testtest

Six shots a day.

Sld1959

Hellcat
Now this is something I have done, or tried to do, for archery for about 40 years. But could be done with firearms. As a matter of fact the whole idea came from handguns. I read somewhere that Wild Bill Hickock used to shoot, clean and reload his Colt Navy revolvers every day. And that made me think, boy that has to be great practice.

Weather permitting, no down pours or ice storms I shoot 6 shots a day from my bow. I walk out the back deck and shoot a quiver of arrows at my deer target. I shoot a recurve instinctively and this is something I enjoy and it just keeps my eye sharp.

It only takes few minutes and one day I might do it sitting one day kneeling etc. Yeah I can hear the doubt and yes, there are sick days, there are kids days etc. But I really try to do it every day. I figure the days I am home, and not traveling, used to travel for business before retiring from computer's, that over the years I averaged 3 to 5 days a week. More in recent years.

One quiver full seemed manageable and it helps keep that first shot dialed in and the most important shot. I find myself doing this a few times a week with my Model 60 that is my most carried handgun at home.

No matter what, it's a relaxing few minutes.

I shoot 10 to 15 rounds 5 days a week. Even at that it gets expensive with today’s ammo prices. The reason I shoot so often is because at my age muscle memory can be lost quickly. Because of muscle memory I can draw my pistol and shoot hitting the head at 7 yards with my first shot without aiming. Subsequent shots not so much.

On days I don’t go shooting I’ve still been known to take 5 shots...but that's another story.

five-whiskey-shots-weathered-wooden-planks-whiskey-shots-125359439.jpg

I shoot 10 to 15 rounds 5 days a week. Even at that it gets expensive with today’s ammo prices. The reason I shoot so often is because at my age muscle memory can be lost quickly. Because of muscle memory I can draw my pistol and shoot hitting the head at 7 yards with my first shot without aiming. Subsequent shots not so much.

On days I don’t go shooting I’ve still been known to take 5 shots...but that's another story.

View attachment 17947
Nice group!

From mid to late August through January 15th I shoot my bow every day. Usually off the roof of my house at a 3D deer target. Even though I don't deer hunt anymore, old habits are hard to break and I freely admit it isn't quite every day anymore. At least 4 days a week though.

As for guns, I typically shoot one or two days a week for an hour or two and 2-3 training days a month. Current ammo prices have dramatically affected that routine though. I am taking an advanced CC class on July 9th and a carbine class on July 10th with a police captain/retired Marine raider- instructor I know. That'll be 200+ rounds of .45 and 200+ rounds of 5.56. So quite an expensive weekend.

Back