testtest

Saint ARs

Hi,

I've been looking hard at the Saint and the Saint Victor as well as a couple of other more moderately priced units. One of these days soon I'm going to make up my mind.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I have no experience with the Saint line, but I am familiar with what they're made of. Decent mid tier guns.

You can put together a Wilson Combat for close to the same money though.

Tell me about the gas system, rifle length vs mid-length etc? Advantages or disadvantages of one over the others?
You need to tell us what your end objective is ?

That info you ask is on the net 1000 times over for 1000 AR’s.

Rather than a few vague sentences. How about some in depth on:
-Your budget
-What you really intend to do. Plink, competitions, hunt, all of the above ??
- why Saint over Sig, LWRC, DD, etc … ?

You are asking a lot of vague questions

Tell me about the gas system, rifle length vs mid-length etc? Advantages or disadvantages of one over the others?

Thanks for those links. Very helpful

Thanks for those links. Very helpful
@tdbmd

Carbine gas systems run harder and have more felt recoil based on the higher gas port pressure. That is, the pressure(s) once the bullet exists the barrel with mil-spec loads. Pressure goes down with greater barrel volume as the chart indicates. Shorter length M16/AR15 barrels are over-gassed due to the gas port being closer to the chamber vs. the original 20" length for which the 5.56 was designed for.

This chart also shows the relationship of barrel length against bore pressure.

1723297653494.png

While I still have a couple carbine-length gas system ARs the shortest I go nowadays is a mid-length. You can still have a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system.

Subsequently, there is an near inverse relationship between barrel length & velocity. Peak velocity is achieved with a 20" barrel since the .223/5/56mm was designed for a 20" barrel.

M855 Barrel-Length-Velocity

1723297887784.png

@tdbmd

Carbine gas systems run harder and have more felt recoil based on the higher gas port pressure. That is, the pressure(s) once the bullet exists the barrel with mil-spec loads. Pressure goes down with greater barrel volume as the chart indicates. Shorter length M16/AR15 barrels are over-gassed due to the gas port being closer to the chamber vs. the original 20" length for which the 5.56 was designed for.

This chart also shows the relationship of barrel length against bore pressure.

View attachment 64044

While I still have a couple carbine-length gas system ARs the shortest I go nowadays is a mid-length. You can still have a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system.

Subsequently, there is an near inverse relationship between barrel length & velocity. Peak velocity is achieved with a 20" barrel since the .223/5/56mm was designed for a 20" barrel.

M855 Barrel-Length-Velocity

View attachment 64046
excellent Talyn. Often the questions we ask are needing context for what the use will be. Obviously someone getting a 10-14" bbl for a long range application has clearly missed the memo. Also true is CQB users would not select a 24" bbl. Application provides context. We can talk calibre/ barrel length, BC, ogive shapes, powder, FPS, energy etc all day long. The key is to ask yourself first what you trying to achieve.

Even an adjustable gas block will benefit from a mid to rifle length gas system since the lower port pressure of those lengths are easier to fine-tune the adjustment positions vs. something shorter, even though a carbine-length system will make that a shorter barrel length run smoother.

And a piston AR will run even smoother with a longer gas-system than they typically run compared to a DI gun.

You need to tell us what your end objective is ?

That info you ask is on the net 1000 times over for 1000 AR’s.

Rather than a few vague sentences. How about some in depth on:
-Your budget
-What you really intend to do. Plink, competitions, hunt, all of the above ??
- why Saint over Sig, LWRC, DD, etc … ?

You are asking a lot of vague questions
Budget - up to $1200
Looking for a AR with a shorter barrel, at least part of the time for use with a suppressor. Want to have back up iron sights but will also be putting on a low power or red dot optic. Main use would be target/plinking/home or personal defense. I already have a 20 inch AR with thermal optic for night time varmint hunting. It needs to be reliable (true for all firearms, I guess). I have some friends that do quite a bit of IDPA type scenerio shooting (not actual competition)
My current AR is a Rock River Arms and I have been happy with the reliability and accuracy for what it is, a varmint rifle.
I have a Springfield Hellcat Pro and have been pleased with it so thought that the Saint line seemed to check a lot of the boxes I was looking for. Just don't really know the main differences between the Saint, Victor and Edge?

Hope that additional information helps

Back