testtest

Stun guns. Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcd

Professional
Founding Member
I purchased one of these last year as they just became legal in my state recently. A license to carry is required to buy one here, and there was just as much paperwork as buying a handgun. It's even registered. Does anyone own or carry one? Are they even worth it?

I purchased one of these last year as they just became legal in my state recently. A license to carry is required to buy one here, and there was just as much paperwork as buying a handgun. It's even registered. Does anyone own or carry one? Are they even worth it?
I don't personally own one. But a tazor may help you legally if you ever needed to use it as opposed to a firearm. Does it have the probes that shoot out? Do you have more then one shot before it becomes a close quarters weapon? Most stun guns on the market are useless and more of a scare weapon because of the snapping sounds and spark. law enforcement carry Taser brand stun guns but the can cost up to $500. I have voluntarily been tased with a cheaper version and it felt like I got snapped with a rubber band. The other side of the coin is if the jurisdiction your in tasers are treated like firearms why carry an inferior standoff weapon that is the same size as a decent defense pistol unless there is a real concern of unintended casualties such as a security job in a busy place.

Last edited:
When I see LEO's using a stun gun or Taser it is being used offensively. Bad actor is trying to escape or failing to comply. As civilians if the bad guy is running away we have no longer the need or legal standing to chase after them. In the majority of circumstances that is. Always an exception lurking somewhere.
I don't intend to ever trust a life to some electronic gadget or spray. If I am in such concern then it's time to use the tool that will take charge of the situation. IMHO it sure isn't a Taser.

I don't personally own one. But a tazor may help you legally if you ever needed to use it as opposed to a firearm. Does it have the probes that shoot out? Do you have more then one shot before it becomes a close quarters weapon? Most stun guns on the market are useless and more of a scare weapon because of the snapping sounds and spark. law enforcement carry Taser brand stun guns but the can cost up to $500. I have voluntarily been tased with a cheaper version and it felt like I got snapped with a rubber band. The other side of the coin is if the jurisdiction your in tasers are treated like firearms why carry an inferior standoff weapon that is the same size as a decent defense pistol unless there is a real concern of unintended casualties such as a security job in a busy place.
No probes. Without advertising, it's the stun gun/flashlight variety. The store I purchased from had a promotion on them so it was the cost of a box of ammo. This would certainly have to be deployed after someone with bad intent got into your personal space. Not sure what effect, if any it would have in the colder months when people have on more layers, winter coats etc. I dont think it would ever "incapacitate" anyone to the point where you could walk away from them. I just found it odd that it is regulated so heavily and don't understand what all the hype (at the time) was about.

When I see LEO's using a stun gun or Taser it is being used offensively. Bad actor is trying to escape or failing to comply. As civilians if the bad guy is running away we have no longer the need or legal standing to chase after them. In the majority of circumstances that is. Always an exception lurking somewhere.
I don't intend to ever trust a life to some electronic gadget or spray. If I am in such concern then it's time to use the tool that will take charge of the situation. IMHO it sure isn't a Taser.
Agreed. A lot of room for error (malfunction/not being charged) and would give someone ample time to re-adjust their strategy and possibly overpower you.

Agreed. A lot of room for error (malfunction/not being charged) and would give someone ample time to re-adjust their strategy and possibly overpower you.
I carry strictly for defense. I will only draw my weapon when it's a matter of life or death. But when it's life or death don't want a Taser. If it's not life or death a Taser may tend to increase the threat level. Taser or Pepper Spray not for me.

Bears don't carry guns! Spraying a bad guy won't necessarily incapacitate them enough to prevent them from shooting you.

The aerosol can shoots bursts of atomized capsaicin (a red pepper derivative) up to eight metres, though the spray is most effective at short range. Bear pepper spray causes the membranes of the eyes, nose and lungs of a bear to swell and the result is a nearly total, yet temporary, loss of sight and severe restriction of breathing.

The inflammatory properties of the bear spray will affect humans in a similar way as it does bears. A person contaminated with bear spray will experience the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and lungs to swell and be irritated. The eyes will involuntarily close and tear, the nose will run profusely coughing will result.

It may take up to 15 – 20 minutes before relief from the symptoms are felt.

I'm not familiar with bears, or bear spray, and have no desire to have a close encounter with either of them. :)

It's safe to say you're not familiar with bear spray.
Could be a bad assumption to make in this forum. It is much different than pepper spray. You'll find out if you spray at the Bad Actor and you get a quick wind shift.
I don't care to use a weapon defensively that can turn around and be offensive towards me even without any input by the Bad Actor.
Bad Actors that we are most likely to be accosted by are not going to be armed with a Taser or Spray so I'd just as soon be prepared defensively at the same level they are or better yet at a higher level. Spray isn't for me.

I see the point of non-lethal options because I have no interest in taking a life but if it's you vs my family I will choose my family every time. Especially as if I am ever in the situation to choose one life from another it will be because the "you" put me there not the other way around.

Since the title of this thread is stun guns & your thoughts there's some things to consider.

A stun gun has prongs that must make direct contact with your target. If you want the perp to get into wrestling range then try to find a way to make good contact then there's a higher risk to stun guns.

Tasers & bear/pepper spray can be used with the threat at an albeit short distance. Tasers will incapacitate as long as the juice is flowing, bear/peppers spray incapacitates for enough time to disengage, or elevate to the next more lethal level.

I prefer engaging at distance & have enough time to disengage or elevate to the next more lethal level. Bear spray vs. a taser and/or a stun gun is my choice.

My .02

Could be a bad assumption to make in this forum. It is much different than pepper spray. You'll find out if you spray at the Bad Actor and you get a quick wind shift.
I don't care to use a weapon defensively that can turn around and be offensive towards me even without any input by the Bad Actor.
Bad Actors that we are most likely to be accosted by are not going to be armed with a Taser or Spray so I'd just as soon be prepared defensively at the same level they are or better yet at a higher level. Spray isn't for me.

Just like anything one must know how to use it.

I've been trained in the use of bear spray based on my former fed employment. And to qualify to carry it you had to get sprayed. I know how effective it is on humans.

Whether a firearm or a defensive spray or device each has it pluses & minuses. I know folks that don't want to carry a gun so I suggest bear spray since it can have dual use in our AOPs.

To each his/her own. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back