testtest

Surviving an Extreme Weather Event in the Wild

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Extreme weather is unwelcome at home, but it’s even worse when you’re in the wilderness/woods, etc.

1715704033629.png

When I lived & traveled the Rockies years ago I kept a few items in my company van for road closures or blizzards in Winter (apart from a good blanket).
An empty coffee can, full roll of toilet paper & a liter of methanol. Put TP in the coffee can, soak lightly with MeOH & light for a rapid heat source. And keep at least a half tank of gas onboard (you never know how long you might be stranded).

When I lived & traveled the Rockies years ago I kept a few items in my company van for road closures or blizzards in Winter (apart from a good blanket).
An empty coffee can, full roll of toilet paper & a liter of methanol. Put TP in the coffee can, soak lightly with MeOH & light for a rapid heat source. And keep at least a half tank of gas onboard (you never know how long you might be stranded).
A metal bowl filled with rocks ( like 1” clean) and a few cans of denatured alcohol will provide a nice heat source for several hours too.

We used to heat ice fishing shacks (back in the day before people got these fancy rigs on wheels) using a tobacco can (Canadian tobacco cans would hold a TP roll perfectly), TP, and methanol. I always carried a kit like that in my vehicle up north, in case of emergency.

We keep a basic survival kit in a 50 cal ammo can in each vehicle. Contains space blankets, 100 hr candle, weatherproof matches, water purification straw, metal cups/one with lid, survival food bars and water. If you get stuck in snow, off road, because of a traffic accident stopping traffic, etc. it can make the difference between being inconvienced and being in potentially serious trouble.

I tend to backpack, not the Pacific Crest type backpack, but just a few days to a week. Other than a tent ( I hate rodents and getting wet), a light sleeping bag, couple of MREs, several methods of starting fire, a titanium cup, various snacks, 2 liters of water, quality knife and firearm ( 9mm minimum). Sh.t, I am ready to go. Short dog of bourbon is nice, but not necessary…get some.

Last week we had a BIG event in the form of a large storm front resulting in very high winds, rain and lightning.

Many trees down, power outages & some building damage.

It would have been a handful if one was out in the woods.

The only time I've ever been stuck out in what  I would call an extreme weather event was when I was in the Army.

I remember one night we were at the tent city at the Vilsek training area.

In the middle of the night a windstorm blew up. The Tent City was GP mediums but they were on steel frames.

Screenshot_20240729_002818_Facebook.jpg

The wind came in and ripped those tents right off the frames.

We spent all night trying to get them back on the frames.

I've been through a couple hurricanes in Florida but we knew those were coming.

I don't even know how many tornadoes. I grew up in Nebraska but again we knew those were coming.

When I was in Germany we went to the field for a month at a time in the winter. We had shelter.

Screenshot_20240729_003221_Facebook.jpg

But I promise you the temperature was well below zero.

I ended up sleeping outside one night in an M1948 Mountain Sleeping Bag
FB_IMG_1722234857612.jpg

I ended up covered in the snow and slept right through it. Is near as I can tell this thing is the old army extreme cold weather sleeping bag but it's got a canvas cover that goes over it.

Back