testtest

U.S. Army National Guard fields new compact sniper system

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The U.S. Army has announced that Virginia and Kentucky Army National Guard Soldiers assigned to the 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team trained on and fielded new M110A1 Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper System at Fort Pickett.

1628268801024.png

1628268869346.png

Good post Talyn. It peaked my interest so I visited Knight's website. I would love to buy one of these, but it would far exceed the requirements and expense of a gun I would only shoot several times a year!

The M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System (SASS) and its SR-25 based variants are current program of record 7.62mm NATO sniper and sniper support rifles across the US Armed Forces and with our international allies. First fielded experimentally in the early 1990s as the SR-25, and quickly refined into the Mk 11 Mod 0 for adoption with SOF units, these systems were combat proven to be highly effective and efficient. Almost immediately, systems optimized for specific tasks were developed to meet the changing face of sniper and precision marksman employment; from 14.5” barreled 7.62mm battle rifles to even more task-specific 20” barreled precision systems. Current M110s are available in multiple barrel lengths, with multiple signature reduction device integration options, and with several options for improved user-interface. KAC’s constant pursuit is reduced weight, optimized length, and improved performance of the platform; based on user feedback, defined needs, and robust testing. Every M110 offered has been designed and refined for a specific requirement not otherwise available on the market, evaluated and validated to be suitable for the conditions of modern combat.

1628269683760.png

I consider my PSA PA10 a "poor-man's" M110, but really it doesn't compare to a Knight's.

I may get a longer-barreled 6.5 CM PA10 upper for more reach than the 18" .308 set up it currently is. I wanted a 20" .308 barrel but PSA didn't have them available at the time, like they do now.

My .02

Knight's 110 rifle "kit" sells for around $25,000. Hardly a Saturday at the range kind of gun, unless you want a lot of attention. I bought my Saint 2 years ago and I'm happy with it at this point. I think I'd be much happier with a 20" barrel, but I'll have to wait for Springfield make some available. Maybe even another upper with a 20" barrel if the marketing department is listening:)

I looked at a SA AR .308 but none of the models had the barrel length and features I got with the PSA PA10, plus it was a couple B's cheaper, and had a Geissele SSA-E trigger ($250 trigger).

If what I have read is accurate, we will soon see an AR platform M-4 type rifle fielded using Hornady's 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge). It uses a sleek 100 grain (or so) .243 diameter projectile that starts life at around 2750 fps but retains supersonic stability to 1200 yards and possibly a little further.
Projectile mass and velocity supposedly will enable it too defeat body armor all the way out. That was part of its original design parameters.

With a barrel, bolt face, and magazine swap existing M's could be easily updated.

Shortly after the press release was given, I saw Savage was offering a bolt action (110 Tactical) chambered for this round. I ordered one and have been waiting ever since.

I thought this would be a fun project to play with.

There are currently no dies or brass available from Hornady for the 6mm ARC.
For that matter, I have yet to see loaded ammo even though it is now being advertised.

Like I said, I'm still waiting...

If what I have read is accurate, we will soon see an AR platform M-4 type rifle fielded using Hornady's 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge). It uses a sleek 100 grain (or so) .243 diameter projectile that starts life at around 2750 fps but retains supersonic stability to 1200 yards and possibly a little further.
Projectile mass and velocity supposedly will enable it too defeat body armor all the way out. That was part of its original design parameters.

With a barrel, bolt face, and magazine swap existing M's could be easily updated.

Shortly after the press release was given, I saw Savage was offering a bolt action (110 Tactical) chambered for this round. I ordered one and have been waiting ever since.

I thought this would be a fun project to play with.

There are currently no dies or brass available from Hornady for the 6mm ARC.
For that matter, I have yet to see loaded ammo even though it is now being advertised.

Like I said, I'm still waiting...

"I thought this would be a fun project to play with." - Could be nice!

Have seen one single box of 6mm ARC since release.

Dies are advertised, but seem to be unavailable:

Back