testtest

Recently Acquired WW2 Era Training Carbine - Ready to do a Depot Level Rebuilt - looking for input

Hey
This is my recently acquired 2 times the size WW2 Era Training Carbine. Looking for assistance in starting my rebuild.
I need to refinish the metal parts
I need to construct a full size and paratrooper folding stock

I have the following items:
2 complete barrel assemblies
1 spare barrel assembly
1 partial stock - need to recreate
1 complete lower receiver
1 upper barrel band (no bayonet attachment)
1 lower lower barrel band (with bayonet attachment)
1 magazine

Attaching as many pics as the site allows.

Attachments

• m1 carbine trainer model 17.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 17.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 202
  • m1 carbine trainer model 8.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 8.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 129
  • m1 carbine trainer model 12.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 12.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 122
  • m1 carbine trainer model 2.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 133
  • m1 carbine trainer model 5.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 5.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 142
  • m1 carbine trainer model 8.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 8.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 133
  • m1 carbine trainer model 1.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 136
  • m1 carbine trainer model 11.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 11.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 122
  • m1 carbine trainer model 13.jpg
    m1 carbine trainer model 13.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 135
Looks like you've got enough parts to get ONE complete model together, excluding of course the stock.

Dunno where you can get a stock, you might try SARCO. If they don't have it, they might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

I did find this, which might help you see what it should look like:

Awesome responses moving forward with the stock info. That's a process.
Regarding the refinishing the metal, I spoke with a painter today. He recommended to lightly sand the metal, then use modified acrylic paint to refinish the metal. I will keep everyone updated on my progress. Jon

Awesome responses moving forward with the stock info. That's a process.
Regarding the refinishing the metal, I spoke with a painter today. He recommended to lightly sand the metal, then use modified acrylic paint to refinish the metal. I will keep everyone updated on my progress. Jon
I'm not sure what a WW2 Era Training Carbine is, but if it's an actual carbine you can shoot then you should think about having the metal parkerized. That's how they left the factory in WWII.

Here's the specs on the WW2 Era Training Carbine

Original US WWII M1 Carbine Cutaway Oversized Classroom Trainer 2:1 Scale

Make:
WW2 USGI

Model: M1 Carbine x2 Scale Cutaway Classroom Model

Serial Number: none

Year of Manufacture: WW2

Markings: none

Barrel Length: Approximately 35.5”

Sights / Optics: The rear sight is a fixed aperture between two protective ears like the Thompson. The front sights are a blade between two protective ears. The front sights on all 3 barrels are made without the right protective ear for display purposes.

Stock Configuration & Condition: This Oversized Display model comes with a total of 3 barrel, 1 magazine, and 1 receiver. Only a portion of the stock is included as the rest of it has been broken off and is missing. Please see our photos for a better understanding of the configuration and the condition.

Total Length: 47” from the muzzle to rear of the receiver.

Magazine Dimensions: 7.5 x 3.5 x 1.5 inches

Type of Finish: Black Painted, Red Paint, Aluminum.

Finish Originality: Original

Overall Condition: This rifle retains about 50% of its painted finish. There are scrapes, chips, and scratches throughout as you might expect from an oversized GI product such as this. This Model rates in Fair Condition. It comes apart in several pieces. A majority of the stock is absent.

Our Assessment: J.H. Keeney is widely known for their manufacture of amusement rides. During World War II, they were commissioned by the US government to produce these models in an effort to help with field use of the model weapon. The BAR was one of the most innovative, new, revolutionary, and needed rifles the United States ever produced in its history of war and conflict. The new rifle quickly became standard issue for the U.S. forces in 1938 and training was necessary as most soldiers had only experience with Semi-Automatic M1 Garands and Carbines. To help with training, the United States contracted J.H. Keeny to make double size functioning replicas to use in classrooms to help train soldiers to better know and operate the new machinery. Keeney quickly began production and used cast metal for the majority of the models body and parts.

In all my travels I've never seen one or knew they even existed. Being a cast alloy you might inquire with shops that specialize in restorations. Someone who would know how to remove the old finish and apply a finish as close to the orginal as possible. I'd start here: https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/ and see if they can point you in the right direction. I'd stay away from shops whose main gunsmith is a guy named Bubba. In other words, take your time and do it right! Good luck.

Hi,

I’ve been a carbine collector for over 40 years and retired from army. The silver one is an M2 while the darker one is an M1. There were several manufacturers of these and they used various metals. Stocks were made of BALSA And most likely eaten by termite. different versions were made for each service as well. Not much of a typist as I am kinda short dexterity in 3 fingers from war injuries, but would love to chat on the phone.

Hi,

I’ve been a carbine collector for over 40 years and retired from army. The silver one is an M2 while the darker one is an M1. There were several manufacturers of these and they used various metals. Stocks were made of BALSA And most likely eaten by termite. different versions were made for each service as well. Not much of a typist as I am kinda short dexterity in 3 fingers from war injuries, but would love to chat on the phone.
my email is jon154187@yahoo.com - my grid is 1 hour East of Fort Riley, KS - Time zone CST - send me an email and we can chat on Tuesday - Jon

Guys, seeing that both of you are new members I thought I'd share some information that perhaps you are not aware of. In this day in time posting an email address here kind of voids a member's anonymity. There's a small picture of an envelope on the right hand side of your member name just left of the small bell. This is where members go to post private messages not intended for the world to read. I hope neither of you are offended, but no one ever really knows who reads our posts. :)

Guys, seeing that both of you are new members I thought I'd share some information that perhaps you are not aware of. In this day in time posting an email address here kind of voids a member's anonymity. There's a small picture of an envelope on the right hand side of your member name just left of the small bell. This is where members go to post private messages not intended for the world to read. I hope neither of you are offended, but no one ever really knows who reads our posts. :)
Lima Charlie

I found this article on our website

Regarding US Military Style Training Rifles: the M1 Garand (6 ft length) is for sale online 3-4 thousand. ALSO, search previous Articles from The Armory Life.

Montana Military Museum, Fort Harrison, Montana

1 June 2021

THE ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY’S OVERSIZED TRAINING GUNS​

During World War II, the U.S. military needed to train as many men as quickly as they could. In those demanding circumstances, many new training methods were born, and most of those ideas focused on providing information using over-sized graphic presentations. Posters, training films, and film strips were created (and supported by workbooks) for many topics — and particularly for small arms. The concept of the double-size training aids took this idea one step further, providing a tactile, and instantly self-explanatory educational tool.

The museum’s collection includes:

• The M21: the M2 Carbine training aid
  • The M22: the M1919 Machine Gun training aid
  • The M23: the M1918A2 BAR training aid
  • The M24: the M1 Garand rifle training aid

Hey
This is my recently acquired 2 times the size WW2 Era Training Carbine. Looking for assistance in starting my rebuild.
I need to refinish the metal parts
I need to construct a full size and paratrooper folding stock

I have the following items:
2 complete barrel assemblies
1 spare barrel assembly
1 partial stock - need to recreate
1 complete lower receiver
1 upper barrel band (no bayonet attachment)
1 lower lower barrel band (with bayonet attachment)
1 magazine

Attaching as many pics as the site allows.

UPDATED: Summer 2024 - I obtained a COMPLETE oversized Stock for my WW2 Training Carbine - Now on to refinish the stock and the metal

Attachments

• stock4.jpeg
    stock4.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 44
  • stock receiver  1.jpeg
    stock receiver 1.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 43
  • stock and receiver 2.jpeg
    stock and receiver 2.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 47
  • stock1.jpg
    stock1.jpg