testtest

The Mustang in the ANG after WWII

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The P-51 Mustang was one of the best, if not the best, single-engine fighter of WWII. It’s performance during WWII was legendary and is well-known even today in the general public.

Perhaps the least studied era of the Mustang was it’s use in Air National Guard (ANG) squadrons after WWII. These Mustang units filled an important niche in the American military system until sufficient jets were available.

1700521437498.png

Loved it, loved it!

My favorite part:
By 1957, the last American piston-engined fighter squadron was in the West Virginia ANG. On 27 January 1957, a F-51, serial number 0-472948, of the West Virginia ANG was the final individual Mustang on duty anywhere with any American unit. It flew from the West Virginia ANG base at Martinsburg to Wright Patterson AFB, OH where it, and the P-51 overall, were ceremonially retired; 11 ½ years after the end of WWII.
1700527405775.png

Not just this one (now on display at NMUSAF), but a number of other WVANG Mustangs survived and live on today on the Warbird circuit. My favorite of these is Toulouse Nuts, an original Temco-built TF-51D that served with WVANG. It has been 100% restored right down to its original colors and livery, and is now operated by the Collings Foundation. It was here on tour in 2015 or 2016 and I got to see it fly low over my workplace on lunch break one day. Quite a thrill as it was on the cover of a national magazine I had on my desk at that very moment. I tried to talk myself into buying a ride (IIRC, it was something like $2600 for a half hour, which sounds like a bargain today), and today I am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that, as I doubt it will ever be around again.

I DID manage to get some cool photos of it, though.

1700528021293.png

1700528096108.png

Back