testtest

TMJ vs. FMJ

I have both, but prefer the tmj so base in not exposed. Less lead in the air or off your face when fired! Usually only Speer offers the tmj as far as pistol bullets go. there are more tmj type in rifle bullets.

Pretty much any JHP has a covered base...and there are tons of choices in plated bullets for reloading.

Federal's “Champion” line uses plated bullets.

Winchester's “Winclean” line also has a covered base.

Wasn't sure if they performed as well as FMJ. So figured I would ask.

I have had issues with .45 (Blazer or Champion...can’t remember which) plated bullets (TMJ) having their jackets stripped by my Baer’s rifling; in doing some close range drills, there was an obvious spray of jacket material embedded in the target.

But, I didn’t notice their accuracy being any better (or worse) than any other factory FMJ at longer ranges...so, again...ymmv. Usually, blazer & champion are some of the cheaper lines of ammo out there, so...pick up a few boxes and see what you think.

Just basic info as in if it performs like regular FMJ. Is penetration the same, reliability? I have zero experience with TMJ so kind of hoping for some expertise to educate me on this subject.

Just basic info as in if it performs like regular FMJ. Is penetration the same, reliability? I have zero experience with TMJ so kind of hoping for some expertise to educate me on this subject.

It should be the same as a FMJ of the same profile, weight & velocity.

That being said, sometimes some guns just don’t like some particular loads...

I'm not a fan of tmj since they first came out, as everything I've seen so far showed me that the plating isn't thick enough and the lands & grooves cut through the plating on several models including Glocks... allowing lead to be deposited in the bore and even goober up close to the crown if you shoot long enough and your barrel gets kinda hot. JHP and FMJ never does that. I almost always shoot outside so I'm not concerned with lead.

I'm not a fan of tmj since they first came out, as everything I've seen so far showed me that the plating isn't thick enough and the lands & grooves cut through the plating on several models including Glocks... allowing lead to be deposited in the bore and even goober up close to the crown if you shoot long enough and your barrel gets kinda hot. JHP and FMJ never does that. I almost always shoot outside so I'm not concerned with lead.
As always, shoot what works best for you! I mostly shoot outside and lead is not an issue. I have a g19, g20, g21, g22, g31, g40 and g41 that I seldom use standard fmj and there are a few jhp that have an exposed base. The hp with exposed lead I'm getting away from, only a preference! My 44mag makes it harder on selections!

Back