testtest

String Hand Alignment

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
It might be a good idea to try something different when working to improve your shooting accuracy.

1724900775930.png

Nice article. One of the biggest problems and the reason some where an arm guard is gripping the bow. Some people wear an arm guard to contain the shirt sleeve but a lot wear it because they hit thier inner forearm with that sting.

I find the biggest reason why people do this is they are gripping the bow hard which naturally tends to draw your hand inward tilting the string towards your forearm. One should be able to basically open your hand at full draw and the bow not move just sit cradled in thumb joint. Tight bow grip is also one of the the biggest cause of right and left misses I find.

My best friend had a terrible problem with this until he developed an unusual way of holding the bow with his wrist tilted flat and holding the bow in his fingertips not even around the handle. Very odd but it worked for him, he was an excellat shot til the day he died. We used to play horse all around the shootibg area, was fun. Even shot laying on stomachs arched upwards. I generally release tension but keep in place all my fingers except thumb and forefinger to keep the bow from falling, there is not even conscious thought in doing this, it's muscle memory.

I have not worn an armguard in 50 years.

Last edited:
Nice article. One of the biggest problems and the reason some where an arm guard is gripping the bow. Some people wear an arm guard to contain the shirt sleeve but a lot wear it because they hit thier inner forearm with that sting.

I find the biggest reason why people do this is they are gripping the bow hard which naturally tends to draw your hand inward tilting the string towards your forearm. One should be able to basically open your hand at full draw and the bow not move just sit cradled in thumb joint. Tight bow grip is also one of the the biggest cause of right and left misses I find.

My best friend had a terrible problem with this until he developed an unusual way of holding the bow with his wrist tilted flat and holding the bow in his fingertips not even around the handle. Very odd but it worked for him, he was an excellat shot til the day he died. We used to play horse all around the shootibg area, was fun. Even shot laying on stomachs arched upwards. I generally release tension but keep in place all my fingers except thumb and forefinger to keep the bow from falling, there is not even conscious thought in doing this, it's muscle memory.

I have not worn an armguard in 50 years.
I haven't worn one since I was a little kid and my parents had me taking archery lessons at a local range with a 25 lb recurve

I haven't worn one since I was a little kid and my parents had me taking archery lessons at a local range with a 25 lb recurve
You, are an archer, difference between these people who just shoot a bow, of some type usually with a million gadgets, and an archer. One of the best ways for me to relax is shoot the bow.

My best friend just was terrible for this. It was some kind of mental block, until he completely changed his grip where his palm did not touch the handle. When I taught people at the range it was hard for a lot of people to do, loosen up those fingers. I saw some nasty welts on those that did not want to wear an arm guard, yet had a death grip on that handle. Had one guy do it so often he was damn near crying lol. Finally he started relaxing.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one left who shot a bow with fingers (‘course my bow ain’t got wheels or cables or any “hi tech” stuff on it either.). Around here an awful lot have moved on from compounds to compound crossbow, with scopes😳. Kind takes the “hunt” out of bow hunting imho. (Similar to the muzzleloaders that take smokeless powders and are fired by a magnum rifle primer-they’re nothing more than a modern rifle shooting caseless ammo-a far cry from a traditional muzzleloader). If I was after meat I’d use a modern weapon. If I am hunting for the pleasure of the hunt, I’ll stick with primitive weapons,

Thanks for the link, Talyn.

I started in archery when my dad bought Bear bows for my brother and me. I was very young, about 7 or 8 as I recall. I always enjoyed shooting my little bow, but stopped at some point, probably about my teenage years. I bought a new Bear Kodiak Hunter once I got out of college and had a little money.

I practiced with my new recurve (this was spring of 1974), using the Archer’s Bible written by Fred Bear as my “mentor.”. I always shot bare bow. I started bow hunting that fall. My string hand alignment probably wasn’t perfect (or even very good. Regardless, I was a decent shot. I tried a compound bow but didn’t like it. I always wore an armguard to keep my jacket (or whatever) from getting in the way of the string. My grip on the bow was very loose, just enough to keep from dropping the bow. I never shot with a release, but my nephew did and he bagged 7 deer last hunting season. Maybe I missed something! 😊

Back