testtest

SDS 1911 Mil Spec - Your Thoughts?

Hello everyone, just looking for your thoughts. I'm looking for a 1911 project gun, one I could possibly work on to improve function or appearance. Possibly just a range gun test bed 1911 in .45 ACP.
For this project I was thinking of the SDS Mil Spec 1911. From what I've seen the price is below $400 which I thought was a cheap entry price to my project.
Does anyone currently own one of these guns that could provide some input? Is it a worthy candidate or am I better off going with another brand? Or, saving my pennies and just find a Mil Spec Springfield?

I don’t thinks it’s bad, looking at it in comparison to the Springfield. Me personally would opt for the Springfield Defender for the few dollars more. I know of top pistol smiths that, when they build or work on 1911’s they build only on Springfield frames and sometimes prefer them over others including Colt. Good luck with your project.

I think SDS is Springfield Defender Series?
I’ll go with Hans on this and assume he is referring to it as this is a Springfield website.

To the question:

I have a Defend your legacy series mil spec SA 1911 and love it for functionality and form. It is a tac driver and a no frills 1911. Perfect for your needs and experiments. I have almost 1000 rounds thru mine now and it has been outstanding on quality. Buy one and have fun with your tinkering.

Hello everyone, just looking for your thoughts. I'm looking for a 1911 project gun, one I could possibly work on to improve function or appearance. Possibly just a range gun test bed 1911 in .45 ACP.
For this project I was thinking of the SDS Mil Spec 1911. From what I've seen the price is below $400 which I thought was a cheap entry price to my project.
Does anyone currently own one of these guns that could provide some input? Is it a worthy candidate or am I better off going with another brand? Or, saving my pennies and just find a Mil Spec Springfield?
Yes !!
Buy the Springfield Defender series .. see my above post 👆

I didn’t know that. https://www.sdsimports.com/category-s/430118614.htm I thought he was referencing this. I didn’t put two and two together...

I had never heard of that brand...I may have assumed wrong.

So—it's made by Tisas in Turkey. I've heard various things about their 1911’s, and the one's I've handled have ranged from not so good to decent...or maybe I’m thinking of Girsan? Either way, the Turkish 1911’s seem to be a bit hit or miss. For the same money, I'd get a Rock Island/Armscor...the Pinoy 1911’s are pretty solid.

But...for the slight bit more ($100, give or take), I'd get a Springfield Defender and go from there. The forged frame is a really nice feature that a lot of the budget 1911’s don’t have.

Last edited:
I had never heard of that brand...I may have assumed wrong.

So—it's made by Tisas in Turkey. I've heard various things about their 1911’s, and the one's I've handled have ranged from not so good to decent...or maybe I’m thinking of Girsan? Either way, the Turkish 1911’s seem to be a bit hit or miss. For the same money, I'd get a Rock Island/Armscor...the Pinoy 1911’s are pretty solid.

But...for the slight bit more ($100, give or take), I'd get a Springfield Defender and go from there. The forged frame is a really nice feature that a lot of the budget 1911’s don’t have.

Y’all may be right, just seeing the SDS threw me off. Yeah I agree for a little bit more go with the Springfield, if that’s not what he is referring to.

I was referring to the Turkish made SDS, I apologize for the confusion. I’ve thought about those gunsmiths who refuse to work on some brands and I get it. However it seems in my area the Defender Series 1911 almost sells for the cost of a Ronin which I don’t understand.
Perhaps I need to buy online?

I was referring to the Turkish made SDS, I apologize for the confusion. I’ve thought about those gunsmiths who refuse to work on some brands and I get it. However it seems in my area the Defender Series 1911 almost sells for the cost of a Ronin which I don’t understand.
Perhaps I need to buy online?

Could just be the current condition pricing...they were under $500 when they first came out.

Back