testtest

Should Your CCW Be Big, Small, or Neither?

I pocket carried a .380 for many years. As another posted said, I live in a rural area and don't go stupid places at stupid times with stupid people. But the crazies are out and about even in my community of under 100,000 people. So EDC now is a Hellcat Pro with an extra magazine.

For some people it takes a while before they find the right firearm and the comfortable way to carry it.

I was a die hard 1911 guy for most of my life until a motorcycle accident in 2015(and the 12 screws in my neck) made it painful to carry full size 1911s.

Nowadays, I feel well armed with either a Glock 19 Gen 5 or a S&W 638 Bodyguard J-Frame. I can carry either one of these firearms inside or outside the pants(lots of good holster choices available).

My favorite holsters are from Muddy River Tactical and Bravo Concealment. And I have recently become a fan of Kore belts. They're more comfortable than the leather gun belts I used to wear...:)

When I'm on my electric bicycle or on a walk, I prefer wearing a fanny back across my chest and will sometimes carry a Beretta APX. In that setup I top it off with a reflective vest to make me more visible on the road and cover up the fanny pack. If I'm on my electric bicycle I also wear a helmet that has lights in the front and back to compliment the lights on the electric bicycle. If I'm walking I carry a Jo(4 foot walking staff).

On walks or bicycle rides I also carry pepper spray for aggressive stray dogs I sometimes encounter.

For me a firearm is just one of the different tools(correct mental attitude, empty hand martial arts training, knife) that are part of my tool box for protecting myself and loved ones. I try to train one or more of those tools daily...:)

Hi,

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Should Your CCW Be Big, Small, or Neither?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/should-your-ccw-be-big-small-or-neither/.

Good article. It might be all in my head but I need at least a 4" barrel for any chance at accuracy. I'm lucky that my frame and wardrobe allows me to comfortably carry that size. Muzzle pads on my IWB holsters extend the comfort. I have larger and smaller handguns but the XD9 and VP9 are the only two I've carried out in the wild. Now I gotta go work out. I'm trying to avoid a belly band holster. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

The biggest majority of the time, a S&W 642 works for me. Based on what I have seen, if you are accosted by three or four thugs, they will start running and shooting over their shoulders as soon as they realize you are not defenseless.

carry what you feel comfy with and train with. my normal EDC is the Hellcat 15+1 w/147g ammo, however sometimes depending on where i am going or how i am dressed i may carry something else, in that case my go to's are a Glock 40 S&W 10+1 w/180g ammo, Ruger .380 LCP Max 12+1 w/90g ammo, or a S&W Shield Plus in 30 SC 16+1 w/100g ammo, with an IWB holster. No matter what you carry the key is be sure to carry premium defensive ammo. My defensive ammo used no matter what caliber is carried is Federal Hydra Shock or HST.

I carry for the occasion and comfort level. With the weather in South Florida, my Hellcat RDP with the 15 round mag does the trick. It's the right balance of defense power and the need to conceal with lighter clothing for most EDC situations. However, if I'm dressing fancy, I might go with the Kimber .45. For situations where I might need more rounds, the XDM Elite 9mm with the 22 round mag is used. Or, if I'm really fancy dressing up...the PPK/S .380!

JMHO, the one you will carry and can hit with. I'm not above dropping my NAA in my pocket. I can easily keep all five shots on a paper plate at 10 yards, rapid fire. (rapid being a relative term considering the manipulation of single action) Am I better with a 1911 hell yes, am I going to carry a 1911 hell no. Eventually/ sooner than later, I'm NOT going to strap on 1&1/2 to 2 lbs. of gun. Too lazy, not dedicated enough, don't take defending myself/loved ones seriously enough, etc. etc. etc. whatever :rolleyes: .
Mostly a 638 on my hip, but sometimes...... Love the one your with.

Back