testtest

Range Review: Mossberg 930 Thunder Ranch Shotgun

I like the looks of it wanted to get a small one for home protection might get this one instead.
Just a quick 'take a look' at this. If it's a home defense scatter gun you're looking for take a look at "Kel Tek's" KS7, and/or it's bigger brother. This one holds 7 rnds of 12ga whatever you want, the big brother holds 13 rnds of the same.

I have absolutely no financial interest in "Kel Tek" or any subsidiaries. I just know good/advanced and flawlessly engineered products.

My wife wants a KS7 in the worst way. What the he!! for ..... I don't know. But she fell in love with it the first second she laid eyes on it. And she usually gets whatever firearm she wants for Christmas, B-day, etc. If I don't get it for her, she'll more often than not get it herself.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Just a quick 'take a look' at this. If it's a home defense scatter gun you're looking for take a look at "Kel Tek's" KS7, and/or it's bigger brother. This one holds 7 rnds of 12ga whatever you want, the big brother holds 13 rnds of the same.

I have absolutely no financial interest in "Kel Tek" or any subsidiaries. I just know good/advanced and flawlessly engineered products.

My wife wants a KS7 in the worst way. What the he!! for ..... I don't know. But she fell in love with it the first second she laid eyes on it. And she usually gets whatever firearm she wants for Christmas, B-day, etc. If I don't get it for her, she'll more often than not get it herself.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Have you ever owned a KelTec?

“Flawlessly Engineered” is NOT a phrase I would use to describe them...and I’ve owned a couple.

Well, I guess like beauty, quality and/or engineering, is in the eye of the beholder. Over many years, I've owned several 'Kel Tek' firearms beginning back in the day when the company was started in a back yard garage workshop and still called "Grendel". I won't even begin to debate what either of us, or anyone else for that matter, considers 'flawless engineering', but I'll say this .......... any company who builds anything with the amount of vision and innovation that is "KelTek" will always have detractors, but I'm not one of them. Every "KelTek" I've ever owned has performed exactly as they were advertised with not one hiccup ever, and I love it. I'm also planning in the near future to own a P17.

I do know of a few issues some folks have had from time to time, but of those I know, they were all remedied in short order whether it was truly a gun issue or an operator issue. I'll also say I've not known any manufacturer of any item who ever put more heart and soul into their products, nor one who tried any harder to provide a superior product to begin with.

In all honesty and fairness, I was personally introduced to Mr. Kellgren once many, many years ago, maybe the 80's or early 90's, but that is my limited association with him on a personal level. Most certainly I would never claim to 'know' him, or socialize with him, and he would not likely even remember my name if it was spelled out for him.

Right now as we speak, my personal carry gun is a PF9 that I've owned and carried for several years, and the only thing ever done to that little gun was to change out the guide rod for a steel one and to keep it clean. I try to switch out the magazine every month or so, and Oh yeh, to exercise it regularly. I try to get to the range at least once a month and give it a good work-out.

Now I've also recently ordered and received a Hellcat that I'm looking forward to trying/using/carrying. I'm right now awaiting delivery on my new holster for it and expect it tomorrow. I love the way the Hellcat feels in my hand just like the PF9 and expect I'll also enjoy the way it works/functions/shoots. Like "KelTek", I've never personally owned nor operated any firearm associated with SA that I can/will complain about. But the little PF9 will likely be my all time favorite EDC with possible exception of the Hellcat due to the extra capacity.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Well, I guess like beauty, quality and/or engineering, is in the eye of the beholder. Over many years, I've owned several 'Kel Tek' firearms beginning back in the day when the company was started in a back yard garage workshop and still called "Grendel". I won't even begin to debate what either of us, or anyone else for that matter, considers 'flawless engineering', but I'll say this .......... any company who builds anything with the amount of vision and innovation that is "KelTek" will always have detractors, but I'm not one of them. Every "KelTek" I've ever owned has performed exactly as they were advertised with not one hiccup ever, and I love it. I'm also planning in the near future to own a P17.

I do know of a few issues some folks have had from time to time, but of those I know, they were all remedied in short order whether it was truly a gun issue or an operator issue. I'll also say I've not known any manufacturer of any item who ever put more heart and soul into their products, nor one who tried any harder to provide a superior product to begin with.

In all honesty and fairness, I was personally introduced to Mr. Kellgren once many, many years ago, maybe the 80's or early 90's, but that is my limited association with him on a personal level. Most certainly I would never claim to 'know' him, or socialize with him, and he would not likely even remember my name if it was spelled out for him.

Right now as we speak, my personal carry gun is a PF9 that I've owned and carried for several years, and the only thing ever done to that little gun was to change out the guide rod for a steel one and to keep it clean. I try to switch out the magazine every month or so, and Oh yeh, to exercise it regularly. I try to get to the range at least once a month and give it a good work-out.

