testtest

To bed or not to bed...

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
That is the question.

I'm building a rifle out of a VZ24 action with a Shielen No. 7 heavy varmint profile barrel. I'm getting the stock from McMillan and it's the last piece aside from casting an insert for the follower. Like a feed ramp, to help the .308 rounds feed better. McMillan offers full bedding since I'll have to send them the rifle for custom fitting. What are your thoughts? Do you get better precision out of a bedded or free floating barrel and action?

I have had both, bedded and free floating, when I shot benchrest, my rifle was bedded, my varmint rifles were mostly free floated. The most accurate rifle I had for varmints was the Ruger M77 Stainless heavy barrel, 26” barrel, laminated stock and was free floated, it was in .220 swift. Either way, it’s your choice.

Last edited:
That is the question.

I'm building a rifle out of a VZ24 action with a Shielen No. 7 heavy varmint profile barrel. I'm getting the stock from McMillan and it's the last piece aside from casting an insert for the follower. Like a feed ramp, to help the .308 rounds feed better. McMillan offers full bedding since I'll have to send them the rifle for custom fitting. What are your thoughts? Do you get better precision out of a bedded or free floating barrel and action?
Might as well, otherwise you will always question it. If you do it later youll be put at the end of the of the list.

That is the question.

I have both bedded and unbedded barrels/actions.

Free float the barrel IMO.

I had a 6.5 CM built by Little Crow Gunworks in Spicer, MN. since that's in your area. Did a great job.

Back