testtest

Twilight of catapult aviation after WWII

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Part 1

Because most photos of battleships (and cruisers) concentrate on the inter-war and WWII era, it’s generally assumed that catapults and seaplanes were always a fixture on them, but this isn’t accurate.

During the US Navy’s grand Fleet Problem I – XXI wargames between 1923-1940, a fine-tuned set of missions was envisioned for battleship seaplanes. They were”scout”, “bomber”, and “fighter” which did not match traditional definitions.

1 ) “Scout”s were to localize an enemy’s battleship line and determine an optimal course for friendly battleships to “cross the T”.

2) The “bomber”s were not intended for traditional attacks, but rather to sink weak ships so battleships did not have to waste time breaking formation, or expend ammunition.

3) Finally, “fighter” missions were not to defend the fleet, but rather to chase down and eliminate enemy scouts before they could report, as aircraft radios were not yet universal.

LAST OF THEIR KIND: The US Navy’s final catapult seaplanes during and after WWII

The Curtiss SOC Seagull

1700523494665.png

The Vought OS2U Kingfisher
1700523108582.png

The Curtiss SO3C Seamew
1700523632645.png

The Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk
1700523788695.png

Part 2

As catapult aviation met it’s demise in the USA, now-surplus Kingfishers were available for transfer to Allied navies for non-shipboard use. Additionally, on some WWII-vintage warships transferred abroad after the war, the seaplane crane was retained as a useful asset even with the catapults gone.

1700524450808.png

I can't imagine landing on open ocean waves in something like these. 3' waves are considered "light" seas, yet would pound the crap out of a float plane trying to land (in the ocean). I guess no worse than slamming an F18 (or any plane) into a carrier deck now that I think about it.

You ought see pictures of the mother ships recovering the floatplanes at speed..........

The center float had what looks like the cable cutter modern helicopters use, but reversed to act as a hook, the mother ship meanwhile hauled a very big net over the side and parallel to the ships course, floatplane sped up to the ships speed plus a few knots, and said hook caught the net.

Then the ships crane swung over to retrieve the bird while underway.

Video of it is a good show, and amazing to watch.

The advances made in aviation performance & tech were pretty amazing from the beginning to the end of WW2, as well as the advances made during the 50's.

The advances made in aviation performance & tech were pretty amazing from the beginning to the end of WW2, as well as the advances made during the 50's.
Maybe so, but inland 2' waves are brutal in a Cessna 185 if not impossible (for me). Ocean swells? No thank you! Those dudes had brass balls...

Back