testtest

Zwoll: Springfield’s Wood-Stocked Model 2020 Classic Rimfire Delivers Fun

Except for the rotary magazine over the 7 round detachable box and, my guns, cheap scope which has never been put back on, that brings back fond memories of my first rifle and the many thousands of round I have put thru it to this day.

I just don't think there is any rifle better to learn on than a wood stocked bolt .22. That wood a kid polishes about once a day, just brings out a pride no plastic furniture can ever match. And the. 22 will teach them marksmanship and provide table fare long after they get all manner of "replacements" which never quite will...

Except for the rotary magazine over the 7 round detachable box and, my guns, cheap scope which has never been put back on, that brings back fond memories of my first rifle and the many thousands of round I have put thru it to this day.

I just don't think there is any rifle better to learn on than a wood stocked bolt .22. That wood a kid polishes about once a day, just brings out a pride no plastic furniture can ever match.
A single shot is even better.

I learned on a Stevens 15A single shot bolt; you had to manually cock the striker for each shot…and decockimg involved easing the cocking knob back down while pulling the trigger…

And I was only allowed .22 Short; no long rifles.

Still have it, occasionally shoot it. It’s still minute of rabbit noggin at 25 yards with a 36gr short…

A single shot is even better.

I learned on a Stevens 15A single shot bolt; you had to manually cock the striker for each shot…and decockimg involved easing the cocking knob back down while pulling the trigger…

And I was only allowed .22 Short; no long rifles.

Still have it, occasionally shoot it. It’s still minute of rabbit noggin at 25 yards with a 36gr short…
Yep that works indeed. Ahhh the memories of those old beauties, bet that wood and bluing was rubbed and polished about 25,000 times in its day lol.

When I got a bit older my dad showed me how to steam out the dings and scratches and then glass a wood stock with a piece of old pop bottle bottom. Slowly rubbing the wood with the edge along with the grain compressed the grain until it was practically impossible to scratch. Then I refinished it with stain and hand rubbed it with linseed oil heating the wood with the pressure of my palm. I still remember his smile as he watched, damn I miss that old man...

Yep that works indeed. Ahhh the memories of those old beauties, bet that wood and bluing was rubbed and polished about 25,000 times in its day lol.
This one is ROUGH.

Has a blonde birch stock with no finish to speak of; bluing is almost gone…more of a “browned” rust patina. No butt pad/plate…was always missing.

My dad bought it for, iirc, $15 at an auction sale in the 1970’s. It sat in the farm shop as the “something needs shooting rifle” for decades (which did not improve the condition).

Every now & then, I think about refinishing it…but then, why mess with it? It works, and it’s earned that patina. Badge of honor, there.

This one is ROUGH.

Has a blonde birch stock with no finish to speak of; bluing is almost gone…more of a “browned” rust patina. No butt pad/plate…was always missing.

My dad bought it for, iirc, $15 at an auction sale in the 1970’s. It sat in the farm shop as the “something needs shooting rifle” for decades (which did not improve the condition).

Every now & then, I think about refinishing it…but then, why mess with it? It works, and it’s earned that patina. Badge of honor, there.
My Remington 41 (my Grandfather's) is in similar condition. Agree with you on the original "patina" and so forth. I'm looking forward to the day, hopefully this spring, when my Son and Grandson will become the 4th and 5th generations of my family to shoot it. ;)

BTW, a guarantee of 1" 3-shot group at 50 yards with quality ammo is not a big impressive deal. My Winchester 69A, Remington 581, and CZ452 will easily do that with at least one kind of CHEAP ammo. So will at least a couple of my semiautos, and one of my near-stock 10/22s will get darn close.

Beautiful rifle, and it may indeed deliver the fun, but not for me. Springfield Armory has chosen not to offer a left handed action. I'm a left eye dominant southpaw. I'll have to stick to Savage and Ruger for my rimfires.

Back