testtest

Smith and Wesson Model 48: A Classic Rimfire Revolver

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Last edited:
I like the look of the revolver, but I wonder why S&W only gave it a 6-round capacity. My S&W .22 WMR J-Frames (351C and 351PD) are significantly smaller guns, but offer a 7-round capacity. I would have preferred at least a 7-round capacity in the full-sized gun. I'd probably enjoy shooting the new Model 48's, but I don't think the listed features justify the $1,000 price.

I like the look of the revolver, but I wonder why S&W only gave it a 6-round capacity. My S&W .22 WMR J-Frames (351C and 351PD) are significantly smaller guns, but offer a 7-round capacity. I would have preferred at least a 7-round capacity in the full-sized gun. I'd probably enjoy shooting the new Model 48's, but I don't think the listed features justify the $1,000 price.

With the exception of the 10-shot .22LR 617, all S&W K-frames are 6 shot. However...yes, an 8-shot 48 should be doable. I don’t understand why they didn’t do that when they reintroduced the M48 a few years ago.

And the thats MSRP...real price is more around $700 that I’ve seen.

Personally, I’d look for an older, pre-lock model. They can be found for $500 in excellent mechanical condition, but a bit rough on the finish.

With the exception of the 10-shot .22LR 617, all S&W K-frames are 6 shot. However...yes, an 8-shot 48 should be doable. I don’t understand why they didn’t do that when they reintroduced the M48 a few years ago.

And the thats MSRP...real price is more around $700 that I’ve seen.

Personally, I’d look for an older, pre-lock model. They can be found for $500 in excellent mechanical condition, but a bit rough on the finish.

S&W still makes the 6-shot .22lr 617. Never liked the looks of cylinder on the 10-shot, so I stuck with a 6-shot..

S&W still makes the 6-shot .22lr 617. Never liked the looks of cylinder on the 10-shot, so I stuck with a 6-shot..
If I am not mistaken, the 10 shot cylinder on the 617 is made of aluminum, not stainless like the rest of the gun.

If I am not mistaken, the 10 shot cylinder on the 617 is made of aluminum, not stainless like the rest of the gun.

Yes & No. The initial 617-2s were produced with an aluminum cylinder. Later, the 10-shot 617s switched to a stainless steel cylinder when S&W perfected the chamber boring process for 10-shot steel cylinders. The aluminum cylinder versions were last available in 1997.

S&W still makes the 6-shot periodically but only lists the 10-shot right now.

IMO they should go with an un-scalloped cylinder for the 10-shot. The cylinder scallops are for weight reduction & aesthetics.

Last edited:
Back