testtest

XDm 10 4.5 vs 5.25

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
To those who have experience with the XDm 10, have you noticed any difference in the performance of the 4.5 versus the 5.25? I'm looking at accuracy and velocity. I'm less concerned about felt recoil.

I'll be watching this because my birthday is this weekend and I'm interested in getting an XDM10.

I have not put those two on back to back chrono testing, but speaking from my experience with 10mm load development in general, you will get around 60-90 more FPS out of a 5" gun vs. a 4" gun. So probably around 30-60fps difference between the 4.5 and 5.25. Standard disclaimer about powder burns rate, temperature, case packing, bullet setting, etc applying of course. A fast powder will benefit less from a longer barrel within reason. Slower powders will benefit more.

I have a 5.25 and really like it. No experience with a 4.5 but the 5.25 recoil is very manageable.

My 5.25 has replaced a G20 I've used for any years. The 5.25 is more accurate and user friendly than the Glock.

I've shot it in 4.5 and It's on my wishlist. Couldn't comment on performance differences but i'm way for likely to haul it around at 4.5 than 5.25"

I have the 4.5 and I really like it! The felt recoil doesn't feel much more then a .45acp and the accuracy of the firearm is better then most shooters will ever be able achieve no matter what gun is used. I've used lower power loads like S&B & Armscor and I've also used full power Sig elite performance. I think the pistols design really helps ease the felt recoil.

Great pistol to give you some confidence when backpacking!

I have the 4.5 and I really like it! The felt recoil doesn't feel much more then a .45acp and the accuracy of the firearm is better then most shooters will ever be able achieve no matter what gun is used. I've used lower power loads like S&B & Armscor and I've also used full power Sig elite performance. I think the pistols design really helps ease the felt recoil.

Great pistol to give you some confidence when backpacking!

Good to know! I have the .45 and all of my XDMs are 4.5. I was debating whether I should go up to the 5.25 when I eventually get the 10mm, but I think I'll stay with the 4.5.

To those who have experience with the XDm 10, have you noticed any difference in the performance of the 4.5 versus the 5.25? I'm looking at accuracy and velocity. I'm less concerned about felt recoil.
I personally don’t have experience with shooting both of them, but the only advantage you’ll get is accuracy due to a longer barrel and increased site radius. How much difference in accuracy can depend on the shooter. Your gain in FPS is negligible at those lengths. Other things to consider, apart from the other comments on this thread, are what your intended use is; CC (will be difficult with full size guns), open carry, competition, home defense, etc.

Back