testtest

XD-E Questions

ChanceMcCall

Master Class
Can the gun be carried cocked and locked? If so, does anyone make a decent combat safety? What is the trigger pull weight in single action?

For those who have shot both the 1911 and this gun - how are they different?

Can the gun be carried cocked and locked? If so, does anyone make a decent combat safety? What is the trigger pull weight in single action?

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/review-springfield-armory-xd-e/139034. DA/10.75 SA/5.5. I don’t know what you mean as in combat safety? The difference I see in this and a 1911 is you can fire the XD-E in either DA or SA whereas the 1911 is SA only.

Just got an XDe and love the options. Yes you can carry cocked and locked. I especially like the fact that you can decock with the flip of your thumb (pointed in a safe direction of course ;)). I did not find a lot of pistols that seemed to have that. Have heard one of the Sigs does. I also never liked the idea of dropping the hammer using thumb and pointer finger with two hands. Seems ripe for disaster.
Really like the option for that loooooong, heavy first pull in DA...would be hard to mistakenly pull it (if you lacked trigger discipline.....never....;)). Think I read 12 lbs. Then follow up the second shot with quick, light single action....maybe 4.5 lbs. Feels lighter than my G34 advertised at 5.3lbs. I also have to holster and unholster during the day so I like having my thumb on the hammer when holstering. I carry chambered with hammer down and safety off.
Have a friend with the Hellcat and really like the feel of that gun and the capacity but still think the XDe is sweeeeeeet.
I have no 1911 experience to compare it with.

Fired the XDE a few times, never owned one (buddy does).

The SA trigger, when compared to a 1911, leaves much to be desired...considerable take up, doesn’t break super clean, has a bit too much reset for my taste.

In comparison to other SA triggers in DA/SA pistols...Sig & Beretta are much better (and there’s no comparison to a Sig SRT); I also think that HK P30 and USP's are a bit better, as well...it’s not as creepy as a 3rd gen S&W, but I'd prefer my 4506 over it.

However—I’ve heard really good things about the Galloway trigger kits/jobs for the XDE...but have yet to shoot one.

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/review-springfield-armory-xd-e/139034. DA/10.75 SA/5.5. I don’t know what you mean as in combat safety? The difference I see in this and a 1911 is you can fire the XD-E in either DA or SA whereas the 1911 is SA only.

I briefly looked at the XD-E at the NRA event in Milwaukee and was confused and disappointed. I had been told it could be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 but:

In the very brief time I had to look at the gun I could not figure out how to achieve this as I kept decocking the gun;
The thumb safety is far to small even if I had been able to figure it out how to cock and lock. If you look at the SA 1911s the combat oriented guns will have a larger thumb safety with a wider ledge to help assure proper disengagement in a hurry.

I carried light weight and cut down 1911s for years. If it weren't for the weight I would still be carrying them. What I keep looking for is a really light weight polymer 1911.

I briefly looked at the XD-E at the NRA event in Milwaukee and was confused and disappointed. I had been told it could be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 but:

In the very brief time I had to look at the gun I could not figure out how to achieve this as I kept decocking the gun;
The thumb safety is far to small even if I had been able to figure it out how to cock and lock. If you look at the SA 1911s the combat oriented guns will have a larger thumb safety with a wider ledge to help assure proper disengagement in a hurry.

I carried light weight and cut down 1911s for years. If it weren't for the weight I would still be carrying them. What I keep looking for is a really light weight polymer 1911.

Look at an HK P30/P30sk. V3S variant (DA/SA w/ safety). The decocker is a button on the rear of the slide, the safety works just like a 1911’s, is fairly wide and hard to miss.

The USP/compact series works the same way as an XDS, but has a lot more substantial safety. FN's FNX pistols are the same.

Or, of course, a Wilson EDC9...

Back