testtest

The St. Louis Slugger

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
No matter what you call it: The Double Ugly, Lead Sled, Flying Anvil, Flying Brick, Snoopy, Rhino, Old Smokey, the triumph of thrust over aerodynamics, et. al, the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom is a beautiful aircraft that looks fast even while sitting in a boneyard.

1702311580600.png

Note: The Missouri ANG first tested a one-piece windshield for the F-4 Phantom II. The one-piece windshield was principally adopted for its improved resistance to bird strikes.

1702314921397.png

The screens were made in a joint development between McDonnell & Goodyear & fitted to F-4E's is 1985 for a one year evaluation period at the request of the AFFDL. Although they worked well, but funding for the project didn't materialize, although the installed windshields remained fitted following the end of the evaluation.

The windshields were first fitted on the line to two Missouri ANG birds (68-0345 & 68-0351) which were from the first production lot of 99 F-4E's.

1702315068137.png

It's estimated that around 12 Phantoms that ended up getting the one piece windscreen, spread between RF-4’s, F-4E’s and F-4Gs.

More....

The Phantom Menace: The F-4 in Air-to-Air Combat in the Vietnam War

I got assigned to Elmendorf AFB to work them but when I arrived I was told I would be crewing the new F15's being assigned there. They used to fly them here at Holloman AFB both manned and unmanned. Finally retired them and now they use F16's.

After I was transferred from active duty to the Air Force reserves, I was hired by McDonnell Douglas building the F-4 Phantom II, a truly awesome fighter-bomber.
Yah, it didn't do too badly for an airplane originally designed and built as a Navy fleet defense interceptor. :oops: (y)

Back