testtest

Springfield 1884 Trapdoor Failure to Extract

I will put this out to the community as this has always been the best way to resolve an issue with a firearm.

About a year ago, purchased a 1884 Springfield Trapdoor. Recently took it to the range, it shoots fine with the exception that is does not extract the spent shell casing. The empty casing had to be rodded out using a cleaning rod.

What is the likely cause? I am thinking extractor spring, were do you source one?

Unfortunately this site is not affiliated with the old Springfield Armory. It is a rather new, comparatively, entity which only affiliation is the name, and the manufacture of a few new versions of old Springfield Armory products like the M1a.

Which is not to say there are not some who may help in your quest.

I own original trapdoors. You have to be careful not to overpressure these old guns with modern loads. I would personally never load anything but mild black powder loads in mine. Overpressure loads can cause a case to stick, as can out of spec cases.

It has been theorized that one of the reasons for the massacre of Cuser and his troops at Little Big Horn was stuck cases and/or fouled chambers in the trapdoor rifles.

Paul Matthews has written a couple informative books on Black Powder Cartridge Rifles (Amazon) that are useful.

Back