testtest

Rim-fire Revolvers

Bhfromme

Alpha
New to the forum, fairly new with handguns. Just picked up a Taurus Model 94 rim-fire revolver chambered for .22LR. I understand dry firing is bad for rim-fire handguns, not really sure why but then again I don't need to know why. Just don't do it, right?

Without buying snapcaps I'm wondering if it's ok to work the trigger on spent cases. I'm reading these Tauruses have brutally hard pulls in double action. Can I work the trigger with spent cartridges or is that also bad for it? I know a couple decent gunsmiths but figured I'd ask the question here first. And is this a candidate for a trigger job? I like my SA triggers in the the 3 to 3.5 lb range. Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie.

I use plastic drywall anchors...forget what size, but they’re yellow. Work great, and cheap.

And the reason you don’t want to dry fire (some) rim fires is that you can damage the firing pin/chamber when the pin strikes the breech face.

I use drywall anchors just like Hans in my Taurus 94. They can be hard to find in stores, but the Hillman Group 370326 Ribbed Plastic Anchors, 4-6-8 x 7/8 Inch work perfectly and last much longer than snap caps. You can get a pack of 100 of them from Amazon for $6. Judging from the Amazon reviews, I'm not sure if anyone ever uses these things for any type of construction or home improvement. Every review mentions that they make great snap caps.

Welcome to the forum, Bhfromme!

I think Hans and wmg have provided all the information you need. When I bought my rimfire revolver back in about 1965, ammo was relatively cheap and I just did a lot of practicing. I didn't know about snap caps back then. :)

Thanks. And does it help soften up the spring leaving the gun cocked for a few days?

I hadn't heard that one, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. All I was told when I purchased my 94 was that it would "smooth-out" after some dry-firing and running some rounds through it. If you can find the ammo, I would recommend firing a 100 rounds through it, along with the dry-firing, and seeing how it performs.

Rimfire revolvers need to have heavy triggers to reliably ignite rimfire primers. Practice with the gun for awhile and see how it goes. If you can master the trigger-pull, then there is no real need to change anything about the gun other than to just break it in.

Back