testtest

squibb loads

my favorite of the list -

3. An unfortunate continuation of #2 occurs when the shooter does not realize that he has a bullet stuck in the barrel, and he fires another round behind it; this is often followed by another form of malfunction known as a “kaboom.”
which is why when i shoot my reloads, i DO NOT rapid fire.

i only been reloading now (well as of this coming october) 2 years, and have probably reloaded about 5,000 rounds (exact number i'd have to inventory), but i have had at least 3 squibbs.

my favorite of the list -

3. An unfortunate continuation of #2 occurs when the shooter does not realize that he has a bullet stuck in the barrel, and he fires another round behind it; this is often followed by another form of malfunction known as a “kaboom.”
hmmmmm GUILTY
i did this a while back
i was shooting my reloads and fat dumb and happy
the guy next lane was shooting a LOUD obnoxious pistol that spit fire and black smoke, ( old cowboy pistol thing, POS)
i fired and my 9mm placed a hole in the target, fired again and he fired pretty much the exact same time and i wiggled and pistol fired but felt "off", i couldn't tell if the bullet hit target as i lost focus when the howitzer went off right beside me
pistol went back into battery and loaded a round
i squeezed it off and boom, it felt way OFF< and slide jammed with about 1/2 of barrel sticking out past the frame
I dropped the magazine and tried to pull slide back to open it and it was stuck

off we went to the house and i tried everything to rack the slide
the barrel was enlarged JUST enough to jam,
i called Springfield and a very nice lady walked me through a procedure to remove slide and take pistol down.
i have a pic some where,, i will dig it up
she told me to mail it back in original package and they would fix it
IIRC it cost me 130 to have to gone through and new barrel fitted
the lady at Springfield was a cool cucumber and very knowledgeable, she walked me through a OMG can i put this much pressure on the slide lock pin,....yep

i later figured i must have somehow not put the right amount of powder in the load and it had just enough ummmph to get to the end of barrel about 3/8 inch from end
so when new LIVE round hit it, it collided and blew both out
add in the asshattt next lane over doing that cowboy from holster stuff with a pos pistol. that thing was over the top loud and bright. even with ear muffs it was horrible

after than i changed my set up so my EYES could see each time primer dumped into the case using my dillion

Guys, don’t let ANYTHING distract you while reloading! iPad with an ancient Lee turret, but I run it as a single stage. I charge 50 at a time (weighing powder charge when starting and EVERY 10th round thereafter. When I have 50 charged cases, I physically, using a flashlight and my Mk1 eyeballs, verify that (1) there IS a charge in every case and (2) that the charges all appear to be equal. I then seat 50 bullets , moving charged cases from the loading block to the die, seating the bullet, and placing the finished round in a 50 or 100 round box. When the first 50 are done, I repeat the process. Slower than progressive? You bet. Less likely to have a squib? I think so. I’ve loaded more than 15 k rounds and, as of Today, I’ve not had an issue. Many many moons ago I saw a friend who was a cop destroy a 19 Smith shooting funky reloads (double charge). It was ugly. He wasn’t hurt, but that was because he was blessed, not because of what the reloaded had done. I do NOT buy or fiddle with reloaded ammo unless it’s stuff I personally reloaded. I know how I load, got no idea how Charlie Brown does. Remember that with a small case even a little bit of extra powder can raise pressure through the roof. If you get distracted, STOP, and pull those last few round you loaded and redo them. Slow, yeah, but the life you save may be your own.

hmmmmm GUILTY
i did this a while back
i was shooting my reloads and fat dumb and happy
the guy next lane was shooting a LOUD obnoxious pistol that spit fire and black smoke, ( old cowboy pistol thing, POS)
i fired and my 9mm placed a hole in the target, fired again and he fired pretty much the exact same time and i wiggled and pistol fired but felt "off", i couldn't tell if the bullet hit target as i lost focus when the howitzer went off right beside me
pistol went back into battery and loaded a round
i squeezed it off and boom, it felt way OFF< and slide jammed with about 1/2 of barrel sticking out past the frame
I dropped the magazine and tried to pull slide back to open it and it was stuck

off we went to the house and i tried everything to rack the slide
the barrel was enlarged JUST enough to jam,
i called Springfield and a very nice lady walked me through a procedure to remove slide and take pistol down.
i have a pic some where,, i will dig it up
she told me to mail it back in original package and they would fix it
IIRC it cost me 130 to have to gone through and new barrel fitted
the lady at Springfield was a cool cucumber and very knowledgeable, she walked me through a OMG can i put this much pressure on the slide lock pin,....yep

i later figured i must have somehow not put the right amount of powder in the load and it had just enough ummmph to get to the end of barrel about 3/8 inch from end
so when new LIVE round hit it, it collided and blew both out
add in the asshattt next lane over doing that cowboy from holster stuff with a pos pistol. that thing was over the top loud and bright. even with ear muffs it was horrible

after than i changed my set up so my EYES could see each time primer dumped into the case using my dillion
which is why i like the light kit i got for both my Dillon and Lee...it does a very nice job of putting light into the shell casing.

