testtest

So it occurred to me...what if I get it wet?

Peglegjoe

Professional
Founding Member
My EDC is an XDs 3.3 9mm. Today, I rode the motorcycle to work, dodging thunderstorms on the way home. I got home, the skies were gray but it wasn't raining, so I put on my cycling gear (mountain bike) and did my 5.5 mile cardio loop. (Yes, with my XDs on my hip).

I got home. 3 min cooldown walk to the mailbox and back, checked the heart rate, had my protein drink, and sat on the front porch...and the skies opened up.

Which made me think - I know water won't kill the XDs, but what would folks recommend for care after a soaking? I assume field-strip - slide off, spring and barrel out - but from there...air dry? Fire up my compressor in the garage and blow out any water? Fog with WD-40? Strip deeper than normal field/clean strip? Or just take it apart, shake water out, let it air dry, oil it up like post-cleaning...and reassemble?

Ok so my opinion from what I’ve read never us WD40 on a gun. Now I’m sure everyone has there own opinion on that as well.
My opinion
Take it apart, if really soaking wet, WARM it up with a hair dryer, clean it and oil it up.
Personally I wouldn’t use compressed air, that usually has moisture in it from the compression process.
The volume of warm air from the hair dryer should be enough to push any water out of important areas and dry it up.

A while back, I took a few classes that ended up very wet...pouring rain, but you still shoot in it. I know I ran my USP in one, some variety of Glock or 1911 in the others.

I would strip it down as far as I was comfortable, wipe off what I could, blast it with canned air in the nooks & crannies, and then let it air dry for a few hours...lube well and reassemble.

Usually, the large parts-slide, barrel, etc—are treated with some type of resistant coating, and will be fine...it’s usually small parts, particularly springs, that will rust.

Ok so my opinion from what I’ve read never us WD40 on a gun. Now I’m sure everyone has there own opinion on that as well.
My opinion
Take it apart, if really soaking wet, WARM it up with a hair dryer, clean it and oil it up.
Personally I wouldn’t use compressed air, that usually has moisture in it from the compression process.
The volume of warm air from the hair dryer should be enough to push any water out of important areas and dry it up.
I agree with the hair dryer.

Back