testtest

Walther PDP Compact 5 inch Quick Review

SimonRL

Hellcat
As mentioned on another post I added a PDP Compact 5 to my burgeoning collection of guns from the Fatherland. I finally got a chance to get to the range late Sunday and the PDP performed exactly as advertised.
IMG_7560.jpeg
The Problem is I also took along one of my VP9s which also performed as advertised - which is to say, better. The PDP has a 5 in barrel and a shorter compact grip which takes 15 rd mags out of the box, but also takes the 17rd PPQ mags I run in my Q5 SF. I put a green Holosun SCS on because it direct mounts and also because the body of the SCS is molded to match the extremely aggressive slide serrations of the PDP and looks pretty damn cool. There is no question the PDP Comp 5 is a looker in a kind of chunky, brutalist way, but the SCS is as bright as a lighthouse and cannot be turned down (I’ve made it no secret that I’m not a fan of the SCS because of this) but I thought green might solve the problem. It doesn’t. In broad daylight the SCS is pretty nice but in the neutral lighting of an indoor range it dials itself up to 11 and creates a ridiculous starburst that all but obscures the 4 inch splatterburst targets I prefer at 10 yds - and that is just the 3 moa dot. With the dot/circle reticle it is exactly the same size as the target and you just have to assume you are on target because you can’t see the target at all. I guess for A zone shooting that’s ok, but when you’re used to picking which ventricle you’re going to hit, not so much so. I actually made a little cover out of painters tape to fool the sensor on the optic.
IMG_7554.jpeg
Not pretty but it worked. That being said my first 10 shots through the PDP were very good with a 4 shot group that was inside an inch.
IMG_7553.jpeg
All in all I shot two groups of 25 Top and Bottom. Target on right - VP9) that are very respectable that I think could have been tighter with a better optic.
IMG_7556.jpeg
The Stock trigger is not bad, about 5lbs, and I expect will get better with more rounds, but I hear a lot of talk about best trigger on a striker based gun and IMO that is not the case. The best trigger is on the other gun I brought - the H&K VP9. Now mine has had a trigger job, but out of the box I give the edge to the VP9. And the ergos on the PDP are pretty nice particularly if you change the backstrap to match your grip, which I did, but guess what? That’s right, the VP9 has significantly better ergos and shot tighter groups - which I’ll put down to the Viridian RX-35 (SRO clone) green dot I have installed on it. So what’s my problem? I don’t really have one other than I am totally smitten with my VP9s.
IMG_7557.jpeg

Perhaps with a dot with an RMR footprint and some mileage the PDP will give me warm fuzzies like the VPs and at $449 from Family Firearms I can afford for it to be just ok. The other bad news: My Gen 2 Archon Type B returns from a warranty stay at PTR on Monday and that’s the striker fired gun that makes me think maybe I don’t need so many VP9s!
IMG_7558.jpeg

with many different handguns out there i want to give a go i'd like to have hands on before pulling the trigger. @BET7 suggested getting hands on the 92gts before buying and it felt perfect. the grip angle was meant for me. i only have exparience with 1 walther (p22) and it's ok, but the issue is the takedown. when myself and my daughter was shooting it the takedown kept activating. other than that the gun was fine. the pdp com 5 looks awesome! maybe i'll bug you 1 day when going south......well more se.

