testtest

Smith & Wesson's Walthers

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
American laws have created a situation where German-made Walther PPK pistols cannot be imported into the United States. But they can be made here legally, and that’s exactly what S&W did in Houlton, Maine.

Smith & Wesson's Walthers

1646152921315.png

When did that happen ? The Q5 I bought a couple years ago is made in Germany. Same for the VP9 I bought. I know HK has a factory in Georgia, but I wouldn’t have bought either of those guns if they were made in The US.
Yea, the Walthers I have looked at were made in Germany, I know some years ago S&W was doing this, but I think that’s changed now

When did that happen ? The Q5 I bought a couple years ago is made in Germany. Same for the VP9 I bought. I know HK has a factory in Georgia, but I wouldn’t have bought either of those guns if they were made in The US.
In the past, the PPK version has been manufactured by Walther in its own factory in Germany, as well as under licenses by Manurhin in Alsace, France; Interarms in Alexandria, Virginia, US; and by Smith & Wesson in Houlton, Maine, US. Since 2018, PPK and PPK/S models have been built in Fort Smith, Arkansas, at the factory of US-based subsidiary Walther Arms, Inc.

Yea, the Walthers I have looked at were made in Germany, I know some years ago S&W was doing this, but I think that’s changed now

I've heard about the S&W Walthers. Mostly people having problems with them.

I was curious about the US law banning importation. It seems not to apply to PPQs ???

The article is a reprint from August 2005, which American Rifleman/NRA posted on 02/27/2022. I like a lot of reprinted articles, but they really should post a new paragraph or two if the original articles refers to laws or business practices that have since been changed. I would have found an explanation for the end of Walther's relationship with S&W almost as interesting as the article.

The article is a reprint from August 2005, which American Rifleman/NRA posted on 02/27/2022. I like a lot of reprinted articles, but they really should post a new paragraph or two if the original articles refers to laws or business practices that have since been changed. I would have found an explanation for the end of Walther's relationship with S&W almost as interesting as the article.
When I bought my Walther I knew that in the past SAW had made some PPKs. I didn't know it was because of a law.

The lowly Makarov (A Russian gun made by them, the Belgians and the East Germans) is a knockoff of the Walthers with fewer internal parts and remarkable accuracy in the E German examples. I had one. It was at least as accurate as the Hellcat even with its narrow notch and blade sights. I put a stainless barrel on it then let it get away from me some years ago.
The Makarovs were cheap then, I don't know now.

The lowly Makarov (A Russian gun made by them, the Belgians and the East Germans) is a knockoff of the Walthers with fewer internal parts and remarkable accuracy in the E German examples. I had one. It was at least as accurate as the Hellcat even with its narrow notch and blade sights. I put a stainless barrel on it then let it get away from me some years ago.
The Makarovs were cheap then, I don't know now.
They're still cheap. And still very accurate. I have 2 of them. Russian and Bulgarian I think. They were made in several E. European countries. Not in Belgium though as far as I know.

Back