however when reload, i also do that slowly as well......as i know for a fact, i must have rushed the powder drop step.

even though both presses are set up correctly regarding the powder drop, i still remove maybe every 10th casing, and weigh the powder

Guys, don’t let ANYTHING distract you while reloading! iPad with an ancient Lee turret, but I run it as a single stage. I charge 50 at a time (weighing powder charge when starting and EVERY 10th round thereafter. When I have 50 charged cases, I physically, using a flashlight and my Mk1 eyeballs, verify that (1) there IS a charge in every case and (2) that the charges all appear to be equal. I then seat 50 bullets , moving charged cases from the loading block to the die, seating the bullet, and placing the finished round in a 50 or 100 round box. When the first 50 are done, I repeat the process. Slower than progressive? You bet. Less likely to have a squib? I think so. I’ve loaded more than 15 k rounds and, as of Today, I’ve not had an issue. Many many moons ago I saw a friend who was a cop destroy a 19 Smith shooting funky reloads (double charge). It was ugly. He wasn’t hurt, but that was because he was blessed, not because of what the reloaded had done. I do NOT buy or fiddle with reloaded ammo unless it’s stuff I personally reloaded. I know how I load, got no idea how Charlie Brown does. Remember that with a small case even a little bit of extra powder can raise pressure through the roof. If you get distracted, STOP, and pull those last few round you loaded and redo them. Slow, yeah, but the life you save may be your own.
The one I just inherited from my father is an RCBS single stage. Dies for .44 and .357.

I also brought home my two MecJr. shotshell loaders.

Happened to me 4th of July night.I knew "rut roh no powder" when there was no bang and no normal recoil and no muzzle flash in the dark .Dropped the mag ,locked the slide back slug was about an inch past the chamber. The spring in my beretta fs 92 is so stiff wouldn't even cock its self on just the primer fireing. WAS super glad i was paying attention. Revolvers I think are to worst with squib loads. JMHO

The most important statement in the whole paragraph: "I do NOT buy or fiddle with reloaded ammo unless it’s stuff I personally reloaded. I know how I load, got no idea how Charlie Brown does."

Couldn't be said much better Shibadog. And that's not a knock on anyone else's loading practices, it's simply cheap insurance for yourself. I will admit I have fired a few rounds not reloaded by me when asked, but if I did it was with great care and always in the loader's gun ... never mine.

Last edited:
The one I just inherited from my father is an RCBS single stage. Dies for .44 and .357.

I also brought home my two MecJr. shotshell loaders.
As old as the press sounds, it's likely an early RCBS model called 'Rockchucker'. It was a very popular single stage press and still is iirc. It will load anything you want to shoot, and it will be slow compared to some others. But slow is a great way to learn the reloader's way.

And the MEC Jr's are great little shotshell loaders. I've loaded many hundreds, maybe thousands of dove and quail loads on one. My yard son now has it out in N Dakota. The only change I ever made to mine was to replace the individual charge bushings with an adjustable charge bar. Can't remember who made it but it was quite a thing back when it hit the reloading scene. Nothing wrong with the individual bushings, just a little slower than the adjustable bar and requires storage space for all of them.

As old as the press sounds, it's likely an early RCBS model called 'Rockchucker'. It was a very popular single stage press and still is iirc. It will load anything you want to shoot, and it will be slow compared to some others. But slow is a great way to learn the reloader's way.

And the MEC Jr's are great little shotshell loaders. I've loaded many hundreds, maybe thousands of dove and quail loads on one. My yard son now has it out in N Dakota. The only change I ever made to mine was to replace the individual charge bushings with an adjustable charge bar. Can't remember who made it but it was quite a thing back when it hit the reloading scene. Nothing wrong with the individual bushings, just a little slower than the adjustable bar and requires storage space for all of them.
I have reloaded certainly thousands of shells on those reloaders. The old man has had them as long as I can remember. I haven’t used them in years though and will need to refresh my memory. I’m definitely going to look into an adjustable charge bar, at least for the 12 gauge.

which is why i like the light kit i got for both my Dillon and Lee...it does a very nice job of putting light into the shell casing.

however when reload, i also do that slowly as well......as i know for a fact, i must have rushed the powder drop step.

even though both presses are set up correctly regarding the powder drop, i still remove maybe every 10th casing, and weigh the powder

and i will add
when i load its me, my gear and coffee, no phone or tv . maybe a pandora station
this happened not long after i started the reload drill, very lucky i was
could say enough about S/A service after the event
even dillion walked me through a few things as well.

and i will add
when i load its me, my gear and coffee, no phone or tv . maybe a pandora station
this happened not long after i started the reload drill, very lucky i was
could say enough about S/A service after the event
even dillion walked me through a few things as well.
i generally have talk/call in radio on

Back