testtest

The Semi-Automatic Shotgun Dilemma:

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Inertia vs. Gas

1650472396490.png

If you’re in the middle of an inertia vs. gas semi-auto shotgun debate, here are the facts.

Inertia vs. Gas

Inertia-driven
1650472058695.png

Gas-Driven
1650472266819.png

Gas-assisted inertia drive. The Beretta / Benelli trainer in a video described it as exactly that. It's killing me that I can't find the link. The marines wanted a clean gas powered shotgun. Weight is always a concern for i-d guns. The engineers at Benelli knew it had to run, reliably and not be affected by all the crap a jar-head would attach to it. Combine the two. Use Berettas short stroke gas to force the i-d into operation if it wasn't already.

Last edited:
I own a M4.

I think you're confusing the M4 with the M2 and M3.

"Is the Benelli M4 gas-operated?"

According to Benelli..."Benelli's M4 Tactical is a unique, Auto-Regulating-Gas-Operated (A.R.G.O.) semi-automatic shotgun,"

and...

Benelli only stepped out of the inertia-driven box to produce the famed M4, which became the Marine Corps M1014 Joint Service Shotgun. The M4 is Benelli's gas-powered gun that uses the ARGO system. There are pros and cons to both systems when it comes to semi-auto shotguns.

The M2 and M3 are inertia-driven.

Is Benelli M2 gas or inertia?

Benelli made their bread and butter on their rotating bolt inertia-driven designs. These shotguns, like the M1, M2, and M3, proved to be reliable, fast cycling, and clean. Better yet, the system proved to be more reliable and simpler to produce than the old Browning long recoil design used in guns like the Browning A5.

The M3 holds a maximum of seven rounds and uses Benelli's proprietary Inertia-driven action system first showcased in the M1. The M3 is notable for allowing the user to choose between semi-automatic or pump-action operation.

Last edited:
It was a Beretta training video that I was referencing. Unfortunately I cannot find the link to the video.
I know, no proof, I get your point .

It was a Beretta training video that I was referencing. Unfortunately I cannot find the link to the video.
BTW the Beretta 1301 also has a gas-operating system.

Perhaps the vid you mentioned was comparing the Benelli M4 to another brand shotgun that was inertia driven, or to the M1, M2 & M3 which we know are inertia guns, as per the links above.

The new Mossberg JM940 has a virtually identical gas system as the Beretta. Incidentally, both have gas pistons. The Israeli TS-12 also has a gas piston.

Beretta calls theirs the B-Link gas system. Benelli calls theirs the ARGO GAS system. The clue is in the name. the presence of pistons ( which operate via GAS) does not make a shotgun an inertia or part inertia system. That's a fact.

Is Benelli M4 gas or inertia?

Image result for Is the benelli M4 a gas shotgun
Gas-

Benelli's patented Auto-Regulating Gas-Operated (A.R.G.O.) system is a simple, self-cleaning, piston-driven action. The A.R.G.O. system is a unique, short-stroke, dual-piston design developed for the M4 Tactical shotgun in 1998 for the U.S. Marine Corps.

“Inertia gas assisted shotgun”

@49 seconds @8:50 @1224

I to remember this verbiage in early Benelli marketing of the M4. In fact I heard it in person from a Benelli LEO rep early 2000’s. The video link, show another LEO Benelli rep, almost 10 years later. This verbiage is no longer used by Benelli that I can find. However, if it isn’t true, I am curious as to the early description of the operating system. Especially from the companies mouth. It seems everyone is an engineer. I had discovered early on, that the bcg was lacking the “inertia spring”…. Just figured the system worked as a whole, as described by the company….

“Inertia gas assisted shotgun”

@49 seconds @8:50 @1224

I to remember this verbiage in early Benelli marketing of the M4. In fact I heard it in person from a Benelli LEO rep early 2000’s. The video link, show another LEO Benelli rep, almost 10 years later. This verbiage is no longer used by Benelli that I can find. However, if it isn’t true, I am curious as to the early description of the operating system. Especially from the companies mouth. It seems everyone is an engineer. I had discovered early on, that the bcg was lacking the “inertia spring”…. Just figured the system worked as a whole, as described by the company….
Lots of people, especially reps, talk about :poop: they don’t actually understand.

Back