testtest

The Top 5 Modern Trench Guns

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

What is a trench gun?

Any shotgun used in a trench meets the parameters, but let’s be a little more specific. A trench gun isn’t your typical configuration. It’s more about style these days than practicality. A good trench shotgun is a pump-action repeating shotgun. Can semi-autos fit the bill? Maybe, but the pump gun rules for this role.

The Top 5 Modern Trench Guns

1650231443083.png

Some cool shotguns. I'm not sure why someone would want a modern version of the trench gun. It loses 75 cool points just for being modern. Face it, if you want a modern shotgun there are way cooler guns than those trench guns. And the 590 Retro is seemingly awash with all kinds of issues. And if you want a trench gun it doesn't get any cooler than a 1897. So go get you an 1897.

Some cool shotguns. I'm not sure why someone would want a modern version of the trench gun. It loses 75 cool points just for being modern. Face it, if you want a modern shotgun there are way cooler guns than those trench guns. And the 590 Retro is seemingly awash with all kinds of issues. And if you want a trench gun it doesn't get any cooler than a 1897. So go get you an 1897.
Hmm… I was vaguely interested in the M’berg Retro. What have u heard about issues ?

Hmm… I was vaguely interested in the M’berg Retro. What have u heard about issues ?
I don't remember where I heard a lot of it, but there were some issues with shells dropping or something. Honestly I didn't pay a lot of attention because it's not a gun I am interested in at the moment.

This guy talks about it a little in this video. He's a strange dude, but he seems to know some :poop: and I kinda like his videos.

I think a Remington Model 10 (A5 Browning) riot gun would be cooler…there are some floating around with flaming bomb proofmarks.

And I just want the furniture off a 590 Retro.

I don't remember where I heard a lot of it, but there were some issues with shells dropping or something. Honestly I didn't pay a lot of attention because it's not a gun I am interested in at the moment.

This guy talks about it a little in this video. He's a strange dude, but he seems to know some :poop: and I kinda like his videos.

I just watched these videos again and besides the problems feeding and loading the thing that bothers me ( which he really doesn't mention much about) is the forend cycling back automatically with each shot with those slugs. And he had it on a bag which would create even more drag.

Obviously not all the 590s ever made are problematic, but more than enough to give me pause.

I think a Remington Model 10 (A5 Browning) riot gun would be cooler…there are some floating around with flaming bomb proofmarks.

And I just want the furniture off a 590 Retro.
That 590 I worked on for my brother in law last week ( there are pics in a thread somewhere) has wood furniture, but it seems it has been stripped. We will be pulling that off there and installing a Magpul MOE forend and probably a Phoenix telescoping pistol grip butt stock.

Man—that Tokarev TX3 HD looks mighty sharp. May have to look for one…I suspect it won’t be too bad on the wallet.

ETA: under $300? I’m gettin' one.
Here's one for around $250.00 at Classic Firearms @HansGruber . You can thank me or swear at me later ;).

Here's one for around $250.00 at Classic Firearms @HansGruber . You can thank me or swear at me later ;).

Thanks! I think I want to handle one first, but…that’s a damn good price…

Gonna stop by my local guy later today, may see what he can get me one for…

I've always liked wood furniture on shotguns. I own two of the shotguns on the list. I bought the Remington 870 Hardwood as a home-defense shotgun years ago, but never thought of it as a trench gun. I got the 590A1 Retrograde in 2019, and am surprised to hear that anyone was having trouble with them. Everything inside is identical to the standard 590A1, which is a proven platform.

I'm not as up-to-date on shotguns as I should be. I just realized that the gun in the video isn't a 590A1 Retrograde, and I was unaware that Mossberg made a standard 590 version. I'm glad I went with the 590A1 version of the Retrograde because it works, but I probably would've bought the standard 590 version if it had been an option at the time. The Ghost Ring sights on the 590A1 are excellent sights, but I prefer a traditional brass bead front sight on pump shotguns.

I've always liked wood furniture on shotguns. I own two of the shotguns on the list. I bought the Remington 870 Hardwood as a home-defense shotgun years ago, but never thought of it as a trench gun. I got the 590A1 Retrograde in 2019, and am surprised to hear that anyone was having trouble with them. Everything inside is identical to the standard 590A1, which is a proven platform.

I'm not as up-to-date on shotguns as I should be. I just realized that the gun in the video isn't a 590A1 Retrograde, and I was unaware that Mossberg made a standard 590 version. I'm glad I went with the 590A1 version of the Retrograde because it works, but I probably would've bought the standard 590 version if it had been an option at the time. The Ghost Ring sights on the 590A1 are excellent sights, but I prefer a traditional brass bead front sight on pump shotguns.
The problems aren't limited to the 590. The only difference between the 590 and the 590 A1 is the sights, heavy barrel and if I remember correctly, steel trigger pack and safety. And FWIW, my 500 is 30 plus years old and has had tens of thousands of rounds through it and maybe a year ago the polymer safety crapped out. I replaced it with a steel enhanced safety from NDZ. Barrel is fine, trigger assembly is fine.

The problems aren't limited to the 590. The only difference between the 590 and the 590 A1 is the sights, heavy barrel and if I remember correctly, steel trigger pack and safety. And FWIW, my 500 is 30 plus years old and has had tens of thousands of rounds through it and maybe a year ago the polymer safety crapped out. I replaced it with a steel enhanced safety from NDZ. Barrel is fine, trigger assembly is fine.
I remember reading that the metal trigger assembly and trigger guard were only added to the 590A1 in order to secure military contracts. There was little to no evidence that polymer assemblies had ever failed, but it was supposedly a non-negotiable governmental requirement. I love my 590A1, but I've put a lot of shells through entry-level shotguns without ever wearing-out or breaking a polymer assembly.

I remember reading that the metal trigger assembly and trigger guard were only added to the 590A1 in order to secure military contracts. There was little to no evidence that polymer assemblies had ever failed, but it was supposedly a non-negotiable governmental requirement. I love my 590A1, but I've put a lot of shells through entry-level shotguns without ever wearing-out or breaking a polymer assembly.

I'm not gonna lie, I would prefer no polymer anywhere on that particular shotgun, but as you said there is nothing wrong with the 35 year old plastic trigger pack on that gun. I had it apart for cleaning this past year and it's still in perfect condition.

Back