testtest

The New Sig 6.8x51 Sig Spear (We Can Own The NGSW)

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Now for the first time this technology will be available to the U.S. civilian market with the MCX-SPEAR rifle chambered in 6.8x51 along with a family of Hybrid Ammunition from SIG SAUER. The SIG Sauer MCX-SPEAR platform also offers a new level of modularity allowing for caliber conversion between 6.8x51, 7.62x51 and 6.5 Creedmoor; and 13 or 16 barrel length options.

Sig Sauer MCX Spear 6.8x51 16" Barrel 20rd Semi-Auto Rifle - Coyote

1720225390915.png

I’d like to maybe see this in a Ruger Scout Rifle and maybe a M1a
The 6.8x51 is too high-pressure (80K psi) for the M1A, although there's down-loaded .277 loads.

Too expensive for me. Really like the caliber. Didn't pay attention to the rifle's weight and how many mags in a soldiers load out. If not mistaken these are some of the reasons the M-14 went away.
The 5.56 was found lacking for the longer ranges found in Afghanistan & other places with wide open spaces, with US troopers being outranged. 55 years later the need to correct that deficiency returned.

More...

The 5.56 was found lacking for the longer ranges found in Afghanistan & other places with wide open spaces, with US troopers being outranged. 55 years later the need to correct that deficiency returned.

More...

3200 fps with the 113 gr bullet is really cooking. 5.56 ammo reaches that velocity but with a 55 grain bullet and slows down real quick, no energy at 300 meters or less. Tayln fact check my numbers.

3200 fps with the 113 gr bullet is really cooking. 5.56 ammo reaches that velocity but with a 55 grain bullet and slows down real quick, no energy at 300 meters or less. Tayln fact check my numbers.
You're in the ball park.

Folks may not realize the 5.56 M193 was designed for a 20" barrel, and 300 m. desired performance based on the studies at the time.

With the shortening of the barrel to 16 & 14.5" (mil-standard) since, and the USMC moving away from the A2/A4 to go with the M4, that's resulted in a decrease in range, from 300 m., for desired effectiveness.

All that came to a head when the troopers were out-ranged in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But the 5.56 is not going away just used where appropriate.

Back