9SK and 124gr.

View attachment 63554
Now, I'm kind of proud of this one. This one felt really good, this gun likes this ammo ;).
Next up, the 147gr.

View attachment 63555
Not too bad...the gun likes the 147 too! So by now I was thinking that if the SK was good with those, well...the VP9 should be even better being a bigger and heavier gun.

View attachment 63556
Well, the gun loves it, but the shooter, well...lol.
Now for the 147.

View attachment 63557
The gun loves it. I like the feel, and with more practice with the heavier ammo, I shall tighten those groups up. I also ordered up some new targets suggested to me by a friend on here.
I have an endgame, a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak, and it's igniting some energy in me. I feel so much better after shooting, so I need to keep it up. As always, advice and constructive criticism is always welcome. :)
I count six dead bad guys. Not bad at all. I'm not one to give advice but it appears you had several low left maybe indicating a wee bit of a jerk. Having said that, don't think I could do any better.

I count six dead bad guys. Not bad at all. I'm not one to give advice but it appears you had several low left maybe indicating a wee bit of a jerk. Having said that, don't think I could do any better.
Nice shootin' Bella. I really think it's just a matter of repetition/practice and you'll be posting up targets to rival the Texan and the Brit soon. :)
your east and west is fine on trigger control, just north and south i think is recoil anticipation? either way it still looks good!
Nice shootin Bella, You gonna put Annie Oakly to shame if you keep it up.
Thanks guys. I do appreciate your feedback. It's something I do for me, and although I am not that competitive by nature, I can almost feel it becoming I could pursue deeper once I retire from the working world (if I ever do, truly).

Hi @belladonna,

Just a few flyers here and there but, I tell you what, a few more practice sessions like that and all those groups will be tightening up. Nice work with the VP9sk. I'm lousy with anything under a 4" barrel.

I'm still dealing with flinch. It's a matter of mental concentration for me. When I see a shot go low, the next shot will be very slow and deliberate. I'll press that trigger up to the wall, hold it there for a while. Hold it. Then I'll squeeze into the creep very, very slowly, without going past the break to fire the shot. And, sure enough, my flinch will strike before the round is sent. Once that is out of the way, I relax in my mind thinking, "That's what I'm trying to avoid." I can then take the shot without upsetting my sight picture, usually by gripping a little less with my strong hand, and a little more with my off hand. Does that make any sense?

Did you notice any difference in the felt recoil between the 124g and 147g?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

124 and 124gr NATO is what I run in all my 9mms. I’ll run 147 if I’m running suppressed but 124gr nets the best results and HK recommends 124 for the VP9s. Keep up the good work!

Where did you get that information ? My manuals do not say anything like that. I know HK used to recommend breaking them in with at least 124 gr, but as far as I can tell other than a few rare cases no one has had any issues firing 115 gr out of them. I've also read where people claim the gun was designed around 124 gr. NATO rounds, but I haven't been able to verify that with anything HK has said about them. If that's true than I think it's safe to say the gun is going to be fine with +P or 147 gr.

That said, I use 124 gr. in all my 9MMs and haven't had any issues. I have run several boxes of 147 gr. through my VPs and the P30 and I have a few boxes of 147 gr. HST. The VP9 will feed just about anything. As far as POA/POI, I haven't noticed a measurable difference between 124 and 147, but I never shot them side by side off a rest. You and KF might have noticed it or someone who shoots better than me may have, but I get excellent accuracy with either one.

Right in the beginning when I got my first 9MM I decided to just stick with 124 gr. No particular reason why, just for uniformity.

Hi @belladonna,

Just a few flyers here and there but, I tell you what, a few more practice sessions like that and all those groups will be tightening up. Nice work with the VP9sk. I'm lousy with anything under a 4" barrel.

I'm still dealing with flinch. It's a matter of mental concentration for me. When I see a shot go low, the next shot will be very slow and deliberate. I'll press that trigger up to the wall, hold it there for a while. Hold it. Then I'll squeeze into the creep very, very slowly, without going past the break to fire the shot. And, sure enough, my flinch will strike before the round is sent. Once that is out of the way, I relax in my mind thinking, "That's what I'm trying to avoid." I can then take the shot without upsetting my sight picture, usually by gripping a little less with my strong hand, and a little more with my off hand. Does that make any sense?

Did you notice any difference in the felt recoil between the 124g and 147g?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Hi Cliff! I did notice slightly more kick with the 147. Also, when I shot the 147 through the little Israeli gun, it would randomly throw brass at my head. Nothing horrible though. My Hellcat does worse with 115.

Back