testtest

Why Police Training Must Include Counter-Ambush Techniques

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
(Part 1 of 2)

Over the past decade, ambushed on police officers have become a common theme. Whether they are responding to a domestic incident, traffic stops, and various other calls for service that police officers are sent to or self-initiate.

Most of the data is officer deaths involved in ambushes in everyday encounters to include, deadly encounters in which Officers sitting eating lunch in their marked cruisers, writing reports, or even taking a break.

The police car is the officer’s most vulnerable position for any cop. There are so many distractions and blind spots when a cop is sitting there. The computer, the different amounts of technology dinging and ringing everywhere. It is very distracting in that police car. Here is a question for you. Should Police Officers be trained in counter-ambush techniques?

(Part 2 of 2)

The Army and various other combat units have a formula when it comes to fighting. Speed, Surprise, and Violence of Action. These same three philosophies are used in the Law Enforcement community, specifically in specialty units such as SWAT, Narcotics, Gangs, and various others.

Those three parts of the equation MUST be met. If you lose any one of them, you’ve lost the initiative and the whole operation turns to ****.

1728841728624.png

Most LEOs are woefully undertrained. So many only shoot to qualify once or twice a year? I shoot with a lot of LEOs and military in USPSA & IDPA and almost all finish in the bottom 1/4 of the list.
IMHO, they need better and more consistent training across the board before worrying about specialty training.

Should Police Officers be trained in counter-ambush techniques? Absolutely, But I'll bet they get more sensitivity, "verbal Judo", fire extinguisher, training first. We had to have 120 hrs of training every year not to include unarmed self def. and firearms. You wouldn't believe the crap we had to sit though. I recall a Hazmat helmet that we would never see, let alone use, but it was an hour of "training".

Most LEOs are woefully undertrained. So many only shoot to qualify once or twice a year? I shoot with a lot of LEOs and military in USPSA & IDPA and almost all finish in the bottom 1/4 of the list.
IMHO, they need better and more consistent training across the board before worrying about specialty training.
Sorry you were posting while I was pecking out my reply. Please remember training $ are finite. Some/much training is mandated by the courts. Then you have the CYA training, so the dept. can protect itself, so if/when an officer makes a mistake the dept can throw him/her to the wolves. The only reason the admin. of agencies cares if an officer can hit a target, is because they don't want innocent bystanders to get hit and the dept. look bad and the chief cook and bottle washer has to answer questions.
After 20 years I had the unmitigated stupidity of sticking my toe in the training sewer of new guys. I did nothing that was against policy, yet all I got from admin. was you can't say that, you can't teach that, you can't talk like that,... When I showed them written policy, "doesn't matter don't do/say/instruct this that or the other. :mad:

SWAT gets more training with attention to tactics. Maybe more ammo, too.
Swat and Special Forces both are not the best shooters. Anyone can stand static and rip the center out of a target at 7 yards. You add in a little movement and that goes to crap.

Like I said, I have shot with SWAT, Green Berets, Marine Force Recon and Seals. Not impressed by any of them. Seals are the best though. Medics come in real handy when someone ventilates themselves.

This. Grandson’s agency requires annual for most folks, semi annual for specialized (SWAT) folks. He and his friends from work weren’t happy about it and built a range on their own on private property just to be able to shoot more often. The boy’s a decent shot, but after grandpa was able to put a round on steel quicker than he could a few years ago he quickly got the message and began working at it (along with his buddies). I introduced him to Bill Jordan’s “No second place winner” and the importance, especially for an LEO, of getting that first round on target quickly. He’s now a LOT quicker than the old man😏

Swat and Special Forces both are not the best shooters. Anyone can stand static and rip the center out of a target at 7 yards. You add in a little movement and that goes to crap.

Like I said, I have shot with SWAT, Green Berets, Marine Force Recon and Seals. Not impressed by any of them. Seals are the best though. Medics come in real handy when someone ventilates themselves.
That's not been my experience at all. I shoot with some of those guys and all the ones I shoot with are pretty serious guys. I also shoot with some regular street cops who know what they're doing. Maybe the difference is these guys all shoot on their own time and their own dime.

I forgot to mention that by the time I retired most training was done on the dept. closed web site, so training could be done at your desk and no OT for classroom. Of course, they had removed all of the speaker from the computers so as not to bother the lil darling "clients" formally known as Inmates.🤬 In effect one would sit and watch a silent movie with no C.C. and let the animals run wild. Then when the thugs got too wild the officer was responsible and reprimanded. :mad: Try taking a test to show you understand the training, were you have to get 100% of the answers right, and have no idea what was being talked about.o_O I used to like my job (WHAT A MORON). Now that I'm retired, I HATE that place more and more every day.
Did have some fun times though, and many funny stories. None of which I would dare tell for fear of others thinking what a sick B*****D I am.

Back