testtest

Springfield Armory M1A: The M14 Soldiers On

Repost, but a great article nonetheless

ADA054AC-3F38-42BF-A1FF-F4A433D50C79.gif

I could become very happy hunting all Rocky Mountain big game with the Springfield Armory M1 SOCOM.

If I could find a carbine-length .308 Win that weighs about 6.5 pounds, I'd be in big game hunting nirvana. Carrying heavy rifles up-and-down high ridges of the Rockies ain't fun.

I could become very happy hunting all Rocky Mountain big game with the Springfield Armory M1 SOCOM.

If I could find a carbine-length .308 Win that weighs about 6.5 pounds, I'd be in big game hunting nirvana. Carrying heavy rifles up-and-down high ridges of the Rockies ain't fun.
Saint Victor .308 is 7lbs and I run a dual point/single point conversion sling. Easy to haul around and marches thru the woods.
My Victor .308 has taken deer as well as 300lb + hogs. Fantastic firearm in a .308

I have heard great things about the .308 Saint, how are the follow up shots on hogs? Can I get your feedback on it's usefulness past 500 yards? The .308 M1a loaded in Archangel stock really seems very reliable out to 700yards, have you been able to compare the Saint and m1a yourself?
Saint .308 out to 400 yard is farthest I have gone with a 4x16 scope. No issues, except for my personal shooting performance.
Follow on shots are quick and easy with the factory muzzle brake. Recoil and time back on target is like a 5.56 in terms of snap time.
I run an FN FAL, so cannot compare to an M1a, but in terms of use, the Saint is simply a more fun gun to shoot. Lighter, quicker return time on target, and easier to lug around the woods. I use the fn fal mostly supported from a tripod or end of 4 wheeler when hunting due to weight and 20” barrel length.

saint victor .308 wins the day and has prob 75+ hogs down with it. Lots of them on the run across pastures

I have heard great things about the .308 Saint, how are the follow up shots on hogs? Can I get your feedback on it's usefulness past 500 yards? The .308 M1a loaded in Archangel stock really seems very reliable out to 700yards, have you been able to compare the Saint and m1a yourself?

They are apples and oranges except for the chambering. I have both, I love both, but no way am I lugging the M1a around hunting. It's big and not light. Of course mine has a substantial scope and bipod on it which increases the weight but for a hog rifle I'd definitely choose the Saint over the M1a.

You are correct about the distance on the M1a. I have the Archangel version. It's fantastic. It can nail a 2-liter of coke with ease at 500. I haven't tried it with a 12 oz can yet. Federal Gold Medal Match works great through it.

Thanks For getting back so quickly, that's a nice hog count. I have been happy with a Scar for .308/NATO, but, wanted to get a 5.56 from Springfield, with the Victor...debating an Edge or a .308 and really appreciate your post. Trying to decide if a Viper Gen 3 Razor 1,10 is overkill and should stick to Trijicon
Buddy has a Scar. I have shot the scar, FAL, and Saint back to back. Saint wins hands down for under 400 yards for ease as time return to target, especially for hogs

Back