testtest

Ronin 5" 9mm

Scevaph

Elite
Hi all; I have a RONIN 5" 9mm that I believe is an early one. Marked RONIN Operator and S/N NM600xxx. In a question to SA they told me it was manufactured 12/2018 but I thought the RONIN's came out in 2020?? Anyway, it seems to be a darned nice 1911. Not a fan of the thin grips but that will be easily rectified. I do have a question: What recoil spring weight is used in the 5" RONIN 9mm's? I have seen them listed as 9# and 14#.

Ronin-2.jpg
Ronin-1.jpg

Hi all; I have a RONIN 5" 9mm that I believe is an early one. Marked RONIN Operator and S/N NM600xxx. In a question to SA they told me it was manufactured 12/2018 but I thought the RONIN's came out in 2020?? Anyway, it seems to be a darned nice 1911. Not a fan of the thin grips but that will be easily rectified. I do have a question: What recoil spring weight is used in the 5" RONIN 9mm's? I have seen them listed as 9# and 14#.

View attachment 43502View attachment 43503
I use 12# in my Springfield 9mm RO Operator, the factory 9# was to weak to let the slide to go back into battery fully, the Kimber I had in 9mm also came from factory with a 12# spring

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GENESEO, ILL. (01/16/20) – Springfield Armory® is proud to introduce the Ronin™ Operator®, a rugged and reliable 1911 pistol built for a lifetime of service at an MSRP of just $849.

While the Ronin Operator is the result of thoroughly modern precision manufacturing, it’s undeniably traditional in its approach to quality and performance. Configured as a full-size 5″ gun and available in 9mm and .45 ACP variants, the Ronin Operator features a forged steel slide and frame as well as a hammer-forged barrel for unparalleled durability and strength.

can't tell you.

i usually email them, not call them, and request the build date.

check the scan label area too for the date code.....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GENESEO, ILL. (01/16/20) – Springfield Armory® is proud to introduce the Ronin™ Operator®, a rugged and reliable 1911 pistol built for a lifetime of service at an MSRP of just $849.

While the Ronin Operator is the result of thoroughly modern precision manufacturing, it’s undeniably traditional in its approach to quality and performance. Configured as a full-size 5″ gun and available in 9mm and .45 ACP variants, the Ronin Operator features a forged steel slide and frame as well as a hammer-forged barrel for unparalleled durability and strength.

can't tell you.

i usually email them, not call them, and request the build date.

check the scan label area too for the date code.....
I don’t think SA puts a date code on like Sig does,

I re-checked by E-mail asking them (Dominick) to re-check the date

His response: " I double checked the serial number, and it is still saying 12/2018. That was when it was manufactured. It was sent out the door in 2020 though. Probably one of the first runs that we had before shipping it out."

All I know for sure is that this is a nicely fitted 1911 with minimal play.

I re-checked by E-mail asking them (Dominick) to re-check the date

His response: " I double checked the serial number, and it is still saying 12/2018. That was when it was manufactured. It was sent out the door in 2020 though. Probably one of the first runs that we had before shipping it out."

All I know for sure is that this is a nicely fitted 1911 with minimal play.
sorta like one of my CZ's...

i bought it in either Jan or Feb of 2020, but it was built in 2017

they must have built up a stock of those Ronin 9mm's for a massive shipping on the introduction of it.

I like Pach's ( on an auto) but I also like nice wood. Mine will be wearing these Curly Myrtle grips from grip maker John Culina when they arrive but first I will need to switch out the thin grip bushings for standard ones.
I am also toying with trying an arched mainspring housing.

Myrtle Grips.jpg

I like Pach's ( on an auto) but I also like nice wood. Mine will be wearing these Curly Myrtle grips from grip maker John Culina when they arrive but first I will need to switch out the thin grip bushings for standard ones.
I am also toying with trying an arched mainspring housing.

View attachment 43514
i am to hard on grips, wood would get scratched and nasty pretty fast
but those do look sweet

Finally made to the range to try it out ( with the 12# recoil spring) Fed and ejected flawlessly, Blaser Brass 124 FMJ s, Norma 124 FMJ and Speer Gold Dot 124 . Elevation was pretty good and hitting center to left a little. At 71 I have developed some a tiny bit of benign tremor in my hand which translated to a small amount of visible shake when shooting. ( one and (mostly)Two hand hold - Bench resting or support not allowed at this range ) and Progressive lenses and developing cataracts so group sizes were more than I like but usable. I have not shot for 4 or 5 years - need more practice. I have three stainless mags, a Wilson Combat flush base and two Springfield stock slam pads. I fed all three types of ammo thru each magazine to make sure everything's working as it should. The only issue was a failure top lock the slide a couple of times using the Blaser. At a rated 1090 fps it definitely shot milder than the Norma (1200 fps) and Gold Dots (1220 fps) No issues at all with the Gold Dot and Norma FMJ

I finally got around to doing something with the rear sight dots. The original paint was yellowed and dull and since I like black rear sights I re-did them. I used a small drill bit turned by hand to remove the old paint, cleaned with alcohol and using a toothpick and paint from my old black paint marker filled them with black. I like it better this way.

Before and after

Ronin Rear 2.JPG
Black Dots.JPG

Back