testtest

TRP 4.25 CC review

I recently purchased a 1911 TRP 4.25 CC. A few comments. The grips are very aggressive. Unless you have really tough hands you may want to replace them. I did. The only ammo that functioned reliably the first 500 rounds were FMJ hardball. 230 grain JHP from Hornady (XTP), Federal HST, Remington, and Browning would not feed. After about 400 rounds the Remington Golden Sabers started functioning pretty well but not 100%. After 500 rounds the other JHPs started to be feed better. The Remington Golden Sabers have a more rounded bullet and appear the most reliable so far. This break in period is to be expected but must be respected. I have not put this gun in my CC rotation yet. One other point. I shoot thumbs down. My left thumb rubs against the forward accessory rail and gets a little chewed up.

These are not faults, just observations. The gun is very nice and well made. I would buy it again (although I might wait for one without the accessory rail). Bill Wilson in his book Gun Guys says to expect to fire 500 rounds in his 1911s before they are broken in. Also, Bill uses Remington Golden Saber ammunition according to his book.

I recently purchased a 1911 TRP 4.25 CC. A few comments. The grips are very aggressive. Unless you have really tough hands you may want to replace them. I did. The only ammo that functioned reliably the first 500 rounds were FMJ hardball. 230 grain JHP from Hornady (XTP), Federal HST, Remington, and Browning would not feed. After about 400 rounds the Remington Golden Sabers started functioning pretty well but not 100%. After 500 rounds the other JHPs started to be feed better. The Remington Golden Sabers have a more rounded bullet and appear the most reliable so far. This break in period is to be expected but must be respected. I have not put this gun in my CC rotation yet. One other point. I shoot thumbs down. My left thumb rubs against the forward accessory rail and gets a little chewed up.

These are not faults, just observations. The gun is very nice and well made. I would buy it again (although I might wait for one without the accessory rail). Bill Wilson in his book Gun Guys says to expect to fire 500 rounds in his 1911s before they are broken in. Also, Bill uses Remington Golden Saber ammunition according to his book.
Yep, before I got to the second paragraph I was thinking just that…I have a couple Wilson’s and have owned/traded/sold a few more. Always 500 rounds of FMJ before trying any JHP. Hasn’t failed me yet. What HAS failed me is the weight of 1911s vs much lighter gun specimens, say a Hellcat or a Beretta Px4, at least for carry. Still much fun to be had taking 1911s to the range! Thanks for the review! Oh, and you’re also correct in that a carry gun should NOT be tearing up your hands while shooting or your clothing while carrying.

Hi,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I like my
Garrison (5" .45) and have been widow shopping a 1911 or 2011 in 9mm. I just need one more gun. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back