As mentioned on another post I added a PDP Compact 5 to my burgeoning collection of guns from the Fatherland. I finally got a chance to get to the range late Sunday and the PDP performed exactly as advertised.
View attachment 64157The Problem is I also took along one of my VP9s which also performed as advertised - which is to say, better. The PDP has a 5 in barrel and a shorter compact grip which takes 15 rd mags out of the box, but also takes the 17rd PPQ mags I run in my Q5 SF. I put a green Holosun SCS on because it direct mounts and also because the body of the SCS is molded to match the extremely aggressive slide serrations of the PDP and looks pretty damn cool. There is no question the PDP Comp 5 is a looker in a kind of chunky, brutalist way, but the SCS is as bright as a lighthouse and cannot be turned down (I’ve made it no secret that I’m not a fan of the SCS because of this) but I thought green might solve the problem. It doesn’t. In broad daylight the SCS is pretty nice but in the neutral lighting of an indoor range it dials itself up to 11 and creates a ridiculous starburst that all but obscures the 4 inch splatterburst targets I prefer at 10 yds - and that is just the 3 moa dot. With the dot/circle reticle it is exactly the same size as the target and you just have to assume you are on target because you can’t see the target at all. I guess for A zone shooting that’s ok, but when you’re used to picking which ventricle you’re going to hit, not so much so. I actually made a little cover out of painters tape to fool the sensor on the optic.
View attachment 64158Not pretty but it worked. That being said my first 10 shots through the PDP were very good with a 4 shot group that was inside an inch.
View attachment 64160All in all I shot two groups of 25 Top and Bottom. Target on right - VP9) that are very respectable that I think could have been tighter with a better optic.
View attachment 64159 The Stock trigger is not bad, about 5lbs, and I expect will get better with more rounds, but I hear a lot of talk about best trigger on a striker based gun and IMO that is not the case. The best trigger is on the other gun I brought - the H&K VP9. Now mine has had a trigger job, but out of the box I give the edge to the VP9. And the ergos on the PDP are pretty nice particularly if you change the backstrap to match your grip, which I did, but guess what? That’s right, the VP9 has significantly better ergos and shot tighter groups - which I’ll put down to the Viridian RX-35 (SRO clone) green dot I have installed on it. So what’s my problem? I don’t really have one other than I am totally smitten with my VP9s.
View attachment 64161
Perhaps with a dot with an RMR footprint and some mileage the PDP will give me warm fuzzies like the VPs and at $449 from Family Firearms I can afford for it to be just ok. The other bad news: My Gen 2 Archon Type B returns from a warranty stay at PTR on Monday and that’s the striker fired gun that makes me think maybe I don’t need so many VP9s!
View attachment 64162
Do you have astigmatism Simon ?

Great review. I kinda had a feeling the VP was still on the throne, but I’ve heard talk of a “ fabulous” trigger on the PDP. Even better than the PPQ they said. Seems not I guess because my Q5 ain’t nowhere near 5 lbs and is definitely lighter than the VPs.

View attachment 64157The Problem is I also took along one of my VP9s which also performed as advertised - which is to say, better. The PDP has a 5 in barrel and a shorter compact grip which takes 15 rd mags out of the box, but also takes the 17rd PPQ mags I run in my Q5 SF. I put a green Holosun SCS on because it direct mounts and also because the body of the SCS is molded to match the extremely aggressive slide serrations of the PDP and looks pretty damn cool. There is no question the PDP Comp 5 is a looker in a kind of chunky, brutalist way, but the SCS is as bright as a lighthouse and cannot be turned down (I’ve made it no secret that I’m not a fan of the SCS because of this) but I thought green might solve the problem. It doesn’t. In broad daylight the SCS is pretty nice but in the neutral lighting of an indoor range it dials itself up to 11 and creates a ridiculous starburst that all but obscures the 4 inch splatterburst targets I prefer at 10 yds - and that is just the 3 moa dot. With the dot/circle reticle it is exactly the same size as the target and you just have to assume you are on target because you can’t see the target at all. I guess for A zone shooting that’s ok, but when you’re used to picking which ventricle you’re going to hit, not so much so. I actually made a little cover out of painters tape to fool the sensor on the optic.
View attachment 64158Not pretty but it worked. That being said my first 10 shots through the PDP were very good with a 4 shot group that was inside an inch.
View attachment 64160All in all I shot two groups of 25 Top and Bottom. Target on right - VP9) that are very respectable that I think could have been tighter with a better optic.
View attachment 64159 The Stock trigger is not bad, about 5lbs, and I expect will get better with more rounds, but I hear a lot of talk about best trigger on a striker based gun and IMO that is not the case. The best trigger is on the other gun I brought - the H&K VP9. Now mine has had a trigger job, but out of the box I give the edge to the VP9. And the ergos on the PDP are pretty nice particularly if you change the backstrap to match your grip, which I did, but guess what? That’s right, the VP9 has significantly better ergos and shot tighter groups - which I’ll put down to the Viridian RX-35 (SRO clone) green dot I have installed on it. So what’s my problem? I don’t really have one other than I am totally smitten with my VP9s.
View attachment 64161
View attachment 64162
Good shootin brother.
Curious about your Green Dot SCS... all of mine have multiple brightness settings. Soft push for on, push again for brighter etc