Now I've also recently ordered and received a Hellcat that I'm looking forward to trying/using/carrying. I'm right now awaiting delivery on my new holster for it and expect it tomorrow. I love the way the Hellcat feels in my hand just like the PF9 and expect I'll also enjoy the way it works/functions/shoots. Like "KelTek", I've never personally owned nor operated any firearm associated with SA that I can/will complain about. But the little PF9 will likely be my all time favorite EDC with possible exception of the Hellcat due to the extra capacity.

regards,
jumpinjoe

I have to agree with this. I have a PF9 I have owned since 2007 and it has never failed me. The only trouble I have had out of it was when I decided I needed to feed it some Rem. Golden sabre . It just wouldn't feed them. Anything else I have put through it ran just fine. As far as how it shoots , I have hit a 6" gong at 50 yards with 50% to 60 % of the mag several different times.

regards,
jumpinjoe
Yes I do like the KSGs but they eject downward and might hit your forearm. I.m thinking more for my girlfriend, easier for her to use. I was also looking at the DPs shotguns.

regards,
jumpinjoe
Not my experience...had a P32 that had incessant feeding issues, and a RDB with abysmal accuracy.

Not my experience...had a P32 that had incessant feeding issues, and a RDB with abysmal accuracy.
I hate hearing that, but would ask a couple questions. Were the feeding issues with any particular brand of ammo, or anything you put in it? Some firearms are a little persnickety about the ammo they'll eat. Even sometimes to the different weights of projectile in the same ammo. But I'm sure you know that.

As for the accuracy issue .... well, that sometimes is in the hand of the 'holder'. Just kidding man, sometimes that's just the way they are, but usually can be remedied by adjustments, or even a change of ammo.

And lastly, I'll ask if "KelTek" took care of any issues they could? Sometimes a 1st or even 2nd generation of a new firearm may leave something to be desired. If either of your guns were early gens, maybe still had some bugs, especially with the RDP. If KelTek took care of them, then it's hard to find too much fault with them, especially when almost every manufacturer at one time or another has had a bad one.

But hey, I'm not trying to preach to you nor anyone. If you aren't fond of the brand, that's OK. I just happen to have had nothing but good service from them.

regards,
jumpinjoe

I hate hearing that, but would ask a couple questions. Were the feeding issues with any particular brand of ammo, or anything you put in it? Some firearms are a little persnickety about the ammo they'll eat. Even sometimes to the different weights of projectile in the same ammo. But I'm sure you know that.

As for the accuracy issue .... well, that sometimes is in the hand of the 'holder'. Just kidding man, sometimes that's just the way they are, but usually can be remedied by adjustments, or even a change of ammo.

And lastly, I'll ask if "KelTek" took care of any issues they could? Sometimes a 1st or even 2nd generation of a new firearm may leave something to be desired. If either of your guns were early gens, maybe still had some bugs, especially with the RDP. If KelTek took care of them, then it's hard to find too much fault with them, especially when almost every manufacturer at one time or another has had a bad one.

But hey, I'm not trying to preach to you nor anyone. If you aren't fond of the brand, that's OK. I just happen to have had nothing but good service from them.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Tried several different makes of FMJ (see no point in a JHP in a .32), both domestic and the warmer Euro brands...it was uncommon to make it through a mag without a failure to feed or and/or eject. Tried a different mag as well, same thing. Ended up giving it a buddy who loves to tinker, but he never got it running properly, either.

As for the RDB's accuracy...also several different types/weights of bullet, rarely could break 4” at 100 yards...and if I would switch to one of my other rifles (Usually some flavor of AR, or an HK/clone, or my AUG, so I could stick with a bullpup) and cut those groups to 1/4 that...it wasn't the ”trigger nut”...and I know it wasn’t, because a buddy has a bore scope, and there was horrible chatter in the bore towards the muzzle. Tried to get KelTec to look at it...they said that was acceptable accuracy.

Last KelTec I‘ll own. Dot, period, end of story.

Yes I do like the KSGs but they eject downward and might hit your forearm. I.m thinking more for my girlfriend, easier for her to use. I was also looking at the DPs shotguns.
Not necessarily trying to make a sale here, but you would be hard pressed to hit your arm with an ejected hull since you would be shuckin that pump with the off side arm. Pretty difficult to get that arm under the ejection port whether shooting from the shoulder or the hip. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Seems there were quite a few of the .32's that had problems. I went through a safety course with my ex-wife while we were still married. There was a guy there who had a
P32 that jammed so often the trainer let him use one of the trainers guns.

Not a Kel-Tec fan here, personally I think they make some fugly guns, but I will say, for the most part of what I have seen and heard, there decent guns.

Back