testtest

Rooftop Korean Rifle

1992 LA.jpg

The South Korean Daewoo K1A1 was immortalized in America during the 1992 LA riots, I purchased mine a few years before the LA riots occurred and I just recently modernized it for the riots to come, and just for fun.

IMG_8197.JPG
.1.JPG

I have added a modern pistol grip, an enhanced charging handle, a South Korea Special Forces Group rail system and an EOTech holographic optic. It's light, compact, reliable and accurate - not bad for a 40 year old rifle.

IMG_1470.JPG

I continue to kick around the idea of cutting the barrel down to 10.5" making it an SBR.

The gas system is set up for the short barrel, so that is one thing I wouldn't have to worry about.
I would STRONGLY advise against that for a number of good reasons I won't waste time typing up, because it's YOUR gun and you're gonna do whatever you want to with it, regardless of logic. ;)

I would STRONGLY advise against that for a number of good reasons I won't waste time typing up, because it's YOUR gun and you're gonna do whatever you want to with it, regardless of logic. ;)
I have been kicking the idea around for 3 years now, and I continue to gather information and opinions... Do tell.

I may end up installing the Mission Adapted Railed Stock assembly South Korean Army SF units currently use and call it a day. It improves balance, it's rigid and the cheek weld is superior to the original wire stock.

Last edited:
I have been kicking the idea around for 3 years now, and I continue to gather information and opinions... Do tell.

I may end up installing the Mission Adapted Railed Stock assembly South Korean Army SF units currently use and call it a day. It improves balance, it's rigid and the cheek weld is superior to the original wire stock.
Well, just since you asked.

1. You'll be spending $200 to officially announce the existence of this rare, obscure rifle (which might not appear on your state's "assault weapons" list, if your state has one) to the federal government. If the ATF suddenly decides that SBRs are now "prohibited" weapons, the way they tried to do with "arm braced" handguns, you're screwed.

2. You MIGHT discover the same type of problems that Colt had when they tried to make a "carbine" out of the AR-15/M16 when they simply hacked the barrel off right in front of the gas block/front sight base: not enough "dwell time" to the gas in the barrel ahead of the gas port to reliably operate the system. Again, I don't KNOW if this would happen, I'm just raising the possibility that it COULD happen.

3. If you DO have the problem in #2, you might discover that replacement barrels are not available today to fix it. I have no idea what the parts situation is with these guns.

4. The shorter barrel WILL be louder than it is now. Of course this can be mitigated with a modern suppressor (at the cost of another $200 tax stamp), but the resulting fix will probably be at least as long as the barrel is now.

I'm not familiar with the Korean Mission Adapted Railed Stock assembly. Can you post a pic of it? I'm willing to believe that this change MIGHT actually be a GOOD idea, assuming of course that you can actually get one. I'm no fan of the wire stock. ;)

Well, just since you asked.

1. You'll be spending $200 to officially announce the existence of this rare, obscure rifle (which might not appear on your state's "assault weapons" list, if your state has one) to the federal government. If the ATF suddenly decides that SBRs are now "prohibited" weapons, the way they tried to do with "arm braced" handguns, you're screwed.

2. You MIGHT discover the same type of problems that Colt had when they tried to make a "carbine" out of the AR-15/M16 when they simply hacked the barrel off right in front of the gas block/front sight base: not enough "dwell time" to the gas in the barrel ahead of the gas port to reliably operate the system. Again, I don't KNOW if this would happen, I'm just raising the possibility that it COULD happen.

3. If you DO have the problem in #2, you might discover that replacement barrels are not available today to fix it. I have no idea what the parts situation is with these guns.

4. The shorter barrel WILL be louder than it is now. Of course this can be mitigated with a modern suppressor (at the cost of another $200 tax stamp), but the resulting fix will probably be at least as long as the barrel is now.

I'm not familiar with the Korean Mission Adapted Railed Stock assembly. Can you post a pic of it? I'm willing to believe that this change MIGHT actually be a GOOD idea, assuming of course that you can actually get one. I'm no fan of the wire stock. ;)
You make very good points, THANK YOU.

1. Agreed

2. The Korean's added the longer barrel for export without changing the gas system, it is slightly over gassed as-is with the longer barrel.

3. See #2 ... these are extremely rare rifles, and parts are almost nonexistent.

4. Yes, and I already have suppressor.

M.A.R.S.

Okay, I like the stock in pics 3, 4, and 6 better than the wire stock. I don't care for the stock in pic 7 at all--no cheek weld.

I don't care for the telescoping stocks (such as in 3, 4, and 6) because I can't get a good cheek weld with one. I admit this is better than telestocks for the typical AR-15 because of that rifle's stupid high sight line and goofy charging handle system. At least the sight line on these guns is low enough you can approach a good cheek weld with this type of stock.

The HK93 with fixed stock puts my eye and cheek exactly where I want them to be, just for comparison. ;)

Here is a K1A1 set up with MARS. The owner confirms that the MARS improves the rifles balance, and that accuracy is improved because the butt stock no longer flexes.

View attachment 51705
That would do to ride the river with! Good looking rifle and I'd hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Does it use standard AR FCG parts? Standard AR bolt?

I am still considering the idea of adding a folding butt stock, but I went ahead and tweaked the current configuration a bit and I am happy with the results. I swapped out and lowered the butt stock so that it lines up perfectly with the bolt and barrel, this should direct the recoil impulse straight back. I also removed the EOTech and replaced it with an Aimpoint Micro T-1 with a 2 MOA dot that sits all the way back over the receiver. The rifle balances much better.

IMG_1576.JPG

Back