testtest

Tail Of The Dragon

So we’ve talked motorcycles before but this is an INCREDIBLE picture of the fall colors surrounding one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the country.
I’ll never forget my run on the Dragon on my GoldWing, two up pulling my motorcycle trailer.
EED90637-5C32-4A41-891D-D859EBDDB48F.jpeg
6A50AA4B-24B2-4B80-AD71-78C0D312BD6A.jpeg

So we’ve talked motorcycles before but this is an INCREDIBLE picture of the fall colors surrounding one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the country.
I’ll never forget my run on the Dragon on my GoldWing, two up pulling my motorcycle trailer.
View attachment 11448View attachment 11449
Like the fall colors, bike looks nice also, but, I see you took the training wheels off the bike and put them in the back.....does it still help......🤪🤪🤪🤪

The Dragon is amazing but that entire area is beautiful, not to mention that the Cherohala Skyway and the Devils Triangle are amazing drives as well. I track my Miata on a fairly regular basis and I did the Devils Triangle on a day when I only came up on 3 other vehicles. When I got to the end of it my hair was standing on end and my wife asked if we could do it again. I had to be honest and say that if we did I wouldn’t try to do it slower and I was pretty sure I’d put it into the rock wall that lines a large portion of it. We were there driving our butts off for three days. It was wonderful.

Rode it once in mid 60's on a Ducati 350 one lunger. Then again in late 60's on a HD Sportster 1000cc Shovelhead (might be called an Ironhead by some). Yeh, it was a right side shifter too. 'Course they've straightened that out now! LOL! Rode 'em both from NAB Norfolk/Little Creek, Va.

Didn't even know what a 'bucket list' was back then, but it's on my list now to do it again ..... maybe! (y) (y):)

Edit: to correct the type of HD engine

Last edited:
Rode it once in mid 60's on a Ducati 350 one lunger. Then again in late 60's on a HD Sportster 1000cc Shovelhead (might be called an Ironhead by some). Yeh, it was a right side shifter too. 'Course they've straightened that out now! LOL! Rode 'em both from NAB Norfolk/Little Creek, Va.

Didn't even know what a 'bucket list' was back then, but it's on my list now to do it again ..... maybe! (y) (y):)

Edit: to correct the type of HD engine
"NAB Norfolk/Little Creek, Va."

NAB Little Creek: the lesser of the evils (imo) if you get stationed in the NORVA area.

My avatar photo is one of my trips down the Dragon - definitely a fun road, as long as you stay off the Tree of Shame! But as noted above - there isn't a bad road in the area. Cherohala is amazing. Honestly...the Dragon was about my least favorite road on that trip (a bunch of friends and I were staying at Two Wheels Only campground, making day trips out for four or five days) - all the roads down there have good surfaces, decent sightlines, excellent scenery, and there's always a nice hole-in-the-wall dive for some food, just "down the road" from wherever you are! And...the "other" roads don't have the traffic, the police presence, and the squirrel presence (people showing off for the photographers at every corner apex) that the Dragon has.

I'll go back to the area, but US129...meh. If I make it again, I do; if I don't, I don't. But it's cool to say "been there, done that".

Purportedly, a certain car company might have something to do with an annual "grey race" that starts in Alcoa, TN and uses the Dragon as part of a route that ends in Spartanburg, SC with speeds on the Blue Ridge exceeding 150 mph and speeds on the Dragon approach 45 mph on some of those curves. I might have driven the Dragon a number of times but I have a terrible memory.

Good luck with that. Blue Ridge has some of the most vigilant Law Enforcement in the country. Guys lose licenses there all the time. And problem with the Dragon is that there’s only one way in, and one way out which makes it easier to round drivers up. Mind you the Dragon polices itself pretty well if you take liberties on it.

Good luck with that. Blue Ridge has some of the most vigilant Law Enforcement in the country. Guys lose licenses there all the time. And problem with the Dragon is that there’s only one way in, and one way out which makes it easier to round drivers up. Mind you the Dragon polices itself pretty well if you take liberties on it.

The rumor is this event has been going on for years. Legend has it that at least one year a number of cars crossed into South Carolina with Tennessee and North Carolina LEOs hot on their tails but were stopped by the South Carolina LEOs from further pursuit. It is further rumored that all the cars participating had been equipped with state of the art radar detectors and laser deflectors as well as marine band two ways and police band scanners. It is further rumored that many cars were also equipped with brand new z rated tires and additional struts supposedly supplied by interested manufacturers.

I would think if any such event like that actually happened, all of the cars involved would easily do 0-60 in under 4 seconds and have minimum top speeds of 150 mph. A few ( in a particular model) would have been able to push almost 200mph. Hard to catch if they choose not to stop and the drivers have the skills. :cool:

Bear in mind, this could just be rumors and legends. ;)

I love the Dragon. 😇

Back