testtest

The art of off-hand shots

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Shoot Standing Without A Rest

It’s the scenario most hunters dread: Being caught in a situation that demands a standing shot without the benefit of a solid rest. Federal ambassador Jim Gilliland explains how to practice for—and ultimately make—this tough shot.

I noticed that in the "president's 100" many were shooting that way. Why wouldn't you use the sling when have it. Of course he didn't in the video which is fine. That stance doesn't help me as I've tried it, but could work for others.

It's all about having the rifle's center of gravity (COG) as close to the bodies' COG as possible. It's optimized for slow fire shooting.

1722431947379.png

Having shot on my college rifle team with heavy Anschutz match rifles indoors and M1 Garands outdoors in 3 & 4 position shooting we only used slings in prone, sitting & kneeling since it stabilized the rifle better in those positions. Not so in offhand.

1722432506858.png

It's all about having the rifle's center of gravity (COG) as close to the bodies' COG as possible. It's optimized for slow fire shooting.

View attachment 63394

Having shot on my college rifle team with heavy Anschutz match rifles indoors and M1 Garands outdoors in 3 & 4 position shooting we only used slings in prone, sitting & kneeling since it stabilized the rifle better in those positions. Not so in offhand.

View attachment 63395
Do you recall the weight

i often shoot my winchester model 75 offhand. i use a similar stance as in the video and can shoot it surprisingly well out to 25 yards. with a 28" bull barrel and walnut stock it weighs about 9-10lbs but it is nicely balanced. i've tried a hasty sling, but it didn't help much. fun stuff.

When you're aiming in any of the 4 positions you can see your heartbeat moving your sight picture, and affecting your shot at a bull the size of a quarter at 50 ft.

It took me 4 yrs to shoot a perfect score in all 4 positions in one match.

But I "lettered" all four years.

When you're aiming in any of the 4 positions you can see your heartbeat moving your sight picture, and affecting your shot at a bull the size of a quarter at 50 ft.

It took me 4 yrs to shoot a perfect score in all 4 positions in one match.

But I "lettered" all four years.
were those "timed" shots or do you get how much ever time you need per shot? i'm just going off the president's 100 post. also are those in semi or bolt actions when you shoot? i know nothing about any of the shooting sports rules. glad you were able to accomplish the goal!

I noticed that in the "president's 100" many were shooting that way. Why wouldn't you use the sling when have it. Of course he didn't in the video which is fine. That stance doesn't help me as I've tried it, but could work for others.
No sling because it isn’t allowed in the Standing position. In the Service Rifle class, it still must be attached to the rifle in Standing, but can’t be used as a shooting aid.

If we could, we would.

I grew up making almost all offhand shots (“supported” would have been leaning against a tree…).

These highly stylized “target” positions…just aren’t natural, nor fast to assume for field shooting/hunting.

That being said…they do work, really, really well, if you can get into the stance.

My experience.

I think most of us who went into the military in the early 60s learned offhand shooting, and the other positions, with an M-14. Earlier generations did the same with the Garand.

Back