Great review. I kinda had a feeling the VP was still on the throne, but I’ve heard talk of a “ fabulous” trigger on the PDP. Even better than the PPQ they said. Seems not I guess because my Q5 ain’t nowhere near 5 lbs and is definitely lighter than the VPs.
It’s hard to beat the VP9. For me it’s the Goldilocks gun.

I have a small amount of astigmatism, but I have plenty of other optics that don’t bloom. The EPS and 507 C are super crisp in comparison and the Viridian is a perfect 3 moa green ball. This is just a case of being too bright under certain conditions. Unfortunately an indoor range is one of those conditions. It’s a common complaint with a lot of people. I’ll probably end up putting an EPS on it.

I’m sure the trigger will get lighter. My Q5 SF has a 2.5lb trigger and my P99s are about 4 lbs.

So update: I was playing around with the SCS this morning and discovered the override that makes the reticle super bright. I think I may have accidentally had that on yesterday. I didn’t stay at the range long, so it wouldn’t have had time to change back. I’ll have to make another trip to see if there is a difference.

with many different handguns out there i want to give a go i'd like to have hands on before pulling the trigger. @BET7 suggested getting hands on the 92gts before buying and it felt perfect. the grip angle was meant for me. i only have exparience with 1 walther (p22) and it's ok, but the issue is the takedown. when myself and my daughter was shooting it the takedown kept activating. other than that the gun was fine. the pdp com 5 looks awesome! maybe i'll bug you 1 day when going south......well more se.
C’mon down to the big city. Between @KillerFord1977 and me we can get you hands on on a lot of pistols and then there’s whatever they have at the range!🤪😜

i'll have to get used to factory ammo, cause those (well most i've been to) won't let you shoot handload/reloads. maybe i'll just put them in a factory ammo box instead of my 100 round cases.
yeah, funny thing these days. Some ranges check what you are shooting; there is one on the other side of the valley that actually makes you open your boxes and they hand check your ammo. Dang. I don't go to that one anymore. It's an outside range too, how about that.

So update: I was playing around with the SCS this morning and discovered the override that makes the reticle super bright. I think I may have accidentally had that on yesterday. I didn’t stay at the range long, so it wouldn’t have had time to change back. I’ll have to make another trip to see if there is a difference.
I can tell you the issue you were having with the SCS since the one that was on your VP are not issues I’ve ever had with mine. The auto brightness function on mine works way better than it does on the 507k, 507c, 510c or 512c

ya their Range NZis, err, excuse me, range officers, come by and check while you're on the firing line. No AP allowed - the backstop? it's a mountain for heaven's sake. I don't get it - nothing to burn or catch fire with.
I shoot m855 against ar500 1/2" and it doesn't do anymore damage than 210gr 300wm ammo....actually the 300wm does more. Haven't checked against the 338lm @ 100 yards (250gr smk's).

Looks to me that anything you shoot, you shoot well, Simon. That said, I was rooting for the VP9s (although the PDP is a handsome looking thing :cool:). I had to have a look into them and was kind of tempted, but the adult in me reminded me that I haven't even paid off the Echelon yet (I can be such a child sometimes), so it will sit on a wish list.
Enjoy your newest addition, and I look forward to your next range trip to see if the green dot cooperates.:)

Back