testtest

XD-M Elite Slide Heat issue

txn_n_az

Alpha
Hello, I'm seriously considering purchasing an Elite 4.5" OSP. I was able to shoot one recently and found that after about 20 rounds, the slide was extremely hot, making my off hand thumb placement uncomfortable. I've never had this issue on my XDM or XDs. Has anyone else noticed this on the Elite? Anyone know why this happens? I appreciate any (relevant) info. Thanks!

Hello, I'm seriously considering purchasing an Elite 4.5" OSP. I was able to shoot one recently and found that after about 20 rounds, the slide was extremely hot, making my off hand thumb placement uncomfortable. I've never had this issue on my XDM or XDs. Has anyone else noticed this on the Elite? Anyone know why this happens? I appreciate any (relevant) info. Thanks!
The slide in general, as in the whole slide or more towards the muzzle or near the ejection port? We’re your shooting outside in the sun, that alone will heat up a firearm pistol or rifle. As @Annihilator said “rapid” fire will also cause it to heat up quicker than slow fire.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it was outside, in full sun. Nothing unusual as far as temperatures here. It wasn't crazy rapid fire, just a normal sequence of fire. It seemed like it was the entire slide that was hot. I tend to put my left thumb up near the bottom of the slide when I shoot. I've never burned my thumb shooting thousands of rounds through my XDM. I almost immediately noticed the heat on the slide with the Elite. It is the desert tan version, so I was wondering if it had something to do with the Melonite finish. I've only ever shot blued or stainless handguns before.

I gotta say, that is unusual. I don’t think I’ve ever had the slide get so hot it was painful to touch, even in bright sun, even after several mags in rapid fire.

The only pistol I’ve ever had get too hot to handle is a P7...the gas piston right above the trigger gets HOT after a few fast mags, to the point of raising a blister when you index your finger on it...

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it was outside, in full sun. Nothing unusual as far as temperatures here. It wasn't crazy rapid fire, just a normal sequence of fire. It seemed like it was the entire slide that was hot. I tend to put my left thumb up near the bottom of the slide when I shoot. I've never burned my thumb shooting thousands of rounds through my XDM. I almost immediately noticed the heat on the slide with the Elite. It is the desert tan version, so I was wondering if it had something to do with the Melonite finish. I've only ever shot blued or stainless handguns before.
Shot in the dark here but do you by chance have a Infared Temperature gun? If so, shoot your XDM-E and check the temp then shoot one of your other pistols and check the temp and compare. Shoot a 25 shot string or the likes of.

My take could be everyone’s response to Temp’s are different, that being said I understand you said your other pistols don’t get as hot so yes strange, my XD Mod2’s Sub compacts do get warm but never noticed hot although I’ll admit after shooting them both rapid or slow fire I’ll lock open the slide and let them cool for awhile. I second BangBang’s suggestion and pick up a infrared temp gage to check temperature.

Back