testtest

Then and now. 9mm ammo prices

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Supply and demand.
(NOT a political statement, do NOT make it one)
Ammo prices from 2/2020 to 2/2021 for 9mm CCI Blazer Brass 1000 rounds.

wow !! 😩😩😩😳😳😳

2/2020= $172
11/2020 = $499
2/2021 = $770

One could buy several nice high end guns if sitting on thousands of rounds of 9mm 😳😳

8932E1A0-24F8-4F00-B684-FADB959666C3.png
5C48C84B-9FF0-4063-911B-731DA597ED17.jpeg
5174C704-213D-4681-856F-8D8660E80689.jpeg

Supply and demand.
(NOT a political statement, do NOT make it one)
Ammo prices from 2/2020 to 2/2021 for 9mm CCI Blazer Brass 1000 rounds.

wow !! 😩😩😩😳😳😳

2/2020= $172
11/2020 = $499
2/2021 = $770

One could buy several nice high end guns if sitting on thousands of rounds of 9mm 😳😳

View attachment 15503View attachment 15504View attachment 15505
At risk of stating the obvious, ammo makers as well as the dealer middlemen are making a killing on the situation. No incentive to make it stop when you can make 300% (?) without additional expense.
Hopefully normal supply & demand will turn things around ....

The current ammo situation perfectly illustrates the problems of over-regulation. In all other forms of investment, people are incentivized to "buy low" and "sell high". Smart investors would engage in a sort of short-sale where they would sell their stockpile at $799, with the intention of buying-back the same amount when the prices returned to the $172 range. Even if prices never reached the previous low, investors could make a substantial profit by selling at $799 and buying-back at $399 at a later date.

When investors are reluctant to sell due to current or threatened legislation, the market is prevented from returning to "normal" levels. The people who claim that the extreme price increases for ammo are the normal result of capitalism are only partially correct. True Capitalism requires a free market. When any good is subject to over-regulation, there is no longer a "free" market. This lack of a free market is what leads to hoarding, price-gouging, and market manipulation.

Supporters of increased regulation need to keep in mind that these principles are true for all goods. It is inconvenient for shooters when this happens in the ammo market. It becomes a crisis for everyone when it happens to food, gas, or medicine.

The current ammo situation perfectly illustrates the problems of over-regulation. In all other forms of investment, people are incentivized to "buy low" and "sell high". Smart investors would engage in a sort of short-sale where they would sell their stockpile at $799, with the intention of buying-back the same amount when the prices returned to the $172 range. Even if prices never reached the previous low, investors could make a substantial profit by selling at $799 and buying-back at $399 at a later date.

When investors are reluctant to sell due to current or threatened legislation, the market is prevented from returning to "normal" levels. The people who claim that the extreme price increases for ammo are the normal result of capitalism are only partially correct. True Capitalism requires a free market. When any good is subject to over-regulation, there is no longer a "free" market. This lack of a free market is what leads to hoarding, price-gouging, and market manipulation.

Supporters of increased regulation need to keep in mind that these principles are true for all goods. It is inconvenient for shooters when this happens in the ammo market. It becomes a crisis for everyone when it happens to food, gas, or medicine.
Very true words.

Found MagTech 9mm fmj 50 round box @ $69.99 at one LGS yesterday. They can sit there collecting shelf dust.
Paid $14.99 for same ammo 2 months ago at different LGS. Thought provoking, huh? So are memories of where?
$70. x's 20 = $1400. per 1000 - Very expensive dust collector? Won't be back to that place anytime soon or ever.

Last edited:
Not every retailer has jumped onto the "Whatever the Market Will Bear" bandwagon. If you have a Dunham's Sporting Goods in your area, they receive ammo shipments every week, and do not mark up the ammo to any greater degree than before the crisis. (The real issue is knowing when they will get the shipments.) The ammo does cost more than it once did, but that is only because the manufacturers are charging a bit more.

The degree of increase that most are seeing at other retailers is simply profiteering done at every stage of the sales pipeline, which includes the distributors and retailers themselves.

I bought the maximum of 3 boxes per caliber two weeks ago, and the picture below shows that Dunham's is not raping their customers like some ammo outlets. The same box of ammo at a very large retailer/distributor (MGE) at this time was $49/box. When I asked the MGE sales guy about it, he said, "we look online every day to see what other stores are doing, and that is where we set our prices".

Attachments

• 9mm 2_21.jpg
    9mm 2_21.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Not every retailer has jumped onto the "Whatever the Market Will Bear" bandwagon. If you have a Dunham's Sporting Goods in your area, they receive ammo shipments every week, and do not mark up the ammo to any greater degree than before the crisis. (The real issue is knowing when they will get the shipments.) The ammo does cost more than it once did, but that is only because the manufacturers are charging a bit more.

The degree of increase that most are seeing at other retailers is simply profiteering done at every stage of the sales pipeline, which includes the distributors and retailers themselves.

I bought the maximum of 3 boxes per caliber two weeks ago, and the picture below shows that Dunham's is not raping their customers like some ammo outlets. The same box of ammo at a very large retailer/distributor (MGE) at this time was $49/box. When I asked the MGE sales guy about it, he said, "we look online every day to see what other stores are doing, and that is where we set our prices".
Was that 9 MM or another caliber?

Yup, is good place to go and keep going to. I plan on it.
But, never seem to have supplies very well sorted or displayed when they do have something around here.
Almost like visiting garage sales or flea markets from my experience.

Last edited:

"What the market will bear"
Results? Competition flounders until consumer rejects practice.
Is very poor business practice in my opinion and Business 101.
Shows greed and ignorance.

Yup, is good place to go and keep going to. I plan on it.
But, never seem to have supplies very well sorted or displayed when they do have something around here.
Almost like visiting garage sales or flea markets from my experience.
"...never seem to have supplies very well sorted or displayed when they do have something around here.
Almost like visiting garage sales or flea markets from my experience."

That's the way I feel whenever I'm at the local Rural King, especially in the small area where the firearms sales is setup. It tells me a lot about the store management when the shelves/merchandise is dusty and basically not merchandised.

Back